Bluegill question

• scott942
    Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin

A few years back, I was fishing Big Arbor Vitae Lake near Minocqua, WI and caught a couple of nice ‘gills. When I filleted them out, the meat looked like someone had sprinkled pepper throughout it. Anyone know what that is and if it’s edible? I did not consume them.

Thanks!

Scott

Ingy

Flavor crystals!!
    Actually they’re a parasite that’s harmless after cooking.
    Ingy

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

nothing a little hot grase and hot temps wont kill i dont reall know they may of been okay.
    -Aaron

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

That is a very dangerous situation–next time it happens–continue to fillet them out and then pack the fillets in dry ice and ship them directly to me for proper disposal!

–Whitey

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I have the proper clearence to help you dispose of them Whitey!!

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Can’t get myself to eat them when they look like that. My husband use to say a little extra meat never hurts you. I just don’t want the extra meat. Seems that if you catch them in deep fast moving waters they don’t have them. But in the more shallow ares is where they do have.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its a 2 course meal! thier nothing to worry about.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

I found this on the IA DNR site under farm ponds.

Click on attachment above

JIM

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t have a problem with the “pepper flukes” unless they are really bad. You’ll see them in Northerns too. But the yellow grub is another story. Call me weak, but when you can hold a fillet up to the light as see a little worm wiggling around…well, I don’t care how good for you or well cooked you make your fish…I’m having hamburger! Yuck!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Brian you need to quit fishing in CutFoot and get on the main lake. The perch are much better there!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Flavor crystals. How funny. As long as I don’t tell my wife about them before we eat there’s no problem.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That is so true Rock!

Because the perch feed in the shallow around Cutfoot they are all wormy. Once you get into Winni…I don’t recall ever seeing a grub.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.