Mississippi River at 694 bridge

• paul follmer
    any where there biting

Just wondering if anybody is familar with this stretch of river. I have heard many rumors thought maybe someone here could help me separate fact from fiction.

Thanks in advance

The fish where biting so good i thought it was yesterday

shayla

What are the rumors? That might help us to help you seperate fact from fiction? Anything to do with state record channel cats???

nick
    Lakeville, MN

or aligators

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Anything to do with state record channel cats???

Somebody mention state record channels???

Wasn’t it P2 that had a gator last year?

I’ve seen prop boats out there…but I’m not brave enough to take mine. I’ve walked the shore line about a mile south of the Coon Rapids Dam with a fly rod…pretty good smallie fishing 20 years ago…I’m guessing it would still be the same.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

What would you like to know???? The stretch is primarily shallow, real shallow, and fast. The banks are totally carved and offer very little in cover. There are a couple of islands, but little is fishable. The best spots that I have found have been around where Coon and Rice creek pour in. It’s the little things on this stretch that hold fish. 1 rock, log or boat lift can make or break ya. This stretch is super shallow, avg depth probably 3′ in the summer. Lots of dead ends, rocks galore, and even 6″ deep sand flats. I have tried for many species, many different ways, with moderate success. I can say that last year I saw a high 40’s class ski just down from the gate where Rice Creek pours into the Miss. As far as cats go, the best spot that I have found is where Coon Creek pours in, south side of the CR Dam park. There is a bridge there, stand on the up stream side and fish down with crawlers, Berkley Cat Nuggets (don’t know if that is what they are called), and cut suckers. cast down to the first downfall from the confluence, fast current, but something holds them. Caught and seen many 5#+ class channels, park closes at dark so I haven’t been able to stay. Smallies cling to anything that breaks current, no matter how big or small. Salt and Pepper Chomper’s Tube in the summer is awesome, cranks the rest of the time. Bombers, Yo-Zuri, and Glass Raps are best.

Running out of ideas and beer, PM me if want to know more.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

How’s that for service!

Thanks Dan!

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Thanks evryone for your help i should have been more specific. I heard rumors of on touched walleye action there no real specifics just great action that is what I was looking for. I fish the river north of Otsego just was wondering what was south of there especially this stretch.

shayla

Never heard that rumor before, but I believe it! You have some pretty good walleye fishing up there by Otsego, too! I have heard of some very large channels coming out of the stretch right around 694 though if that interests you? Overall, the rivers around here are pretty much untapped walleye fisheries if a guy takes the time to go exploring…Good Luck down there if you try it!

deeplake
    Iron, mn

the fishing is much better by the dam or above it.. dan and i caught smallmouth like crazy trolling with crankbaits, using tube jigs and topwaters. the biggest i saw was 22 inches, and was caught back to back with another smallie. we used to string corn up a good size hook and even up the line a ways and let it sit on the bottom with a wieght about 6 inches up, very good if you want to catch big carp, the doughbait seemed to work well for cats and ive even seen some nice crappies pulled out of the main dam (coon rapids side.. if you have time to burn try the corn or doughbait, or soak a sucker by that fishing dock see if you cant pull out a walleye…. good luck

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.