So Long, Little Buddy

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Bob Denver, TV’s Gilligan, Dead at 70
    Sep 6, 1:47 PM EST

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — Bob Denver, whose portrayal of goofy first mate Gilligan on the 1960s television show “Gilligan’s Island,” made him an iconic figure to generations of TV viewers, has died, his agent confirmed Tuesday. He was 70.

Denver died Friday at Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital in North Carolina of complications from treatment he was receiving for cancer, his agent, Mike Eisenstadt, told The Associated Press. Denver’s death was first reported by “Entertainment Tonight.”

fishinfool
    mn

The comedy world and the rest of the world have lost a legacy. Even I at 39 grew up watching Gilligan every day after school. I will surely miss him. Rest in peace my friend. FISHINFOOL

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

There were so many episodes that were my favorite that I can’t even remember them all! I too watched him every day after school! He’s finally been rescued and is a much better place!!

fish4fish888
    Wahkon,MN

me only being 17 loved him. he was a great comic.truly a sad day in hollywood.

duckwiz66

OK, no one else is going to ask so I will…

Ginger or Mary Ann?

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

Even I at 39 grew up watching Gilligan every day after school.

I’m aging myself pretty good here, but after school, I watched him as Maynard G. Krebbs on The Dobie Gillis show. He was even better than the Gilligan character. But a great loss just the same.

Mrs. 2jranch

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Maynard G. Krebbs

“WORK!”

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I also grew up with him, will be missed.

Ginger would never get in a fishing boat.
    SO Mary Ann it is, a nice country girl

Ron

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Duh!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

That doesn’t even look like Tina Louise in that photo. Was she a last minute substitution to the series? No matter, Dawn Wells still gets the vote!

I don’t remember any specific episodes but I remember the Maynard G. Krebbs character as well. I remember thinking, “Isn’t that Gilligan?”, and then I watched a few episodes. That one and Mr. Ed, Donna Reed, and My Three Sons.

Bob definitely connected with multiple generations of television viewers and will be missed by many. Do you suppose he and Alan Hale (The Skipper) are reunited? I know Alan passed away a few years ago and was the first of the series cast to do so. Ha ha…. to this day I mimic his “hat pelting” with my kids! (Only not as hard!)

I think my favorite Gilligan moments were the ones when his eyes would get REALLY BIG because he just realized a situation……. and usually, his mistaken oversight!

mikem
    SE Minnesota

That picture is from their reunion movie in the late 70’s Tina declined to be in that one.

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

Mary Ann was the real star of the show, right guys?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Mary Ann was the real star of the show, right guys?

Without a doubt!

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

What i could never figure out was how the professor could make a radio out of a coconut….but couldn’t fix a hole in a boat

The show itself is an american icon and truly a great example of good television programming. Bob Denver will be missed but at least we have re-runs.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

The reason the boat didn’t make it back was because of all the clothes and money they brought along on that 3 hour tour.

ARCH
    southern minnesota

what I could never understand is, why would you want to get off of an island that had Mary Ann and Ginger on it.It truly was a great show, there was always that and Andy Griffith, and Leave It To Beaver!!

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Maybe he was called little buddy for a different reason!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.