Lund Question

• PoppaWolf1
    River Falls, WI

I’m new to this forum. Looking to buy a new boat. Narrowed it down to a Lund Explorer SS 1700 or 1800. Any comments on ride, dryness, fishability, or speed. Primarily going to fish the St Croix and Lake Pepin. I appreciate any input to which one would work best. Hoping to find a deal at the boats shows. Thanks

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi P. Wolf,

First of all, welcome to IDA. A lot of great folks here, and lots of great fishing info.

This last summer I bought a new Explorer 1700 single console, with an F-115 Yam 4 st. It has worked wonderfully for me the last 6 months. No probs at all. the 2005 1700 was the first year that a second console is available to add at purchase or later if you want to. The only thing I wished it had was wires running to the bow where I can hook up a front depth finder. I will have to run the wires myself. Very dry ride, and 40 mph with the F115. trolls down very nice also. I got it from Levi at Erickson’s in Hastings. They had the model I wanted and color, and they were also the best price around the mpls metro area. Tell him I talked to you.

write me back a PM with any questions or send me your phone no.

GOOD LUCK. Let us know what you decide.

Jack…

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Welcome to the site! We have a 2000 Lund Explorer 1675 which is only about 2 inches shorter than the 1700. If you are only going to fish with a light(under 15mph) wind on pepin the 1700 is fine but anything other than that I would go with the 1800. I do a lot of looking at the specs of the new Lunds and they have made some good changes to the boat to help fishability and speed. Our boat has a merc 90hp 2-stroke and fully loaded with me and my dad it will do about 40mph. With waves this boat can get a little bumpy because it is so light for its size. The ribs on the sides will deflect water away from the boat so you will stay very dry unless the waves are huge rollers.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Can only comment on the 2004 1700 Tiller, but the ride is nice and dry. Will handle the river and Lake Pepin nice. I don’t spend a lot of time on Lake Pepin, but if I did I would probably get the 1800. When it’s rough it’s rough with anything though I guess. My uncle bought the 1700 with a dual counsel and loves it. If you are bringing significant others then the dual counsel will keep her/him on the water longer. Get the air ride seats, they are also nice.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome. Great to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want. I know a couple guys who have the 1700 Explorer and a couple guys who have the 1800 Explorer and all really like their boats. Give Ken or Ron a call at Smittys Marine in Lake City 651-345-3990 for a great price. They have people buying their boats from them from several different states because of their great prices.
    Thanks, Bill

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Hi, I have a 2005 Lund Explorer 18 footer with a 140DF Suzuki for stroke. I absolutely love this boat, I fish mainly Mille Lacs and been out in some bad stuff, the boat handles awesome. It’s big and roomy and very quick with the Suzuki 140. I had a Pro-v before this boat, and to be honest I couldn’t see spending that much money for a few bells and whistles….I looked at the 18ft pro-v and the Mr. Pike, both would have been well over 30 grand for the way I wanted it rigged. Just to give you an idea on price here is what I had the boat rigged with and the price. 2005 18ft Explorer ss with Suzuki DF140, 70lb minnkota with auto pilot and remote with built in transducer, 2 Humminbird Matrix 27’s one up front one on the dash, Uniden ship to shore vhf radio, I upgraded the trailer to a black Shorelander to match the boat. You could save a little with cheaper trailer that they’re trying to package with, won’t mention the name of that ugly galvanized thing, but everybody knows. Out the door around 23 grand for a nice rig. Hope this helps, can’t go wrong with the Explorer models. Brian Peterson

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Welcome Pappa Wolf! I purchased a new Lund Mr Pike 17 powered by a Yamaha 115 4 stroke last year and I am elated with it! It is a great boat with many sweet features. I would recommend you look at one before you make up your mind.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

dittos on the Mr. Pike.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

The 1700 will be perfect for the ‘Croix. I have a 1750 Fishawk and fished Pepin a couple of times when there was some wind. I wished I had a bigger boat when the wind was up over 20mph.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to IDA Poppa Wolf!!!

fishinfreak had a good suggestion to upgrade trailers but I would not rule out a galvanized trailer, yes the painted ones that match your boat look sharp when they are new but after a few short years they will start to rust with a galvanized trailer you will not have worry about it rusting. You can still upgrade to a better and heavier trailer with a galvanized one.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

I agree with Steve, galvanized trailers are the way to go. After three summers, mine still looks great, no paint chips or rust. IMHO, I would buy galvanized again. Good luck with your new boat purchase.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I have a 1675 Lund Explorer and I just love it for fishing. It is 90” wide and lightweight but does not do well in larger waves. So if you like high speed on big water then the 1700 may not be the boat for you. I guess it depends on how much pounding your body can take. I suspect the 1800 Explorer also has a rough ride as it has a wider 96” beam to slap the water. Although being wide is very nice for fishing and stability — that is why I got it.

My body is getting a bit worn out so rough water and high speed in any boat is out of the question for me — I just slow down. My only regret is that I do wish I had a galvanized trailer as I fish pool 4 all year and the salty roads do rust the trailer.

Dave Gulczinski

PoppaWolf1
    River Falls, WI

You guys are great. I’ve looked at a bunch of boats and like this one. Looks like the 1800 is what I’ll be trying for. I will add the galvanized trailer to the list. Thanks

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Hey guys, I wasn’t trying to start a bash on galvanized trailers, it’s just personal preference. Good luck with your new rig you’ll love it!!!!!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Poppa Wolf, feel free to pm if you have any questions about the 18ft Explorer!!! or call 651-331-9187 Don’t forget to check out the boat show, they had some good deals, and also, I just got back from Crtystal Pierz in Shakoppee and they had a couple 2005 18footers still rigged with 115 optis,sweet deals.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I ran a 1800 with a 150. A 115 is too small for that boat IMO..

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I wish I would have maxed out my horsepower to a 115. For a 18 ft’er I would go to 135 or 150.
    If’n I had a nice 115 4 stroke I’d have a sweet trolling machine like Mr EyeJacker.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I have a 182 Tournament Series Crestliner (18 foot 2 “)with a 135 Optimax on the back and I’m impressed with the performance of that motor on the back. I get high 40’s (46-49) for MPH. I know this is a Lund question, but I’m sure they are somewhat comparable. Just to give you another idea

krisko
    Durand, WI

I was in the, pardon the pun, “same boat as you” not too long ago. I ended up buying an Explorer 1600 with a Yamaha F75 on it. What an awesome machine. We get 44 mph out of it with it fully loaded and two people. It does pretty good on rough water and you get an unbelievable dry ride. I would say the 1700 would be fine for you if those are the waters you are going to be fishing. Good luck and take these guys advice they know what they are talking about. In case you are looking at boat shows, In Eau Claire, WI this weekend from Jan 12-22 Zacho Sports has their line up of Lunds there. Powered by Yamaha and Mercury.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.