Attention Wheel House Owner’s

• jldii

There is a lot more to the issue than just the cost of driving your truck on the roads. If all you want is to drive on and off the lake thru the resort, then I think $10/day is fair enough. But…..normally thats not where it ends. People take their wheelhouses up there and spend several days, and during those days, they will use the shower buildings, throw their trash into the dumpsters on shore, dump their porta-pottys in the septic tank, etc.. The $10/day fee doesn’t cover the expenses the resort owner has for maintaining all those ammenities for the owners of the wheelhouses to use.

IMHO, $10/day for access is fair, but an additional $5-10/day for the “extras” for overnighting isn’t unreasonable to ask for either. Of course, some resorts could tailor those “extras” into a selling point to bring more wheelhouses into their resort and increase their business!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

These are all good ideas! But Yes, George is looking for cost’s as for per day,weekend, all week. The posts are all good! I do plan to print out this and give to George at some point soon. I know George’s daughter Cassie visit’s IDA and other sites but George don’t get on line.

Keep the ideas coming………and as for the snow? Well Tom is making a very good point! Once the snow piles up along the lake roads…….it’s tough to get over them on a snowmoblie.

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

This is one of the reasons I drive the extra miles to Red and LOTW. I would like to be closer but since I moved to the area 8 years ago this is all I hear.

On any given weekend you have 5-8 resorts on Red and LOTW with maybe a 1000 wheelhouses on each lake. They all just charge a daily fee and hit you with the same fee if you have a wheelhouse or not. Plowing is always extra if your dumb enough to go cross country in the deep snow or leave your house too far from the main road when you go home on for the week. Showers are extra if you need to take one. We never do!

To the point $10.00 per day, plowing extra, showers extra. I use a resort just to feel secure knowing if I need the services they are there.

Vickie
    MN

I’m with you bobberal – a standard daily fee (around $10) regardless of whether you have a wheel house or not, is reasonable. Wheel houses are here to stay and are definately becoming more and more popular. I also agree that charging for “extras” such as shower use and requested plowing (either to get to somewhere off the road or to get out of somewhere if they are stuck/stranded) is reasonable. Someone with truck/car and a canvas portable could also get “stuck” and need to be plowed out. Prices should be posted. Charging a weekly fee is ridiculous, if the house is not being used and is just sitting on the lake.

We have a wheel house, as you can probably tell from my input on this issue. We pull the house on to the lake each Friday and pull it off on Sunday. Have thought about leaving it out on the lake but we don’t want to have to worry about it all week. We have bought a seasonal pass for $125, good for two vehicles, for the entire ice fishing season. That is reasonable. $50 for a weekend IS NOT reasonable.

One last thing – Is Mille Lacs the only place that charges you for the day you leave, if it’s not the same day you went on? Last time I was on Red Lake or Winnie – I’m pretty sure that we paid only when we went ON the lake.

That’s my feelings on the subject.

Vickie

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.