Blue Walleye

• englunmb

I just got back from a recent fly in trip to Ontario. We have gone to this lake for 5 years and never caught a “blue walleye.” This year however we caught a few hundred of them. They have a very distinct blue/green stripe across the top half of their body and the tail fin and dorsal fin are all blue. Some of them have very bright coloring. We asked the owners of the resort we fished and they were somewhat surprised that we caught so many of them but they said they did not know what caused this. They even mentioned that the biologists up there are confused. Has any one heard of this, or know what causes this?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Where we fish in Canada I have seen this on some of the walleyes as well. I never did get a straight answer to what caused the strange coloration on the fish. It sure is a different blue/green color.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

This wouldn’t be the extinct “blue pike” would it????????

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

I’d never heard of that. Do you have any pictures? I’d like to see a picture of one.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Maybe the bottom fish is cold….

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Rootski

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Maybe the bottom fish is cold….

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Rootski

Well then, shouldn’t it be smaller?

englunmb

I still have half of my film to take pictures with but as soon as I get them developed I will put a picture of the fish up. They didn’t look like the fish in the picture or the fish described in the article. There top half was a distinct, bright blue/green and the lower half looked just like the other walleyes being caught, golden. The sizes were all right along with the typical gold walleyes we caught.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Was the lake you caught them in a dark stained lake with pine bogs/creeks running in or out? The reason I ask is a few lakes I fish in the BWCA have walleyes with a blueish coloring to them.

TomSchmitt
    Waucoma, IA

We also have caught 2 blue walleye on Big Sandy about 3 years ago in October. 24″ that was returned to the lake. Very pretty fish and regret not mounting but maybe she will make more blues. This lake is really dark and stained. Has to be some connection?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.