Kicker and Main Motor Working Together

• TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Is it possible for someone who has a kicker to have in trimmed into the water and working at full throttle at the same time as the main motor??? Will it work. So if someone has a 90HP and a 8HP kicker, when both are working, they have 98HP pushing together. Does it work that way??

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

No.
    You are kidding, right?

danno34

Tell me you dont own a Boat

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Just in case HE is not kidding,
    the answer is still,
    NO, but then there’s still, well; Just NO

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not that I’m an expert on this…’cause I can bearly run one motor…but

to run two motors they must be the same hp and I believe one has to run the opposite direction of the other.(not to be confused with reverse!)

The only thing running an 8 with a 90 will do…is slow you down…and wastes gas.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Thanks. Just a thought. Cos I know like Brian says…some boats have dual same HP motors. I just thought if there is any particular reason why dual different HP motors cannot run together…..
    Just a wild thought…

But a second question is…if you are underway with the main motor, must the kicker be tilted out of the water or can it be left in the water??

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Vincent, it can be left in the water…but I wouldn’t for these reasons…and there maybe more…

1) it’s going to slow you down
    2) it’s going to spray water all over and likely back into the boat
    3) I’m guessing it’s not going to be good for the bearings on around the prop area to spin in nutural…kind like the rule about leaving your motor in gear while trailoring it..so the prop doesn’t spin.

If you going to be moving a short distance and fairly slowly, I wouldn’t think it’s going to bother anything.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Are you planning on buying a kicker? What kind of boat/motor are you running now?

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Have a Mr Pike 16 and 90HP Yammy.

Am in the market for a top and a kicker. Have been thinking about them for some time now but costs have kept me away.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hear ya on the costs. Did they have a price listed for that cove you were looking at? I’m guessing…$800.??

LaCannes out of Fairbult has taken care of many IDA folks for kickers. Ask for Ken and make sure you tell him your from IDA! They’ll get you set up right the first time!

I know when I was down there last summer they had some used equipment. Might help you out of price a bit.

Good luck!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Your kicker does not run near the RPM of your main motor. Therefore, it would not work, and as Brian stated, it would actually slow you down. Not to mention the stress it would place on your transom. There are some motors that come with power tilt like the Yamaha T-8 and Mercury Pro Kicker. Johnson’s and Suzuki need a Panther typ lift, or can be operated manually. Straps are a good idea if you do not have electric lifts, it keeps the motor from accidentally dropping…
    I hope that helps.
    Tuck

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Not that I’m an expert on this…’cause I can bearly run one motor…but

to run two motors they must be the same hp and I believe one has to run the opposite direction of the other.(not to be confused with reverse!)

The only thing running an 8 with a 90 will do…is slow you down…and wastes gas.

What Briank said above is correct. It will not work. Chris’s mention of straps is a very good idea.

Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Bill,

You silly guy!

Bring along an extra heeter for me on Sunday….along with some of those secret zumbro lure…and I’ll show you how to put some panfish in the pan!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Not that I’m an expert on this…

That says a mouthful right there

saddletramp

actually, I think the kicker would blow, as the water speed is greater than what the kicker would push, so there is no load on the kicker, and nothing to stop it from hi-reving, and grenading.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The key factor with twin engines on the back is not so much having equal horsepower, as much as equal RPMs and same props.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well it only took me a day to figure out that it’s twin engine airplanes that have engine running opposite each other… I have no clue about out boards…

Thanks for helping out here guys!

SURE2STRIKE
    Albert Lea, MN

Not to be to technical, but generally only some of the smaller twin engine airplanes more commonly used for training have the counter-rotating propellers. With this set up, “P” factor then doesn’t become an issue.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.