MN-WI boat title transfers..questions?

• cet
    Western Wisconsin

Does anyone know how long it takes and how transferring titles works if a WI resident were to buy a boat from a private party in MN? I was told it takes few weeks to get title done -however- if you have to pay other party for the boat to pay off loan u get the boat but no title??? wtail

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is what I know about a WI resident (me) buying a boat from a private party in MN. All you will need is the signed blue registration card from the previous owner. If the boat has a clean title, you will also need that. Then take that to the DNR office, and fill out the appropriate form. From there, you will recieve a copy of the form and a receipt of payment. Your new title and registration will be mailed to you in a few weeks. You may operate the boat before the new rigistration and/or title arrives. I can’t help you with a boat that has a lein on it, however.

cet
    Western Wisconsin

Ok ..thanks for your input ..I dont know if its something I should get into or not .feels wierd buying a boat and not getting the title and praying that it comes to me.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

If there is a lien(sp?) on the boat, arrange to pay for the boat at the place that has the lien on the boat(usually the persons bank). Make the check out to the owner, and the bank that holds the lien.. the bank will keep what portion is owed to them, and give the boat owners what is left.. and issue you the lien card at the time its paid off.

The title will do you nothing by itself if there is a lean against it.. you must have the lien card along with the title to transfer it into your own name.

This is the only way to buy anything with a lean against it. We bought a car from a guy with a lean against it, and he failed to pay off the lean when we purchased it. The title was no more than a peice of paper without the lean, and the previous owners still have legal interest in the item until that lein is paid off… trust me, you dont want to go down that road. Make the check/money order out to the lean card holder and boat owner. They will explain to you at the bank how to do it properly and you will have no problems.

cet
    Western Wisconsin

OK..thanks so much for your help. Wtail

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.