Lund Explorer 1700

• ERB
    Bemidji

I am thinking about upgrading from my 1998 lund angler 1650 with a 50 merc 4 stroke tiller to a 1700 explorer with a 75 merc or yamaha. Any thoughts? Seat arrangement in my angler has 3 seats right down the middle. This is a little tight quarters when I have my two kids in the boat (ages 7 and 5). I see the explorers are a little wider and the seats can be moved to the side. I love my angler but would like the little extra room. I also want to stay with this style of boat (tiller) and not go to a much heavier boat like the pro V. Do any of you have experience in the 2005/06 explorers with a 75 h.p. motor.

PoppaWolf1
    River Falls, WI

I don’t own one yet, but if you want good price try Smitty’s in Lake City. Priced an 1800 Explorer there based on a recommendation from this board. He is getting my business next month when I order it.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

I have a 2004, Explorer 1600 SS and love it. I have a 75 Evinrude E-Tec on it, and it runs great. It is my first boat with a steering wheel and never thought i would like it but don`t know it i would ever go back to a tiller. Seat placement is good.Plenty of storage.

Ironhead

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

ERB,
    Last July I picked up a new Explorer 1700 package. It is the single side console model. I have a Yam F-115. Very stable boat, and I like it more than I thought would. I would think the console model would be a better fit for a family with kids, and I think safer. and depending on their age, they will want to drive it soon, tillers for young people learning to drive a boat= forget it. a steering wheel, much easier to learn, and you can hold onto the kill switch lanyard.
    Jack..

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I have a 2004 1700 Explorer tiller and love it. Fishes 3 large adults very easily. Very wide boat, hardly notice when someone moves around. Dry and comfy ride. Get the air ride seats. I have a 75hp Ficht and it pushes it along very nice fully loaded. I too bought mine from Smitty’s Marine in Lake City, MN. Ken is the man to talk to.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

You owe it to yourself to at least look at the Lund “MR Pike 17” before you set sail! If you try it, you will like it, no love it!

ERB
    Bemidji

I would really like to stick with a tiller boat. Does the Mr. Pike come in a tiller model?

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Not sure if it would be in a included in a “package” purchase, however, I just gotta’ believe you could tailor your order and select a tiller, if that your desire.

Upon further thought, I do not believe the Pike 17 design would accomodate a tiller motor!

pyake

The “Pro Angler” line is a tiller model “Mr Pike”. Nice looking boats. There is a pretty big difference in the price tag between a “Pro Angler” and a tiller model “Explorer”. The layout is slightly different and there is also a difference in construction (thickness of aluminum plates).

ERB
    Bemidji

You are correct in the $ differnce. Both are nice boats and set ups. Thanks for all the info.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.