Mathews or Hoyt

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I know eveybody’s got their mind on open water right now, but I have a tough decision to make. New Mathews Switchback or the Hoyt Trykon? I shot a Hoyt last year and really liked it, I’ve also heard that people with a Mathews swear by em! Any input?

prieser
    Byron, MN

My personal opinion is Hoyt. I have shot 3 differnt Hoyts in my hunting career. It is the only brand of bow that I have shot, so I can not vouch for the Mathews. But everyone I know that has shot them is a die hard Swithback user.

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

fishinfreak,

I hunted with a mathews bow for several years before I sold it. I can not imagine a better bow. I’m sure the Hoyt is probably a beautiful bow as well. Once you get into the top end bows I really think it’s personal preference. If you’re going to spend the bucks to get top of the line, take the time to shoot them all and decide what YOU like.

Someday I’ll buy another bow and get back into the sport. The first bow I’ll try is a Mathews, but I will shoot others just to be sure.

This is a great time to buy too. Be sure to let us know what brand/model you settle on.

Scott

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

To be honest, either bow is an excellent choice We can’t make the decision for you, you have to do that for yourself Shoot them both and go from there.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

To be honest, either bow is an excellent choice We can’t make the decision for you, you have to do that for yourself Shoot them both and go from there.

Elementary my Dear Watson!

Go shoot both at a dealer and let yourself tell you what fits you best. This is the only way that you know you are making the right decision.

PS – FF, I’m always thinking Whitetails no matter what time of year it is

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Oh! They both fit, and shoot awesome! I’m waiting on a call from the archery shop!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Yeah Ripper I hear ya! I can’t take it anymore, I think my seasons are all screwed up. Just got the boat out of storage and I’m dreaming of pass throughs

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Anybody got the Dream Season suit?………I’m actually wearing it right now I need help!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Got the call! I got a pretty sweet deal.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

FF, I just happen to have a Dream Suit

I don’t have mine on right now like a crazy person but I have one and had it on when I shot this Big Boy with my MATTHEWS

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I was in the same situation except with mathews and bowtech.i haven’t shot a hoyt so i can’t give you my oppinion on that. if you go with mathews i gaurentee youll be satisfied!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

FF, I just happen to have a Dream Suit

Is that the new 700-800 dollar light weight suit. I have heard about them, and am in the market for a new set. Don’t know if any clothing is worth that kind of money. It seems to me that they just are not durable enough. The Scent-Lok set I have now is only 3 years old and it is falling apart. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this the norm.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Ripper, that is one sweet buck! I ended up with 4 does and complete miss on the biggest buck of my life

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Prieser, The DREAM SEASON suit is awesome, I even wear it durring rifle season with a vest! I paid around 300$ last fall. In fact Gander has them on sale right now!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Prieser,

DreamSeason Suite is $149 for the Top and $139 for the bottoms. What suit do you have? I have 4-5 different Scent blocker Suits and none have showed wear. My oldest one is probably 5 years old. I only really wash them 2 times a year on norm. Once befroe I wear that particular one. Then perhaps again before the rut, if I plan on wearing again. I do dry mine after a few times in stand, but do not wash them often. Not sure the problem there.

I have an Ultra Lite Suit, & 2 different Pro-Tec suits (one with Wind blocker and one with out), I have an extreme Liner suit (Black and 100 SPF compared to most 40 or 60 SPF), The Dream Season suit and I have a few Scent Lok suits also.

To make thngs worse I have been eyeing up a Scent Blocker Alpha Suit . They changed their design a little and made it way more quiet. This is key I feel. That is the reason I like the Dream Season and Pro-Tec (without Wind Blocker), they are deadly quiet.

6 more months

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I have a older Scent Lock suit also. Like Ripper said I only wash mine 2 times maybe 3 times a year. Maybe you’re washing it too much?!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

The dream season is a good overall suit. You can wear it ealry season. I wear my moisture wicking tee shirt to the stand and once I get cooled down I put on my jacket. You can layer underneathe it once the cold comes. There is only thing I do not like about it. I like the Hardwoods Pattern better for later season hunting say Late October and November. The Mossy Oak pattern is just to green and dark in my opinion. This is where I opt for my Pro-Tec suit. It is a little warmer and just geels good at that time of year and I have the Hardwoods Pattern on it. If it is real cold I have my 100 SPF Extreme Liner on beneath. This thing is REALLY WARM. I can’t wear it to the tree. I have to put it on once I’m real close. If I’m sitting al day I usually put this on with the Prot tec over the top. I have been out in 10-20 below with this liner on and kept warm.

Man you guys got me all rev’d up

2nd time today somone has got me going. First it was off shore fishing now it’s bowhunting whitetails

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I don’t know anything about bowhunting- –but, I have owned hoyt-bear-jennings-bowtech-mathews….and probably a few others- Mathews gets my vote… I swear by it as well. It is the most accurate forgiving bow on the market in my honest opinion- You won’t go wrong either way- they are both AMAZING bows. I know Matt Macphearson (sp) and he is always going to be on the cutting edge with bow technology- The guy is a brain- I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next year…

Let us know what you get…

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

The winner is………………….

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Make sure you knock an arrow before releasing that bad boy My buddy shoots a newer Hoyt and loves it. I gave him a hard time about buying a Hoyt, but it shoots very nice. It is quick, fairly quiet , and a flat shooter. I am positive you will like your new Hoyt

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I had a V Tech, that was awesome, and I’ve shot the Trykon and the Switchback for about 3 months now. Both bows are awesome, I just felt a little more comfortable with the Hoyt.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

What was the deciding factor FF?

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I had been shooting the V Tech, I guess I just felt fammiliar with the Trykon. Both are really sweet though. Plus now I don’t have to take the Hoyt sticker off my truck! just kidding

cet
    Western Wisconsin

Personally, I shoot a matthews and have had huge success because of the speed, consistency, and how flat it shoots. I shoot thunderhead 100 grain broadheads and use only 1 pin for my yardage from 5-25 yards..thats very nice. Also, Matthews is made in Wisconsin (Hoyt made in Utah). Remember, make sure you buy from a dealer who is available during the BUSY fall season and knows your bow so that if something happens during the hunting season-you will get a quick fix and be back out in the woods.
    WTAIL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.