Attempting a Canadian Crossing

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

As most all of you are aware, I’m considered a felon in Canada…due to a previous DUI conviction. I need to travel to Canada now for work. I have found the “Application for Rehabilitation”. I’ve filled it out, but have to find some old addresses since they want to know where I have lived the last 10 years. Little do they know, I’ve moved about 12 times in 10 years.

Anyway, here is where I need your help. I need to write a short essay describing why I am rehabilitated and not a danger to Canada. I know many of you are much more eloquent than I so I’m looking for suggestions.

I’ve described the penalties the judge gave me and how I met the requirments. However, when it comes to defining my rehabilitation….It’s got me stumped. I simply don’t drink and drive anymore. I’ve got a family to worry about, a job etc…

What else can you add?? Anyone who had filled out this form care to share how they answered #17, please send me a PM.

Thanks everyone!!!

GEMEYEGUY

Koot
    I think you’re tag line sums it up quite nicely.

“I was born in the 70’s, grew up in 80’s, made my mistakes in 90’s now I’m just trying to make up for lost time.”

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Kooty,

Just remember to cover up your “I hate Canadian’s” bumber sticker before you pull up to the gates…..I think that’s what screwed us the last time

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I would defer to the IDA resident “Talksmith” eye-jacker for this one…

kooty
    Keymaster

I was hoping he would reply Tuck!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Kooty, tell him about the IDA fish Fry at the Pond when you drank the $33 12 pack and had James drive you home

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Man that was good beer!

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Kooty, tell him about the IDA fish Fry at the Pond when you drank the $33 12 pack and had James drive you home

I didn’t get it all, but I did my SD best!!!!! I’d sure make the old man proud.

jldii

Since you’re talking beers, there is this intersting story about beer……….

One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to
    his buddy Norm. Here’s how it went:

“Well ya see, Norm, it’s like this… A herd of buffalo can only move as
    fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the
    slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural
    selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of
    the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
    slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills
    brain cells.

But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In
    this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells,
    making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always
    feel smarter after a few beers.”

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Rehabilitation means you dont drink anymore. You had better put that down or crash the border gates to get in..

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

Koot,
    Are you going to be crossing on a regular basis or just once? We crossed at Intl’Falls in June. The Customs agent ran my licence and saw that I have had one (OWI). He asked me a few questions and let me cross. I believe as long as you are polite and answer all questions truthfully, you will be ok.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Kooty? Thruthfully? That’s a good one!

Why do you think he posted it here in the first place!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

After hearing all the Kooty stories, I think that DUI is the last thing you need to worry about at the crossing.

Ron

kooty
    Keymaster

I will actually be flying into Calgary. We acquired a business up there and I need to go evaluate the current IT infrastructure and my new direct reports. I’m not sure how often I’ll be going, probably a couple times a year.

I only lie about the size of my fish and one other thing.

I’ve gotten some pretty good suggestions privately and have incorporated them into my “Essay”.

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Here’s a good one: Canada is holding the National AA convention this year. Alot of people aren’t able to go as you have to be “dry” for so long and have to do the “essay” and have proof for how long you’ve been “dry”. Why did they even sign up for hosting this event?

bigpike

Gotta love a good “Cliff-ism” Thank you for that….

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Kooty, once you have yours done you should post it, so others in the same boat can use yours as a “reference”. Ok, I just want to copy it if it works!

Good luck

Jami

kooty
    Keymaster

FYI, I’m more than happy to share this info with anyone needing it. Send me an email to john.kutz at gmail.com and I’ll send over copies of the docs when I’ve finished. Of course I’ll have to find out if they work or not.

englunmb

Just for a future reference. We had a guy come with us to Canada last year who had a DWI. He applied for the temporary permit and they rejected his appeal to enter. We called the resort we were going to and asked him if he had any suggestions. He said that if they ran his license at the border they might just let him through. He said sometimes they just want a little money for taxes and then they will let you in, as long as you are cooperative at the border.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They don’t want to hear that you drink and don’t drive either.

kooty
    Keymaster

Let me tell you. The Canadians are a real pain in the I’ve been trying to call the immigration office for over a week. Each time I reach a human(which isn’t very often), I get told to call a certain number. It’s a VRU with no options to speak to anyone.

I’m so frustrated, I simply want to ask some questions on the application so it doesn’t get denied for something simple/stupid on my part.

It makes me wonder why honest people have such a hard time getting into a country and the crooks seem to come and go as they please.

Stupid Canada!!!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

An Essay huh…..
    Try this
    This one time in Ortonville I was staying at the Sunrise Motel….I got wasted at the bar across the street, staggered back to the hotel, tried to crawl into bed with Cory twice before finding the right bed and then at some point during the evening peed in Stickboys shoes.
    He was REALLY ticked in the morning when he tried to put his shoes on.
    The End.

bassandbucks
    Wisconsin

I Pee’d in my buddy Shawn’s Shoes once in Fort Frances Ont after drinking many Maximum Ice Beers. Apperantly, I pee’d in my own suitcase also. Damn Canadian Beer

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We may not want to talk to you Kooty but we are watching what you are typing.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.