Fishing partner, Best friend and Dad…

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yesterday Oct 4th I lost my fishing partner, best friend and dad in one soft, comfortable breath.

After 11 years with leukemia (the Dr’s told him he had two years to live at that time), he left for his extended fly fishing trip.

His passion was for fly fishing, mostly for sunnies and crappies. He always said when things got rough, he would think of hooking into a pound sunnie at Lake Ripley outside of Litchfield, MN. The excitement of the strike on the line, the tip of his 6 weight rod getting dipped into the water and finally the circles the big gill would make, pulling all the way, would make the tough time better.

Our inside joke was “Someone got a net?”. This joke came when I was getting ready behind the truck and he was fishing already. He hooked into a little 1/4 pound sunnie on Stahl’s Lake using his 4 weight. Someone (that I’m guessing hasn’t ever seen a fly rod in action) started hollering…”Someone Got A NET! He Needs a NET!”. I looked around the truck just in time to see Dad with his big smile lifting out this baby gill and showed this fella how big it was….maybe you needed to be there…Fly rods are similar to a buggy whips and it doesn’t take much to have them bend over.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I got my first fly rod from dad….minus the flies. My job was to practice casting in the yard with the line and leader only. I think he just wanted to make sure I didn’t hook him on the back cast! Since then we’ve used fly rods 98% of the time and he continued this practice on the Hutchinson area lake until this spring when his second heart attack made it impossable to stand for any period of time. The sunfish around Hutchinson rejoiced. As long as Dad had a fly rod in his hand…they were a threatened species.

For close to 35 years, he would make the trip up with Winni fishing the Third River Flowage in the spring and Cutfoot in the fall. Many of the Third River areas that are camp sites today where cleared years ago by dad and “the crew”.

We always had a standing bet…twenty five cents for the first keeper of anytype of fish each time we went out. I always kept a roll of quarters in my tackle box. If we would have bet on the first baracuda, it would have been a sure thing that dad would have got that quarter too.

In the last five years, with dad reaching 80…I felt that sleeping in the camper wasn’t working for him any longer. We started staying at Cutfoot Sioux Inn.

Last fall I talked him out of making the 4.5 hour drive up to Winni and start spending this time on the Croix and staying at our house. This was agreed on….until the last morning when we limited on eye’s and returned many outside of the slot. I new we would be back next year.

I always told him that we would go fishing as long as I could get him into the boat. Last spring he took me up on that. Using a wheel chair and with the aid of Mom and my wife, we loaded him into the boat. We all thought this would be his last time up there. Wrong again…

Dad spend 3 weeks in a nursing home this summer after a week in the hospital. He was just too much for Mom to handle. Next thing I knew, he was home again and doing amazingly better…so good, that I asked Mom if he could make it up to Winni… two days later we were fishing Cutfoot during the warmer, early September afternoons. He was walking to the boat and only needed help climbing in. I call this our “Bonus” trip.

Three weeks later, he knew that he was entering the hospital for the last time. With his type of leukemia, your bones start hurting and it’s imposable to get comfortable enough to sit still, much less sleep. Prior to leaving, he called me never mentioning that he wasn’t feeling good or planning on going in. When I answered the phone, there was the familiar greeting…”your cork’s down” as he always said. He wanted to know how my Red River cat trip went. He always gave me a hard time about fishing for those “bullheads”, but was always showing pictures of the flatheads to his friends.

Another saying that he started using 24 years ago with my daughter was “Do you love me, or do you not?…you told me once, but I forgot”

I’ll never forget Dad.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Brian, I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’m sorry for your loss BK….If you need anything, let me know.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I am sorry for the loss. All the years of fishing, the memories,the stories, will live on forever. It makes you very thankful that you had the time to spend together and that is what it is all about. Time well spent.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I’m sorry for your loss Brian.

One thing I’ve learned spending time with my dad is that you truly don’t get to know who they are until you’re an adult yourself. I sounds like you got to know him real good.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Brian;

I’m so sorry for your loss.

You and your family is in my prayers.

God bless and take care.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Brian, I’m so sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing the memories with us….and again, I’m sorry

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Brian sorry to hear of your loss man . I dread the day that happens to me. But, I look forward to all the fun times I still have to spend with the man I have admired my whole life and lucky enough to call DAD. I hope you can find time of comfort during this period, but like you said, I’m sure the fish are biting at his fly this very moment! .

Again, truly sorry Brian and GOD bless your family.

jldii

I’m sorry for your loss Brian.

Keep remembering all those good times and it will be easier for you to deal with what you are going thru today.

He was, and always will be, your best fishing partner.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Sorry for your loss Brian.
    Thanks for sharing the memories.
    Sounds like you had one awesome father!

bigroy
    Winona, MN

Brian
    your thoughts written have touched my heart. I got
    to call my father and tell him I love him. you just
    can’t tell them enough. my prayers are with your family.
    thanks for sharing. take care

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Sorry to hear the sad news Brian. You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your father! You are in our thoughts and prayers!!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Terribly sorry for your loss Brian. I cannot begin to understand your pain or suffering. ALl I can say is thank you for sharing a small tiny portion of your history together.
    God Bless you, your family and your dear old Dad!

superdave
    NE IA

Brian, I’m sorry for your loss, my sympathies….

Dave

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Great memories Brian! Sorry for your loss….something tells me your story will be continued…… Thinking about ya. Steve

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Brian,

Your family will be in my prayers.

Darin

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Brian,so sorry for your loss.
    Ryan Hale

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

So sorry to to hear this, Brian. I’m sure he will be missed in the Hutch area.

I’ll never forget the hard times he gave to Brad at the bowling alley or to us bowlers when we complained about lane conditions. But I can imagine that he is sitting by a little lagoon like Minnebelle’s right now.

My condolences to you and your family. As tough as the next few days will be, it will get better with time as more good memories return.

Please give your Mom my best also.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Brian – Very sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dean

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Brian and family I am sorry for your loss, our prayers are with you. Thanks for sharing the great memories. Keep saying Dad’s quotes, it helps to keep those alive. Denise

emover
    Malcom, IA

Brian,
    First, I am so sorry for your loss.
    I was deeply moved by your post. My family’s thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Your recollections of the fly rod, bring back great memories, I built my first one in 7th grade, and practiced casting the same way. Frayed the end of that leader, but learned never to hook my ear.

You learned from the best, and remembering the many great times and sayings are what creates the healing process. I feel I knew your dad, just from reading your eulogy post.

If I can help in anyway, please let me know.

dave

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

thoughts and prayers are with you,
    God bless

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Brian, thanks for sharing some of your memories. A prayer to you and your family from the White household.

–Whitey

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Brain:

Very very sorry to hear of your loss. The times you had with your dad sound very wonderful.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Brian,

Very sorry to hear about your loss. You can bet he is fishing superior water now. I lost my grandpa a few years back and I can still feel him looking over my shoulder when I fish his favorite water. The first time I went after he passed I went alone and was so broken up I almost gave up fishing.

heimdawg

I’m sorry for your loss, Brian.
    I wish you all the best and I’m glad you have those great memories and thanks for sharing. It makes us all appreciate what and who we have while we have it.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Extremely sorry for your loss. Times like these you remember the past memories and think about the Dad stories you get to share with your family.

May God grant you peace knowing that your Dad is up there making sure your cork is down.

My condolences.

Derek

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Brian,
    I am truly very sorry for your loss. I know the heartache of losing your best friend. I just got back from “visiting” my father at Fort Snelling National Cemetary. Your memories of time spent together will never fade. He’s will still always be there for you. Trust me in that. I still talk to my dad almost everyday.
    If you need anything, please let me know. I’ll make sure you’re included in our prayers.
    Steve

jhalfen

Brian: I am deeply sorry and saddened by your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family during this challenging time. -Jason

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.