Gastric Bypass

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Anyone here in IDA had this surgery? I’m considering and looking for some feedback. I realize it depends on the person and the surgeon. I can go to the U of M and have a surgeon in mind..

Thanks

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I haven’t personally, but my neighor recently had the surgery. If you have any specific questions, I’d be more than happy to get you in touch with her. I don’t know how much weight she has lost, but I’m guessing in the 100lbs range.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I did in 1985,380 at my peak,today 195#plus or minus a few.Not for everyone but my back and knees are very gratefull!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks Koot.. Just wondering about the “after life”

Sounds like a sucess for you Dean.. That was pretty rare back then.. You must have really been reluctant?

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Derek,

I have at least 2 patients that have had this surgery. End results are literally hundreds of pounds in weight loss for both patients. However, both have had tough times with the adjustments needed in lifestyle changes….more so than a person making positive lifestyle changes and losing the weight the hard way. I’m a big fan of the tv show ‘The Biggest Loser’ hard work and eating right paying huge dividends in the long run when it comes to feeling good and having lots of energy. Let alone the fact your body will adjust with your weight loss and decrease in size compared to lipo or bypass. The gastric bypass does not give you those same dividends other than end weight loss, but if you’re extremely overweight and exercise is too difficult (whether its deconditioning or joint pain) then the bypass may be the spark to get you started.

Was just on the phone with a patient last night stating that she would never recommend it to anyone. Too many complications….this despite a 150# weight loss. I would encourage you to keep asking around and wish you good luck.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks Tag, thats exactly what I was trying to do. Ive heard horror stories and celebrations. I’m interested in the new lip ring? that is reversable.. I fully understand the end result commitments.. I also hear alot depends on the surgeon. I’m starting to research now.. Does the Mayo have a good program?

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

I have two aunts that have had the procedure. They were around 300 lbs. In my opinion they are now much too thin (120-130lbs), but that is my opinion. i know that they are very grateful to have lost all of the weight. They did have some difficulty adjusting but are doing quite well now. Good luck

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Both of my patients went through U of Minn.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I know/knew 4 people that had it. One died from complications and she was only 34. The other three dropped tons of weight but are having a really tough time with the “after life.” All three are sick all the time, and it seems as though one of them has a case of “brittle bones” now. Don’t know if its related, but she has broken three bones since her surgery. The 4 of them had their surgeries done by 3 differents docs.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Reluctant? No, Scared as hell….Yes!This is something that requires more committment than just undergoing a medical procedure.As I mentioned,not for everyone.Feel free to call if you would like to visit about it.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I was going to say scared as hell but didnt want to insult you. I’ll give you a buzz.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

OK… Derek… now the one reply you haven’t received…

I had my gastric Bypass surgery a little over 2 years ago. Best thing I have ever done in my life. I was 350 lbs with a family history that would have me dead in a few years. From personal experience… go for it. If you are ok with it and your family supports you. I went through General Vascular which is now Minneapolis Baraitric. See Dr Micheal Swartz and Dr Drew (I went through Dr Drew). Give me a call if you have any questions about it… 612-715-3283. That is my cell number… I’d be happy to explain any part of it I can.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Derek – Tagger has some very good words of advice. The “Clinic” does perform these but it’s for a pretty exclusive set of conditions. Feel free to drop me a PM if you’d like me to put you in touch with someone from that area of expertise. Kurt

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

I know 2 folks who have had it, one a female who lost 125 lbs. and adjusted quite well, the other a deer hunting buddy who lost 140 lbs. and attempted suicide. he’s still alive but beaucoup messed up. Bypass should be a last resort.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I really appreciate all the info guys. It seems like you suffer one way or another. Either diet and workout, or get gutted, diet and workout. The after life is what is scaring me. I could afford to lose 100 pounds but I would look like I was 15. I dont think I want that..

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Derek!
    Sounds like you are making some major life changes as of late. I just want to wish you well. Very hard to change and it takes courage. The rewards can be great! Hang in there!

Joel

Bassn Dan

Derek,

While this is ultimately something for you and your doctor to decide, it may be best to wait for a year or so before you make a decision. If it’s possible to wait to do this, here are several factors that you may want to consider.

In a prior post you mentioned that you had just completed a chemical dependency program. In addition to the calories consumed with alcohol, studies have suggested that it also affects the metabolism and causes weight gain. Given time, the extra weight may subside on its own?

A neighbor and one of my cousins had this surgery. While both of them had significant weight loss, both of them had lengthy problems with post surgery diarrhea (dumping syndrome.) This is a common problem and could keep you out of fishing for a long time.

There is an alternative procedure being used in Europe that involves inserting a fluid filled balloon into the stomach. According to the article, this procedure was very effective, hadn’t caused any significant problems for the patients, and is also easily reversible. This procedure hasn’t received approval in the U.S. yet, but it sounded as though it is being studied. (Yahoo News.)

Good luck!!!

Dan

nick
    Lakeville, MN

DOOOOOO it

My mother had this done, at the U of M none the less, there is one (atleast there was ot the time) the did it Laparoscopically, instead of the filet you like a crappie method, (you’ve filet a crappie before haven’t you? ) That Laparoscopically they only need a couple holes to do the job. I’d guess there is a lot less pain overall, that way, I won’t kid you, either way is going to be a little tough at first. My mother lost lots an lots of weight on this, more energy and everything. I’d say she’s never second guessed the operation, and can still enjoy eating everything she once did, just much less. My aunt also had this done, and she has no regrets either, and she looks great.

Do it, yeah it’s a bit scary, but they are doing lots of them now, I’d trust the doctors will do a great job, I’ve hear some tough stories, but I haven’t heard on that was “recent” (in the past 10+ years).

I’ll find out thte name of my mother’s doctor.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

DD. Yes, change seems to happen all at once.

Dan, thanks for the reply. My main concern is with diabetes and glucose, tricyclerides and high blood pressure. All are high right now. My drinking was more of a binge problem. I drank once a week but was self destructive when I did. My addicitve personallity has always loved sugar and high fat foods and never seem to be full. I can wack down a Chiplote burrito and 4 of thier tacos like nothing and I know that would probably kill me if I tried that after surgery. Thats why I’m pondering the surgery. This by no means will be anytime soon, I’m not even considering until next winter. Ive tried the South Beach with sucess and that may be a better alternative. I by no means want any type of surgery to be a easy way out and it seems it all depends on the person on how the end results will be. Right now its about 50/50 to the folks I have talked with. I’m going to a seminar in March and will be meeting with a surgeon to get more info.

Rider, yes there is a new method that is also reversable. Send me a PM of that surgeon. My attitude is having surgery will help me eat less.

Thanks again for all the replies.

shaley
    Milford IA

My wife had this done and lost 140 pounds or so, She was in the no choice group. She has adjusted well but sugars she has to watch and she still feels bad not being able to finish a meal and having to get a doggie box. She will fish with me 18+ hours straight as long as she has snacks, her worst downfall after surgery is she cant tolerate the cold verry well. Cool spring and fall fishing just require the ice house heater in the boat so she dont miss out on a good bite. If you have any questions I’m sure she will be happy to answer any. Best of luck in your decision

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Have you investigated lap banding as a second choice to the invasive gastric bypass? The lap band is adjustable over time and is a far safer alternative. Keep an open mind and do your homework before you decide. Good luck!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Carp, that’s the one I was trying to think of. Its relatively new I believe and reversible?. I’m going to get more info about that procedure at the seminar.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Its been around for a while, far less expensive, side effects and dangers are much less and its gradual so you dont have major problems to start with. Its adjusted by saline and is completely reversable, no stomache leakage from invasive surgery.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’ve seen too many failures and too many negative results including severe depression and other future health related problems to suggest it to anyone except in the most extreme circumstances. It’s great for the people who it worked well for but for those who ended up worse off, it’s very sad. Please be careful Derek.

cet
    Western Wisconsin

My wife is a nutrionist/dietician .this is a major surgery w/risks and she thinks that this is one of the last resorts ..if the benefits of the surgery outway the risks is about the only reason someone should do it. It is only for those that are in extremely overwt conditions and as a last resort ..wish you all the best..wtail

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.