What is the Story Behind your Name?

• scottsteil
    Central MN

It has been awhile since we did this and we have a ton of new people registered over the winter, so lets hear it. What is the reason you picked your IDA handle? I will go first, Scott Steil is my name and BrianK was already taken

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Got on the board, needed to register and make up a name, and since my last name as spelled is unpronouncable to any that don’t speak Polish, decided to go the alias.

Was slop fishing the day before, and MossBoss was the first thing that pooped into my mind.

danwi
    westby wi

DanWi= Dan Wight

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’m in the same boat as Moss. I was out fishing the day before I registered and when I logged on the fishtheriver.com(way back when) I chose the bait that got me the most fish.

A Blue Fleck 7″ Power Worm.

smallmouthbass
    Annandale, MN

My fish of choice and has been since I was a kid walking the Zumbro river.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

The two starting goalies when I was in High School were named Kedrowski and Mikotowski. I was the 9th string goalie if enough guys were out sick. The “ski” just ended up tagged on the end of my name and stuck since then. Jeez, 30+ years with the same nickname???

Hey it was fun meeting you last weekend Scott. Have you ever noticed that your avatar makes you look 45 but in person you look like you’re 19? How does that work?

Steve Root a.k.a. Rootski since 1973

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

Why end your name in ski? Because you cant spell toboggan. Fish Hammer- because seelhammer is a dumb last name.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Current name is self explaining…..

Old name is Ranger29 which equals boat I currently own and current age!!!

Plus Lip Ripper2 sounded funny…I have always looked up to you

marendt
    Lake City, MN

marendt= Mike Arendt of Rochester, MN. Drive a white Lund Fisherman with a yammi pushing it. See you all on Pool 4 this summer!

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

What my oldest daughter (now 28) started calling me almost as soon as she was able to talk. Subsequently picked up by all five kids.
    Could be worse I guess!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Cal;

How the heck do you pronounce your last name again?

Shiv…..
    Schiv……
    s-Vih……..
    Sihv…….

Oh heck, I’m going to stick with Ranger 29!!!!!!!

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

last name is pflugshaupt, gone by pfluggy from then on,well from about 6 grade any ways

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

last name is pflugshaupt, gone by pfluggy from then on,well from about 6 grade any ways

Wow, that’s almost as bad as Krzoska.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Does mine really need explaining. I guess now though, I am only a Wanna be

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I guess mine is probably pretty easy to guess, lol. Back when I was in tech school in Winona I fished the back waters all the time. After seeing the same old timer on the water 3-4 times in a week he said to me “your a regular old river rat aren’t you?”. At the time I thought it sounded funny-but it stuck!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Hey Cal;

How the heck do you pronounce your last name again?

Shiv…..
    Schiv……
    s-Vih……..
    Sihv…….

Oh heck, I’m going to stick with Ranger 29!!!!!!!

schwheel is the best way to spell it and pronounce it!!!!

My childhood was a disaster with that last name…but I am very proud to have it..

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Did 5-10, hard time, on a trumped up charge of hijacking. Just kidding, my nick name (given me by my old biker buddies) is Jack and in that nowadays I fish mostly for Eyes, it seemed like a natural morph (i.e. EyeJacker sounds sometwhat like Hijacker). My real name is not Geronimo, now my friends call me Speedo, but my real name is Mr. Earl!

Scott, good post to achieve my chiliad (1000th) post!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks Cal………For the last 3 to 4 years I’ve been struggling with that!!!!!!!

Just kidding!!!!!!!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

I spend July thru October running bear with hounds every day I can. The type of hound I use is a plott. Therefore bearplotts.

tiger81
    MN.

MY NICKNAME THE TIGER CAME FROM MY BUDDIES ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO FOR REASONS I WON’T SHARE RIGHT NOW, AND IT HAS STUCK WITH ME. AND MY BIRTHDAY IS SEPT. OF 1981. YOU GET TIGER81!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I ended up with BrianK, but only after Turk tarnished my first handle of Beach Brian…

Turk, I wasn’t the guy that kicked sand in your face on St Croix Beach in the 70’s.

The names that I was considering were:

Lutifisk Hater
    Golfing Maniac
    Bass Pro
    and….

My wife’s nick name for me….

STUD

But none seemed fitting for a family friendly fishing site.

EyeJacker…can you explain your handle again…this time a little slower?

Congrats on post 1000! May your next 7000 be as melodious as the first!

birddog
    Mn.

I’ve raised/trained bird dogs since I was a kid. And, it sounded cool. I could have gone with a given nickname but Pampers and Horsecaulk are better left forgotten.

BIRDDOG

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I needed a handle and am a big John Cougar Mellankamp fan. Since he decided to drop Cougar, I picked it up! Besides, Mellankampeye doesn’t work.

Eric

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

“Good night MaryEllen,”….”Goodnight JimBob,”…
    “Goodnight Jonboy”
    Actually, I live for the times I spend with my own 2 boys, camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, in Scouts…

Jonboy

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I started out as fish hacker… mainly because I had questions that i needed answers to right away and needed to register to ask them. Now that I have taken to this place and decided to stick around… I changed my handle to my old nickname. Cletus. Back 8-10 years ago I used to frequent the country bar establishments. I have a shaved head and was kind of a big guy… all my freinds thought I looked like Cletus T Judd (if you don’t know who he is.. he is kind of the weird Al Yankovich of country)… the night I got that, we ended up at perkins trying to sober up and convinced a few patrons of the perkins that I was, in fact, THE Celtus T Judd. Seems to have stuck ever since.

nkrista88
    MN

N is for my first name (Nicole) and Krista is my middle name. 8 is my fav number…but somewhere along the way another 8 was added.

i_da_woman
    Wisconsin

A confession is in order, I can not take credit for my IDA name. It was coined by my husband, Speedo, ah…er, Mr. Earl that is! Around home he refers to me as “You Da’ Woman”. I suspect he modified that so I would not sound like Saddam Hussein son’s girlfriend when registering. The man is truly insane!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Don’t tell anyone it is my secret Big fish bait….
    Heck they don’t even sponsor me…

CPRDave
    Lakeville, MN

Mine is fairly easy:
    CPR = Catch Photo Release
    Dave = my first name

kizew
    Dallas, WI

kizew = the non-Pollock version of Kizewski my last name – in high school the only name everyone called me that didnt end in hole or contain four letters was kizew.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.