Pickled northern recipe wanted

• paul follmer
    any where there biting

Hello everyone,

Looking for a pickled northern recipe any help is always appreciated.

Tight lines to all and to all a good night

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Yes, please do share……..I need one myself.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From the Famous Fishing Machine:

Quote:

Picled Fish
    1st week 7 days
    1 1/2 qt fish fillets ( small pcs )
    1/2 cup canning salt
    1 1/4 cups vinegar
    3/4 cup white wine
    Shake well – place in refrig. and shake well dailey for 7 days. Drain and rinse well in cold water.
    2nd week 7 days
    3/4 cup vinegar
    1 1/4 cups white wine
    2 onions chopped or sliced
    1 tablespoon pickling spice
    1/2 cup sugar
    shake well dailey
    ready to eat on 7th day

Once you’ve tried this, you’ll never eat herring again!

Thanks again Mary!

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Thanks for sharing!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ps….

Quote:

Shake well – place in refrig. and shake well dailey for 7 days. Drain and rinse well in cold water.

Speaking from experiance, do not save the white wine..no matter how expensive…it just doesn’t taste the same.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I was thinking fishing machine too briank, i heard hers is out of this world.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I am definately going to try this. Would imagine this works on all species? And what kind of onion you recommend i.e yellow, white, sweet? Thanks for recipe…..

zoomer
    Twin Cities

do you put it in a sealed jar. Can the fish still have some bones Y-bones, if so will they dissolve. No cooking required? after 14 days is it still safe to eat?

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Thanks everyone for sharing.

I will try them all, Now to get some norts’ for pickling

eyedoc

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

You just fillet your fish as you would for frying. Any bones left in all disolve. Can use most any fish. Northern is the best though. Carp and catfish not good. I like to use a sweet onion, have used both the yellow and white. I guess once it is pickled it doesn’t matter. The salt and vinegar in the brine is what cures the fish to make them eatable without cooking.
    Thanks all for the compliments. Glad to know you like them.
    I use to make several pounds of suckers up like this to sell in my fish market.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t know what I was doing on my first batch…just followed the directions….Mary just kept saying “Briank, I don’t care what you paid for the wine…don’t drink it!”

They turned out absolutley fantastic!

…and she was right..the wine tasted…well, not good.

jresoxhunter

Try this recipe…It works great & have found that the fish is little more firm than my brothers recipe in which you boil the fish in the brine…….Give ‘er a try!!!!!
    This is an attachment since I am unable to paste & I am lazy…Jim

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s jresoxhunter’s attachment

Pickled Northern Pike
    (Note: this is a cold fish brine recipe; you do not use heat for any of the steps.)
    1st step: Filet your fish. You can leave the bones in the meat, as this recipe dissolves the bones as it cures. Cut fish in bite size or larger (smaller) pieces.
    2nd step: Pack loosely in quart glass jar. Add 5/8 cup of pickling salt per quart. Fill with white vinegar to cover fish. Shake jar until salt is dissolved. Let stand 5 days in the refrigerator, gently shaking once a day.
    3rd step: After the 5th day, remove fish from jar, wash fish with cold water, and drain. Let stand in cold water 1/2 to 1 hour; drain again.
    4th step: Using a quart jar, fill the jar to the half-way point with the cold drained fish in loose layers of sliced onions. Add 2 cups white sugar, 2 tablespoons pickling spice, dash of dried red peppers. Continue filling jar with alternate layers of fish and onions. Add enough white vinegar to cover the fish and onions.
    5th step: Let stand in refrigerator for one week for flavor. Keeps in refrigerator for 3-4 months. Serve with crackers!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Back to the top for Mr. J Ritter….who’s lost in the search engine right now…

showags
    Hastings, MN

Not to get too specific, but what is the best type of white wine to use for that recipe?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The best wine I have found for pickling is Shateau La Salle. It comes in a green bottle.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I use the most expensive wine I can find.

Fishing Machine recommended the cheapest you could find…if you didn’t plan on drinking it afterwards.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Thank you Brian!

Jami

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Along with Bret’s choice of wine, I would also like to recommend Thunderbird or Wild Irish Rose.
    Both excellent for pickling or getting pickled.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Along with Bret’s choice of wine, I would also like to recommend Thunderbird or Wild Irish Rose.
    Both excellent for pickling or getting pickled.

Thunderbird, seriously will do that, just not sure if I would hate my fish that much to drown them in it…..

john-o
    Hastings, MN

I love pickled fish and I don’t want to be a buzz kill, but we should all check out this article from the DNR. I’m sorry that I didn’t know how to link directly to this article, but I found it on the MN DNR site by searching for pickled fish. The article is second on the result list from the Minnesota Conversation Volunteer. I saw this article a couple of years ago and this post brought it back to mind.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Is this the article?

Quote:

Minnesota Conservation Volunteer, January-February 2006
    Magazine Article: “You Don’t Want To Eat That Raw”
    Pages 42 – 49 By Tim Brastrup and John McCue

Clarification on Pickling
    In this article, John and I wrote that when fish are cooked, they should be cooked thoroughly and that heat should be applied in the fish pickling process to ensure that tapeworm cysts are killed. The larval stage of broad fish tapeworm forms a cyst in the flesh of fish and that is what can be a problem if the cyst is not killed before consumption with either heat or freezing. The assumption here is that fresh fish, not frozen fish are most commonly being pickled. Without freezing the fish first, heat would be necessary since the brine alone will not kill the cysts. Freezing fish properly can kill tapeworm cysts and other parasites but it should be done following very specific standards. Should you decide to freeze your fish to kill parasites prior to pickling, you may be interested in following the standards established by the United States Department of Health (USDA) in their Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) for processing fish. You can locate the standards on the USDA website by going online to http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/haccp4e.html, then go to Fish And Fisheries Products Hazards And Controls Guidance, Chapter 5, step #14. There is also additional information on broad fish tapeworms in USDA’s “Bad Bug Book” at http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap26.html. There are recipes around that a person just needs to search for, through cookbooks and books on fish preparation at libraries and bookstores. The bottom line is that all fish have parasites, some of which can pose human health problems, however, keep in mind that fish can continue to be a great menu item and be consumed safely with proper preparation.

Tim Brastrup

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I tried Mary’s and it was good! I’m trying one that Dean gave me that doesn’t use wine.Almost done..Will be done in a couple day’s.Dean say’s “it’ll be good…Don’t worry Chap”!We’ll see……

john-o
    Hastings, MN

Thanks Bret, that is the article.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

By brine, do they mean just salt? Or does brine take into consideration vinegar? Just curious, as the acid in vinegar should kill anything. Salt only on the other hand may not.

Do they say it that way because brines can vary?

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

For Mary’s recipe…are you using white vinegar, cider vinegar or does it even make a difference in this case?

Thanks,

Jim

><(((>

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I don’t know if there’s a difference…but I used white vinegar.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

I use the most expensive wine I can find.

Fishing Machine recommended the cheapest you could find…if you didn’t plan on drinking it afterwards.

I am bringing this back up to the top since I am in the 1st stage of the fishing machines recipe!! First time ever pickling anything… I am having a rough time finding pickling spice at the stores. The coop in La Crosse has a mild version that I will have to swing down and buy. Any brands of pickling spice that people like in particular? Secondly, when everyone is saying don’t save the wine…I am taking it as from day 1 to day 7 when you add another dose of it to the fish??? Correct? And if that is the case…BrianK…that is why you purchase a better quality wine…so you can drink it after? I have a huge jug of Chateau that Bret said worked well and do not imbibe during the week(when humanly possible). If anyone wants it, shoot me a pm or swing by… Can you use this recipe with eggs also? One more thing…does any white wine work…sweet or dry? Thanks for the answers in advance!!

Ted

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Ted after the 1st 7 days you drain and throw that brine away and rinse your fish well. Then start the second part. You use a sweet wine. And any pickling spice will do.

Mary

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.