Alumacraft Navigator 175CS w/ Yamaha 115 4 stroke

• MadTownMatt

I am looking for a versitile boat that I can use primarily for walleye fishing the Madison Chain but also to keep the wife happy tubing and skiing. I am inches away from buying a 2005 Alumacraft 175CS (Single Console) with a 115 HP Yamaha 4 stroke but am afraid the boat will be a dog since it’s rated for a 140. I moved up here from Indiana abut two years ago and grew up fishing bass boats. I know I’m not going to get bass boat performance from this boat but what are your feelings on this boat / motor combination. Note: the 2005 Navigator has a 20″ Transom and the 2006 has a 25″ transom? Any feelings or opinions on this?

Thanks for your honest responses good or bad.

gat
    Glopaint,Capital Northwest Wisc.

Welcome to IDA Matt. Glad to see new names daily, Great site to be a part of

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Welcome to IDA
    While I can’t help you with your question, there are quite a few guys on here who can. Weekends can get pretty slow here, but keep checking back. I can guarantee someone will give you their opinion on that setup

assman1
    S E Wi.

I’m not exactly sure about the comparison, but I have a 175 Mag with a 90 hp 2 stroke merc. on it. top speed alone I’m going 40-45 mph which is fast enough for me. When I had my boat winterized this fall I talked to the dealer about maybe moving up in hp and possible to a 4 stroke, but he told me the 90 was very good fit for that size boat and should be well balanced. anything bigger would be too heavy in the rear.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to IDA Matt!!!
    The best piece of advice I can give you is when it comes to deciding on motor size for your boat is to always max out the motor to what the boat is rated for. I do not have any experience with the Alumacraft Navigator 175CS but I am willing to bet that you would be disappointed with the performance from the 115 vs the 140.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Go to Walmart! There is a boating magazine on sale there that has an article on the Navigator with a 90HP 4 stroke Yamaha. I just saw it tonight while at walmart. I did not read it in detail as I am a Lund person. But I think all the performance information that you need would be detailed there. I am so sorry I do not remember the exact name of the magazine. But it is not wrapped and you could read it at the shelf.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

February edition on Bass&Walleye magazine has a very good article about the 175 Navigator with a 90 Yamaha 4-stroke.
    I’ve got a similar boat with a 115 Yamaha and get GPS speeds in the low 40’s and have know problem pulling the kids skiing or tubing.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I bought a new Lund Mr Pike 17 also rated for 140 HP. I put the 115 Yamaha, 4 stroke on it. It performes superbly, giving me, depending on the load, up to 44mph at FOT!. I believe the boat your thinking about is of comparable weight. I also have a friend with a new 17 Alumacraft powered by the 115 Yamaha and is quite happy with the package. I do not think you will be disappointed with that Boat/Motor combo IMO.

veamer
    Kekoskee, WI

I puchased an Alumacraft Trophy 175 last year, rated for 150 horse. I put a Merc 115 4 stroke which is really a Yamaha powerhead with a Merc Lower Unit on it and painted in Merc colors. I did this because of the weight of 4 strokes and the 115hp is a 4 cylinder. If I went bigger HP it meant going to a six cylinder. A 2 stroke six cylinder engine still weighed more than the 4 cylinder 4 stroke. I wanted a 4 stroke and thought if I ever wanted to add a kicker weight may play an issue.??? I haven’t pulled a ski’er yet but it seems to perfom well for me. I get 38-42 mph in the right conditions with 1 other person in the boat.I’m happy with that. I didn’t get to compare how a Merc Optimax or Etec would perform as far as hole shot compared to my 4 stroke and I can’t say I have ever been in a boat with those motors on but I believe you would have better hole shot for pulling a ski’er out of the water. If you plan on doing some pleasure boating you may want to consider a full windsheild. I know it takes up room but is sure nice, especially on those 50 degree damp/dewy mornings. I know your buying the boat for yourself but take a minute and sit in one on the passenger side and imagine how much fun it be on a cool morning or rough water day with spray???just my 2 cents as I started out same as you and almost bought a single console…then again whats right for may not be right for you…good luck

Steelers

Welcome to IDA Matt. My two cents are the Yamaha 115 is a great motor. I have one on my 1850 Crestliner fishhawk and have never had any problems, although its a little under powered. It come’s out of the hole great but top speed is only 40mph, that the gps reading. If I had to do it all over I would max it out. You may also want to look at IDA’s classifieds. Lots of great deals in there right now.

MadTownMatt

Thanks for all the valuable information. I am comfortable with 40 MPH but I’m afraid that with 3 or 4 people and 35 gallons of gas this may turn into a 30 MPH boat. I’ll let you guys kow what I decide.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I have to echo what Satch said about the Trophy and the full windshield. He and I have the same boat & motor and have traded a few emails on how to rig it. I have taken several people out fishing and several have said their next boat will have a full windshield. I can’t say it any better than that. If boating with the family is on the agenda, as it is for me, the Trophy is a great boat. We also have the top cover that I thought I’d use more for rain protection. Turns out, its a great way to get some shade on hot July-August days.

I also get 38-40 mph with the 115 4 stroke Merc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.