Pickled northern recipe wanted

• Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Chris
    Brine can mean a salt brine, salt and vinegar, also there are sweet brines.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I always use the white vinegar. I don’t think it would have the great flavor to it if you use the cidar vinegar.

Good luck with the pickling everyone

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Ted after the 1st 7 days you drain and throw that brine away and rinse your fish well.

I will give a quarter to watch someone drink the wine after it’s been pickling fish for 7 days…’ell fifty cents!!

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

Quote:

Ted after the 1st 7 days you drain and throw that brine away and rinse your fish well.

I will give a quarter to watch someone drink the wine after it’s been pickling fish for 7 days…’ell fifty cents!!

No thanks…lol

Let me put it a different way. I opened the Chateau yesterday. The guy at the liquor store said that the wine would go bad by day 7 and I would need to open a different bottle of wine for the second round of pickling. Do you use 2 bottles of wine per pickling cycle?

Ted

hib
    Waterloo, IA

Here is a recipe I’ve used for years that a long gone river rat gave me. Everyone who has sampled it has asked for more. I have used fishing machine’s recipe and think it’s great, but variety is the spice of life hey!

Pickled Fish
    Northern or Crappie are best. Must be kept refrigerated.
    Use 1 gallon glass jar.

Ingredients: non-iodized salt, white vinegar, sugar, whole all spice, whole cloves, whole mustard seed, sweet white onions.

Fillet and cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
    Soak 48 hours in 1 cup salt to 4 cups water. Keep refrigerated at all times.
    Rinse thoroughly in cold water and soak in vinegar 24 hours. Longer will not hurt.
    Rinse thoroughly again.
    Layer fish in jar between layers of sweet white onion slices.
    Make brine of 2 cups vinegar, 1 tbsp all spice, 1 tbsp cloves, 2 tbsp mustard seed and 1.75 cups sugar. Double if required.
    Stir to dissolve sugar. Pour over fish, seal jar and refrigerate.
    Wait 2 weeks and enjoy.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No thanks…lol

Let me put it a different way. I opened the Chateau yesterday. The guy at the liquor store said that the wine would go bad by day 7 and I would need to open a different bottle of wine for the second round of pickling. Do you use 2 bottles of wine per pickling cycle?

Ted

The concern of the guy at the liqueor store was to sell you a second bottle of wine. For a fine wine-yes it will get dull and oxidize in seven days after opening w/o any type of care. It would be fine for pickled fish.

When I make this pickled fish recipe I buy a 5 liter box of the cheapest I can find.

BTW-I can never make enough of this, it goes way too fast. By far the best pickled fish ever. I always use gills.

Also, woodmans or even festival foods (i think) has pickling spice. Look in the bulk baged spice section near the produce dept.

If your really ambitious you can make your own too. It’s pretty easy, Just google it.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Thanks!!

Ted

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

You guys are going to way to much work for your pickled fish. We need to get one of the Flick clan to post Grandmas’s Pickled Fish recipe. It only takes 48 hrs and involves no rinseing draining or heating and it tastes great![by the way, I think Gramma Flick turned 92 last week]How bout it Jarred?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.