Question on CABELA’S Tournament

• sallie

I live on pool 9 and have been sitting here watching all of the tournament boats that have been going by the house. I don’t know how many are in the tournament but I would imagine about 50 went by. They are launching on pool 10 and the weigh in is at Cabela’s in PDC. I was just wondering if some of the fish that are caught get released back into pool 9.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It’s the Cabela’s / Masters Walleye Circuit championship event. Top 50 teams from last year. Invite only.

I don’t know for sure, but I’d assume the fish are released at the weigh in site. I have a couple friends in the tourney. I’ll ask next time I see them.

-J.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I hope they ones running up to 9 are calling the lock and dam to reserve a lock. A few years back someone had a livewell full of big pool 9 eyes and got stiffed by a barge. They would have won a pretty penny for a cell phone call.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Unfortunatly a boater cannot reserve a lock and the barges have priority.All you can do is keep in touch with the lockmaster on traffic.That is the chance you take when you lock threw at a tournament.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Actually they do have reserved times for the tournament boats to go threw the lock and damm. The fish they catch are put into a hatchery truck at the weigh-in in the cabelas parking lot and takes them back to the river (not sure where though).

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The corp of engineers guy who I was sharing beers with (seemed like he took some heat from the anglers) told me they could have called and reserved a time. They may have changed that policy after this incident though. It was 2 yrs ago.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

In years past I believe the walleyes caught were put into the Genoa Fish hatchery truck and brought to P9 and released.

barc
    SE MN

I hope they put them ALL back into pool 10!!!
    And take all that darn grass down to pool 11
    barc

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

It is possible they had something set up beforehand for this tournament but I doubt they would hold up barge traffic for fishing boats provided there was any barge traffic.When I fished the Cabelas NTC in Dubuqe it was like I stated above.In fact the last day of the tournament the 2 local guys that were in first place radiod up to the lockmaster 1/2 hour before start time and wanted to lock threw 30 minutes later and the lockmaster came back on the radio and said we dont take reservations.

sallie

Thanks for the information. Before we moved here we had a camper at Red Wing. I went to a weigh in at Colville Park which I think was the same tournament. I’m going to try to make it to one of the weigh-ins at Cabela’s. It sounds like the fishing is a little tough around here but maybe it’ll be better today.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Actually they do have reserved times for the tournament boats to go threw the lock and damm. The fish they catch are put into a hatchery truck at the weigh-in in the cabelas parking lot and takes them back to the river (not sure where though).

The same formatted was true for the FLW Finals in Winona this year. They had set times we could get through. Other times were at our own risk. It is hard to believe they would allow us to hold up barge traffic.

Sully

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.