New boat purchase.185 TourneyPro vs. Lund ProV1800

• shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

I’m looking to upgrade my boat . I have owned Lund’s in the past but have talked to multiple people regarding the Alumacrafts. I’m looking at the Lund ProV 1800 Tiller compared to the Alumacraft TourneyPro 185 Tiller. Looking to have the 90hp Yamaha 4stroke. Any insight from fellow IDA members would be helpful . Kind of like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge issue but I can’t seem to make up my mind.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

You are right about the chevy/ford/dodge debate, its the same thing. I will say I bought a new Crestliner Fishhawk three years ago and I couldnt be happier with it. I wish I had a bigger motor, but thats my own fault. I am sure there are plenty of guys who will only buy a Lund, but I think I am just as happy with my Fishhawk as I would be with a Lund. Point is, dont get caught up in brand names, try them both and pick which one you like best,

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

All great boats,what it might come down to is price.Best boat at the best price.
    Ryan Hale

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I have been running Alumacraft for the past 15 years! I am currrently running a 175 T/Pro CS with a 140 johnson. One point I would like to make this point that the Alumacrafts have carpeted gunnels! where as the Lund is alumanium. Won’t slip when you step and cooler to the touch!

ARCH
    southern minnesota

I am not gonna run any particular boat down, but I think that you get a lot more boat for the money with Alumacraft. I have a Magnum 175 with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke and love this boat.

jwhite58502

I am in the same boat so to speak, however have been finding in addition to having to pay a little more for the lund when i ask for it with the yamaha (my powerplant choice as well) that adds even more to their cost so between that the longer lenght and width on the alumacraft is making my choice get easier everyday, still kinda torn about resale value but am thinking gonna keep this one longer (ya sure)

good luck

walzer
    Afton, MN

That’s a tough decision. I think you’ll be happy either way. I was looking at both Lunds and Alumacrafts last spring and went with the Alumacraft Tourney Sport 175. Alumacrafts have a 96″ beam compared to a 93″ with Lunds. It doesn’t sound like much, but when you’re in the boat it’s a big difference. The other great feature that sold me on the Alumacraft is the addition of a top loading rod locker in the gunnel, with top loading storage in the other gunnel. Either way, you can’t go wrong, but I believe you get a lot more boat for less money.

2Fishy4U

If it is strictly Alumicraft versus Lund. I prefer Lund because a few years ago I went out with a guide who had a leaky Alumicraft. I know Alumicraft has made several nice changes as metioned in these posts, nonetheless I feel the overall quality of Lund is better.

With that said I am about to order a new Crestliner with a 90HP E-Tec. The Crestliner’s don’t come equipped with E-Tec’s but my dealer is willing to install whatever is necessary.

Good luck with your new rig.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

They are both nice boats but I think the Lund will have better resale value.

evileye
    Milan Il

My wife say’s my hobby is buying boats …not fishing
    I have had them both and both have been great boats, but I do like the top loading rod box (now if they would put a 7′ lid on it instead of a 7′ box with a three foot lid) I have a pro v now but in this area it is very hard to get a lund with a Yamaha, so for my next boat I will go up north and buy it from one of IDA’s sponsers.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I’d crawl around in both and compare the two.

Alumacraft has more standard features.

You get your choice of motors on Alumacrafts.

People say resale is better on Lunds. This may be true, but you pay more up front for them so do you save anything?

Both are great boats. You can’t go wrong either way.

HenryPF

I didn’t crawl around in a lund as I didn’t see why they were 3k more than the alumacraft.

One thing I did find out though – on the boat I have, (04 alumacraft magnum 165CS) the front casting deck base seat plate seems way too close to the front on the deck.

It was impossible for me to use a minn kota maxxum cable steer foot control trolling motor with the seat in as the foot control was actually underneath the seat as the pedal wouldn’t fit any futher up front.

Standing up with a leaning post was not a problem but sitting, well, just couldnt be done. I am 5’11” for reference.

I had to get a new base plate, post adapter, post, and seat mount to offset the difference. Base plate and post adapter worked in conjuction as they do not make a 9′ round kingpin style base plate so you didn’t have to drill new holes and cover up old ones. Post shown below.

This isn’t an issue if you use a powerdrive but just a heads up for something to look into.

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

Hey Guys! Thanks for all of your input. Very helpful with this important issue. My wife says I spend way too much time on this topic. She just doesn’t understand. I think the Alumacraft will be the choice. Is there a recommended IDA sponsor to shop? The last Lund I bought, I think the dealer bent me over I’ve been to Cabela’s and they seem to have a solid price, but I’m only in the early stages of shopping.

Thank for all of the help

ARCH
    southern minnesota

I bought my boat from LaCannes marine in faribault, they treated me awesome. I think that they are awefully competetive with just about anywhere else that you are gonna find. They also are a Merc., Johnson, and Yamaha dealer so you get a good choice.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I bought my new boat last July at LaCannes also!! Best deal I could find and I drove done from Mille Lacs Lake to make the purchase!!!!!!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I have fished out of the 185 Alumacraft with the 90 yamaha.
    it is a very roomy rig and comfortable ride.
    She runs about 38 mph fully loaded.
    Here is a photo..My buddy Brad Laabs.
    I own a Lund but I do like this rig.
    Good luck on your purchase

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

I can’t speak from experience on the Lunds. I’m sure they are great. BUT,….. I’ve had 2 Alumacrafts. One new 1989 Classic Delux and then in 1995 a new Competitor 170CS. I liked them both. I outgrew the first one quick. The next worked absolutley fine until two weeks ago when I sold her off to buy a new 2006 WX1880 Skeeter. I would recommend Alumacraft to anyone who wants a great aluminum boat with almost all the right stuff in the right places – and for a a fair price when compared to the Lund. I never had one problem with either Alumacraft boat and both had “ton’s” of hours on the water. I just happened to opt for the glass boat this time out. Like the above replies state: Lacannes is a good place to shop,…. good deals and nice people too (I’ve dealt with them before). However, I bought both of mine from Halberg Marine. I never had a problem with Halberg and I got both boats for a great price. Of course,… I never needed service either, so I can’t speak for them on that one. I even bought the new Skeeter from them too.
    ONLY PROBLEM: Now I have to wait until mid-March to get the boat and get on the water – and then there is the s-l-o-w motor break-in period…… How sweet it will be!!!!
    Splitshot

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I just puchased Alumacraft 175 TP tiller from LaCannes with a 90 Yamaha 4-stroke and T8. I looked at both boats but choose Alumacraft because of rod storage for 8 rods over 7.5 feet and 25″ transom. Both are great boats I just think the Alumacraft fit my type of fishing I like to do better.Talk to Nick at LaCannes they have great sales and service.

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks Guys for all of your feedback. Went to LaCanne’s and ordered the boat. Best price and great service.

I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great boat buying experience!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.