Mercury Optimax?? or Yamaha 4 Stroke??

• TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

You may want to check the Yamaha website for the explanation of the things you asked about. FYI..Yamaha has not always had 4 cylinders, they used 2 and 3 cylinders in most of their 2 strokes up to the Pro Series (75hp) and then went to 6 cylinders in the larger motors. My reference was to the 4 cylinder F150 that attains that hp rating with a varible camshaft timing, inbank exhaust, inline 4 cylinder engine, which no other maker does. THat F150 came out in 2004, I would guess that is “since 2000”. It is true that Mercury has a supercharged 4 stroke in the Verado, and that is new in production motors, yet not new in the marine engine industry. OMC dabbled in that prior to the FICHT debockle, maybe they wished they had gone there instead of the FICHT. Yet, the FICHT technology still exists in the Evinrude HO series. Let us remember OMC thought they had the “greatest technology” with the first FICHT engines, and also let us remember what that cost them.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

For the record, the Ficht technology was/is sound. It was the direction of the “Spray” of fuel in the early Evy motors that was their downfall. When they came out with the “Deflector” fix, all was well. The re-design in 2000 fixed it, but it was too late. To this date, the 2000 and up Fichts are awesome motors.

ted-merdan

dwightanders –

If you would like to sit down and discuss YAMAHA’s V6 four strokes, I feel qualified to have that discussion.

If you want to talk 3 cylinder mid-range (40-90) or the 4 Cyl 150 or the T8 I am also willing to discuss.

Understand that I bring facts, user experience and knowledge to the discussion, not hearsay, marketing kool-aid or a friend of a friend said…

From some of your comments, you are not up to speed on the constant changes and features that YAMAHA adds each model year.

ted merdan

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

I work for DHY Corp in Lakeville, MN. During the summer of 2000, we took over manufacturing fuel rails for Syernject Corporation who supplies fuel fail assemblies to Mercury Marine for the entire Optimax series of engines. During the summer of 2000 we supplied 7,500 starboard fuel rails to Synerject in replacement for rails made a manufacture in Michigan. The manufacturing defects in these rails were one of the causes of engines burning down on many Optimax engines built prior to 2001 model year. To my knowledge the problem with the manufacturing led to one or two cylinders either not getting gas or not getting the correct mixture of air/fuel, resulting in engine failures.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.