Favorite Fish Fixin

• MrTwister
    Dubuque, Iowa

Okay, I have been catching several fish this fall.

I have a favorite way that I like to fix them. Bake any fillets with butter, lemon pepper, lemon juice and Italian Dressing (all to taste) at 450 for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness.

I also like to fry them in shore lunch and Fryin Magic. Both good breadings.

That got me thinking. What is everyone elses favorite way to fix fish? Anything unique?

Mr. Twister

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Corn Flake crumbs!!!! Use these crumbs in addition to shore lunch or your other favorite breading!!! MMMMM!!! Good!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

My breading is the BEST! Easy too.

Coat the fillet with egg and drop it into a ziplock baggie that is half full of finely crushed Ritz crackers. Seal the baggie and shake until the fillet is completely coated. Then remove fillet and pan-fry in butter!

I’m telling you it is by far the BEST breading I’ve ever had!

– d-nort

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I like to poach the fillets in white wine (32 oz. bottle) for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Then I toss out the fillets and drink the wine! Then the question becomes, where’s the beef? Surely, I jest!

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

MmmmMmmmm….Steamed Fish….

Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil that is big enough to hold your fish wrapped up. Add a little olive oil to the center of the foil. Salt and pepper top of the fillets. Take fillets and lay on the olive oil spot (can be stacked). Add a little butter. Add one or two ice cubes (depending on how much fish).

Seal the package by matching two ends and folding down a few times. Then seal the ends by folding a few times.

Cook on grill or in oven. Fish is done when foil package puffs up…unless you didn’t seal it well enough. Hard to mess up unless you let the package dry out. Breaded coatings don’t work as well.

Plus, no pans to clean if done on the grill!

i_da_woman
    Wisconsin

Quote:

I like to poach the fillets in white wine (32 oz. bottle) for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Then I toss out the fillets and drink the wine! Then the question becomes, where’s the beef? Surely, I jest!

You also seem to think, for variation on this recipe, you can substitute beer for the wine and eliminate the fillets altogether!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

crushed saltine crackers, with lemon pepper mixed in, and a “good” dash of garlic powder, deep fry @ 375.

This is where the 15″ eye works great!!!!! perfect size for the whole fillet to be fried!!!!!!!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I bake walleye @ 350 for 12 min. Preheat the baking dish and melt a Tbs of butter in it. Put in the fillets, and top each one with a few very thin slices of butter. I add a sprinkle of cracked pepper, a little salt, and a generous dash or two of paprika. Serve with a slice or two of lemon. By far the best way I’ve found to make walleye.

I grill catfish fillets. Melt half a stick of butter and add a little garlic. Take your catfish fillets and give them a liberal coating of the melted butter.
    Get the grill going med-high and clean the grate well. Put a little of the melted butter onto a papertowel and wipe on the grate. Throw the fillets on the grill. Go about 8-9 min on the first side, 5 min on the flip side. The grill will flare up a little but that’s OK, it kind of “blackens” the fish and makes it easier to flip. When you flip the fish use two spatulas, and only flip it once or it will fall apart. This is great by itself, but I prefer it as a fish samich. Hoagie bun, lettuce, tomato, tartar.
    This is probably one of my favorite meals. I bet it would be fantastic with cajun seasoning too.

Commander Honeybunch’s Choice
    Chop a few potatoes into bite size pieces and soak in salt water (makes them crisp better) for 20 min. Pan fry potatoes in 1/4 cup HOT oil. When the potatoes are good and brown, add 1/2 cup chopped onions and about 7-8 gill fillets that were cut into bite size pieces. Cook this mess untill the fish is starting to fall apart in the pan (abt 5 min). Serve sizzling with balsamic vinegar or shrimp cocktail.

As with any nice home made meal. Make sure to enjoy a few malted and well hopped beverages, or a nice glass of wine.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Drop fish in boiling water until meat is flakey. Serve quickly with mashed potatos, butter, and white sauce before the rest of the Norvegians in the neighborhood can smell it and come running.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I don’t eat a lot of fish but one of mine favorites is to broil the fillets in a little milk and cover with bacon bits and swiss cheese.

2Fishy4U

OK folks, like the Hot Fish Shop did in Winona for 50+ years. A great and somewhat sweet beer batter. I think you include eggs, obviously beer, paparika, a bit of salt, yeast or baking soda, and for whatever rerason caranation milk. Unfortunately, I lost the receipt so if anyone has please include on this post.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Funny that this topic came up. I offered to cook for the better half tonight and am using Louisiana Seasoned Fish Fry mix. Deep fry the walleye and serve it with some boiled potatos and creamed corn.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Back yard, open fire pit with favorite breading in cast iron skillet. Theres just something about cooking them over an open fire

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

This post has got me hungry! Shore Lunch is a good brand… The best recipe i have done was taken from Infisheran magazine. I am not sure the exact amounts of each ingredient but i made it once last year with walleye and it was great.It was a beer batter but the sauce was the best part. Infisherman recommended taking plain Dejon(Spelling*)
    and mixing it with maple syrup. It made for a very sweet, tasty sauce..If anybody is more interested i can try and find the magazine and i will zip you a copy of the ingredients.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Mix Fry Magic and potatoe flakes (not potatoe buds) 50/50. Season with lemon pepper. Place in zip lock bag, throw in the fillets and shake. Deep fry in hot oil. Keep unused mix in frezer.

shaley
    Milford IA

Crushed crakers of your choice dip fillets in egg roll in the crumbs deep fry to a golden brown. I like to season with Lowrys salt when they come out of the cooker.

On the grill wrap fillets, butter, lemon pepper, and lemon slices in foil toss on the grill with a steak MMMMMMMM

jldii

I’ve been in the restaurant business off and on for over 30 years now, and have seen fish cooked literally hundreds of different ways. One of my favorite ways with walleye is pretty simple. Dice 2 gloves of garlic, and one small onion. Put in a pan with 1/4cup olive oil, and sautee until onions are clear. Add one can diced tomatos, and 1/4 teaspoon dried basil and heat thouroughly. While thats heating coat a baking dish with butter and lay your filets in the pan with a little salt and pepper. Don’y use any bigger a dish than is needed. Pour tomato mixture over fish. Sprinkle herb bread crumbs and parmasan cheese over the top and place in preheated 350* oven for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness of fish.
    (Maybe less time if you are cooking 15″ fish like Gary )

Walleye baked in Pomodoro sauce.

I usually serve this with Rici Bisi. (White rice and peas)

As a matter of fact, this is what I’m fixing for dinner tonight, except I’m using Tilapia instead of walleye.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Here’ one that i use for my fish,

Box of instant potato flakes.
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal.
    1/2 cup flour.
    1/2 tablespoon baking soda.
    3 to 4 long green onions,,,can substitute with 1/2
    small white or yellow onion.
    Lemon pepper
    garlic powder
    one large egg
    milk
    lousiana hot sauce if wanted

In a bowl mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, finely
    processed onions and spices. Add the egg and milk now
    and mix throughly to a semi thick consistency, then add
    hot sauce to taste.

Heres what makes thick batter,,,put the batter in
    the refrigerator for about an hour and let cool so it
    gets thick. Dry off fillets and dip into batter then
    right into a wide mouthed bowl of the potato flakes.
    I pour potato flakes right over the fillet and press
    the fillet with my fingers until coated nicely. Take
    from bowl and lay on plate until ready to deepfry.

Heres a recipie i use for tartar sauce

Tub of chive and onion chipdip
    Jar of mayonaise or miracle whip
    sour cream
    3 to 5 long green onions or other onions

Add 1/2 chipdip to 1/2 miracle whip, then add a couple
    of heaping tablespoons of sourcream, then the chopped
    onions. I like my onions coarsely chopped.

When the fillets are done and just out of the oil i
    put the cold tartar sauce on them then. The potato
    flakes make a great crunchy coating and with the cold
    tartar sauce it really hits the spot.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Hands down. Don’s Chuckwagon beer batter mix. It is all I use. 1.5 cans of beer per box. There are a few on the site here who can attest to this…

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Ahh, Tuck. The secret is out. What happens to the other half of the beer?

jldii

Tuck,

Where can a person find that beer batter mix you use?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Jon J brought some chuckwagon on our fishing trip. It was the 1st time I had it and it was VERY good.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

On a serious note, Don’s Chuckwagon is very good! I discovered it 3 summers ago and use have used it exclusively ever since!

MrTwister
    Dubuque, Iowa

Never heard of Don’s Chuckwagon mix. Where do you get it?
    Please don’t tell me it is a Minnesota thing.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Chuckwagon is a great batter for deep frying. Like Tuck said, 1 ½ can of beer and a box – Done! You can buy it Cub Foods here in the cities.

For a good breading. (I’ll use a breading when pan frying.) I use a similar mix mentioned above. A blend of crackers, potato flakes, shore lunch and spices like garlic, Cajun powder, salt, pepper or whatever is in the cabinet at the time. Dip the filets in a mix of egg and beer and fry.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I picked up my last batch of Don’s chuckwagon at Isle supervalu.

It sells out quick!

One final note, Tuck’s told me you cook at 325 degrees with this batter, something to do with the carbonation making the temp rise?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Hands down. Don’s Chuckwagon beer batter mix. It is all I use. 1.5 cans of beer per box. There are a few on the site here who can attest to this…

Chris, Does this mean drink 1.5 cans per box????

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Wow lots of good plans here. Instead of saltines or ritz crackers (I like both of these options too) use a little Panko bread crums. They are in the oriental section of the store and are a very light bread crums that deep fry well. I second the open fire and cast iron plan. Another thing that makes a fish meal complete is sauce.

Try equal parts Mayo and miracle whip, juice of half a lemon or lime if you prefer and two or three table spoons of sweet relish makes the finest tartar sauce in the free world.

englunmb

A very easy way to prepare fish is to put them in aluminum foil with ketchup and a little bit of butter and then bake it. This sounds disgusting but we do this in Canada each year and everyone seems to enjoy it, once they have tried it

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Heres a different way to make Walleye or any type of fish.

You will need:

1 chopped green pepper

1 chopped yellow pepper

1 chopped red pepper

1 chopped yellow onion

1 chopped red onion

1 cup chopped cerely

1 pound of chopped hot sausage

1/4 minced Cilantro

2 TBS minced Garlic

2 TBS pepper

1 TBS salt

1 TBS oregano

1 TBS Rosemary

1 TBS Dill

1 pound of bacon

1/2 cup of flour

1 cup of cooked white rice

2 large cans of Swansons chicken broth

2 pounds of boneless walleye meat cubed or chunked.

Add all ingredients into a large crock pot or roasting pan except bacon, flour and fish.

Next fry bacon and strain the fat. Heat up fat until it smokes and then add the flour. Cook until it turns the color of a brown paper bag usually 4-5 minutes. Crumble the bacon and add to the pot along with the fat/flour mix. Heat everthing to 350 and simmer on stove top or oven for 1 hour. Next gently place fish into the pot and simmer for another 20-30 minutes until fish meat is white.

Serve with cornbread or favorite bread.

This is my favorite fish dish. You really enjoy the taste of the meat.

Hint* this dish really gets good when left in the fridge for a few days. I usually make a large pot on a sunday and live off it all week.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.