FICHT? is it evinrude’s version of optimax?

• wheel10
    madison, wi

Hey. I’m still on old carbeurated motors but looking to step up in the world. Debating between 4 stroke and 2 strokes (optimax). Is the FICHT DI stystem basically the same concept as optimax, a cleaner more efficient 2 stroke? What are the advantages and disadvantages between 4 strokes and optimax’s and FICHT’s. Performance, fuel and reliability? How about between different manufacturers (merc, yamaha, evinrude, honda). Is one better than the other? I’ll be buying a used motor 2000-2003 in the 90hp range. Any suggestions? Thanks. Mike

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I just left behind a 115 Fourstroke Mercry for a 225 Evinrude FICHT. Wow, what a great motor. It is the same concept as the Opti. It’s my understanding that the first couple of years they made the FICHT they had a few problems but they got all of the bugs worked out. I will miss how quiet the Fourstroke was but the power gain and hole shot is well worth it. If you plan on doing much trolling and don’t have a kicker, then you should seriously consider a Fourstroke. My FICHT idles at over 3 MPH and is loud, so I troll with a 9.9 Fourstroke kicker. Of all the manufactures you named I wouldn’t really say that one is better than the other, just a personal prefrence. Good luck on your decision and always try to make sure the motor you choose is within 80% of the maximum horsepower rating on your boat.

Just my $0.02

Ben Garver

wheel10
    madison, wi

Thanks for the input. I do do alot of trolling so that is good to know. mike

Dash4Cash
    Saukville, WI.

if your looking for a new motor, you cant beat E-Tech by Evinrude, lighter than the 4 strokes, more power, no brake in time, alot better on fuel consumption, even at idle speed, fewer parts to brake, very quite. no scheduled maintance for 3 years.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I personally would go with a 4 stroker in that engine class and year solely based on the reputation the DFI’s have received (and for good reason) for blowing up. It seems like the last couple years Merc and Bombardier have finally gotten things right but the technology is still fairly new and we haven’t been able to see just how long these motors will last

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

two strokes all the way. Opti or E-tec. Both are great.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I agree with Eron, I’m a Mercury guy so I will say Optimax, but both are great motors.

etecangler1

No 4-jokes on the back of my boats. Evinrude E-tec or Mercury Optimax is the only way to go.

2Fishy4U

Go new, and considering the new E-TEC comes with a seven year non-decling warranty I opted for that motor. Forget the older stuff because a few years from now you will wish you had an E-TEC. Yes, I am partial toward E-TEC.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.