Just when you think you’ve seen everything….

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

My wife and I went for a walk on the dyke along Pool 2 this evening. It’s always interesting to see what’s happening at the 494 access and tonight was no different. A group of people were trying to launch their Jetski’s. One guy in particular caught my attention: the guy without a trailer He had the Jetski in the back of a Chevy pickup and he backed in until the tailgate was in the water. His buddy pushed the Jetski into the river and didn’t have a lease attached so it just started drifting towards Hastings. Then the guy in the truck floored it and tried to get back on dry land with brute force. Engine screaming and tires spinning the back end of the truck started to dig it’s way down faster than it was moving the truck forward. How he managed to get out, I have no idea. He did tear up ther ramp pretty good I’m sure. I wonder if anyone ever explained to him what “4WD” is for?

It’s always entertaining

Rootski

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

While I was stationed in Florida I used to actually go down to the ramp for entertainment. Sometimes a few of us would designate a driver, and go down with a case of adult refreshment and watch. We reffered to it as “Ramp follies”.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

lol too much

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We haven’t had time this year…but my wife and I would go to the Windmill Marina on Sundays around 5…Pick up some KFC or burgers at the Catfish Bar…and sit at the picnik table..

And there are dock hands there!

For some reason…the guys with the cigar boat always had the most difficult time…or lost their cool for one reason or other…

It’s more fun than watching tv!

jbob
    Hastings, MN

We go to the public launch in Hastings on some Sunday nights for a bunch of laughs. We though of taking a video camera and sending in some of the clips.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

GOING BACK TO THE POOL 8 POWERHOUSE LANDING YESTERDAY MORNING AND LOOKED OVER AT THE OTHER LANDING (HARDIES) AND SAW A TOW TRUCK RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER, SLOWED DOWN TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON, THE TOW TRUCK THEN WHENCHED UP A PONTOON TRAILER OUT OF THE WATER.

GOOD SAFTEY CHAINS

treed

That was my neighbor. There is a drop-off at that landing from the tuna boats using power to get on the trailer. His pontoon trailer wheels droped over the edge. Attempt to pull out the trailer sheared the ball off his hitch! At that point they decided on the tow truck. He said the front wheels of the tow truck came off the ground winching it over the ledge.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

GUESS I SHOULD CHECK MY FACTS BEFORE POSTING, IT SHEERED THE BALL OFF?? WOW WAS HE TRYING TO PULL IT OUT WITH THE POONTOON ON THE TRAILER? I DIDN’T THINK A PONTOON TRAILER WAS THAT HEAVY, I HAVE THIS HAPPEN ALOT AROUND HERE WITH THE FLAT TRAILER W/ BOAT AND I CAN PULL IT TO THE TIRES AND THEY ROLL BACK ON TO THE SLAB.

I SAW ANOTHER THING LAST YEAR ON THE WEST SIDE LANDING, THE SKI CLUB BOAT WAS FLOATING IN FRONT OF THE LAUNCH RAMP WITH THE TRAILER STILL ATTACHED TO THE BOAT (THAT LOOKED PRETTY FUNNY)THE BOAT HAD A ADULT AND A MAYBE 10yr OLD BOY IN THE BOAT (THE KIDS EYES WERE THE SIZE OF ORANGES), I ASKED WHAT HAPPENED AND THEY SAID THAT WHEN THEY PULLED THE TRAILER UP THE RAMP, WHEN THEY WENT OVFER THE TRANSITION AT THE TOP, THE TRAILER HOPPED OF THE BALL STRAIGHTENED THE SAFTEY CHAIN HOOKS AND AWAY THEY WENT BACK INTO THE WATER, EXPLAINS WHY THE KIDS EYES WERE THE SIZE OF ORANGES AND HIS PANTS WERE PROB. FULL.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

That is funny!

krisko
    Durand, WI

I will have to admit I have seen some crazy things at the boat launch too! I also know that several times I have been the entertainment…I usually put my boat in by myself. I do remember a time I backed into a lake and forgot I had already unhooked the boat from the trailer and as I backed in the boat went floating away. I was the only one there, 40 degrees out, and it is 10-15′ deep. So what do I do ….you guessed it, I went to the bar and waited for someone else to show up….3 hours later. How do you like that one? No way I was swimming.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Krisco…you are a TRUE fisherman!

After 3 hours in a bar…I would have forgotten about the boat!

krisko
    Durand, WI

Acutally it was the talk of the bar for a little bit. Me and 3 old guys were discussing what to do… and of course none of them had a boat It was really funny though…I almost got drunk too

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Been there, done that. I pushed my boat into Demontreville early one morning and somehow the lease had come unhooked. I wasn’t happy watching my boat float away. I don’t swim so I waded in as far as I could and still couldn’t reach it. So I sat on a rock and waited for the next guy to show up. I didn’t even have abar to sit in so you were doing better than me. The next guy to show up came flying into the ramp like the devil was on his heels. He had seen my empty boat floating around out in the lake and thought I had fallen out of it and was drowning. He was happy to see me on shore and not face down out in the bay.

Rootski

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

HERE IS A TIP I LEARNED A FEW YEARS AGO DUCK HUNTING.

IF YOU HAVE A DOG IN THE CAR WHEN YOU BACK YOUR BOAT INTO THE WATER, OPEN THE WINDOW ENOUGH TO GET YOUR ARM IN TO UNLOCK YOUR DOOR TO PULL THE EMPTY TRAILER OUT OF THE WATER, MY DOG WAS SO FIRED UP TO GO HUNTIN SHE JUMPED UP ON THE DOOR AND LOCKED IT WITH ABOUT 5 CREWS BEHIND ME WAITING TO GET IN AND IT WAS ABOUT 40min BEFORE SHOOTING TIME.

I FINALLY WORKED THE WINDOW DOWN ENOUGH TO GET MY ARM IN TO UNLOCK THE DOOR, ONLY ABOUT A 15 min DELAY FOR EVERYONE, AND EVERYONE HAD TO GIVE ME THERE OPINION ON THE SITUATION.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

If your fuel pump has to go out with your boat halfway in the water at a busy launch…you better be a catfisherman getting ready to go out at 10 pm when everyone else is out!

Catten Addict talked to the police about leaving his truck overnight…and still had a ticket on it in the morning!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.