Bad Monday and LIFE JACKETS

• sallie

Last Monday morning my husband and I were in a boating accident. We were trolling for walleyes and were broadsided by another boat. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me but the main thing is that nobody got hurt. If we had been in a smaller boat there is no doubt in my mind things would have been a lot worse.
    The main purpose of this post is on life jackets. Guess where mine was? On the front seat. We have a deep wide Crestliner which I’ve always felt safe in. The only time I use my life jacket is when it’s windy and there is rough water. I have a common Stearns jacket and as it turned out it now has a big hole in it. I will never go out again without a life jacket on because s%%%t happens.
    I would like some advice on the lighter not so bulky vests that are out there now. I know they are pretty pricey but to me they would be worth every penny.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Check Cabelas or West Marine for a product called SOSpenders. They are self inflating life jacket that is very lightweight and comfortable.

Who ran into you and how? How big is your boat, how big is boat that hit you?

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Very glad you two are ok.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Very lucky in deed. You both had to have a guardian angel looking over you.
    When a big Ranger ends up on your lap and not a scratch on either of you.

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

My 34 year old son bought a skeeter so I bought him one of those inflatables at Gander Mountain they were $125 but I figured if he wore it it would be worth it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sal, Aaron Robinson has/had an inflatable in the classifieds.

Glad you guys had the angel in the boat with you!

Being a person that wears a PDF 24/7 WHILE on the water (guess I can’t say that any longer, I did have mine off while anchored in the hot weather once this summer) once you change your attitude you don’t even know your wearing one. Somedays I think it should be made into law…most days common sense prevails with me.

If I knew when I got up in the morning that I was going to fall in that day…I would just wear a pdf those days.

I think it’s very inconsiderate for a person not to wear one. Why you ask? Well, if your alone it increases your chance of survival by at least 50%…you’re loved ones might appreciate that…

If you are with someone…who’s going to have to help you back in the boat? The OTHER guy! It’s alot easier to pull someone in a boat when they have a pdf on…In the spring when the currant’s swift…where I fish, you would be sucked under snags. I would have a chance to help you with a pdf on…I have very little chance of helping you without the pdf when you get to the snag…you’ll be going under…and many times not coming out alive.

I’m going to go as far as saying…they way they make pdf’s today, there isn’t a good reason not to be wearing one any longer….But then I’ll say that people are people…some will wear them…and most will not.

My brother in law wouldn’t wear a seat belt because he didn’t like the government telling him what to do..

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Sorry I wasn’t putting down the bass fishing boats and drivers. Walleye fishermen, recreation boaters all are dangerous. Even my little 14ft Alumacraft. It’s the guy operating if he pays attention to what he/ she are doing. Like driving a car.

superdave
    NE IA

Sorry to hear that Sal. I am guilty of leaving my PFD’s in the compartment far to much. I will definitely be more cautious now. Did your boat sink? Good luck and hope to see you on the water again soon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

WOW! Superdave..I’m sure the laws are differant down there…but here in the land where nothing is legal…

Your pdf has to be accessable and in a compartment would be a ticket.

But law or no law….a pdf in a compartment work about as good as one left at home! (not picking on you Dave )

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Brian, I hope you are using PFD’s not PDF’s. Adobe files will do you no good when it comes to floating in the river.

Sal, I’m glad everyone is OK. Can you tell us more about what happened or is there litigation involved that keeps you from divulging at this point?

sallie

Dave
    We had water in the boat. I panicked because I thought there was a hole. It was from the hit and wake. No hole
    I don’t want this to become a bash boaters post. It was a accident that could happen to any boater. I guess I wanted to make a point of the importance of lifejackets.

superdave
    NE IA

Brian your post got me thinking, so I double checked what the law said. It says readily accesible? Sounds like a fine line, I will make sure I have them out now. I’d hate to get a ticket or even worse have to use them and not be able to.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Here is a link to Cabela’s life jacket section. A lot of these are designed to not get in your way while fishing, and are quite comfortable. My whole family has the style with the mesh shoulders, and nobody has complained about them yet.
    PFD’s @ Cabelas
    Glad to hear you’re all okay!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Super…I’ve had some experiance here. One MN DNR CO that stopped me said that your PFD ( not the file) HAS to be out in the open…one Dakota County Water Patrolman said…it can be in a compartment as long as it’s not locked.

I know of a member on this site that got a ticket…went to court and lost…he had a jacket over his PFD and they both were on the back of the seat in his boat. I believe this was a WI officer.

The same works for the “throwable device” for boats over 16 feet. It’s up to the individuals interpatation of “readily accessable”….

My thought is…forget the law…do what’s right and wear it…or at the very least attach it to your belt.

In Sal’s case above…if they were in a compartment…who’s going to think or have time to get them out in a boating accident. Not going to happen.

I’m a pretty open minded guy…but when it comes to PFD’s I’m kinda stubborn…not trying to force my views on anyone…just trying to make boaters think!

Quote:

I wanted to make a point of the importance of lifejackets.

Sal, as always…my hat is tipped!

robby
    Quad Cities

The only problems with the inflatables is that they offer no impact protection like a true PFD does. Ever noticed how rigid the foam is on a quality water skiing jacket?

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sal, I wear my SOSpenders inflatable whenever I am out there alone. It is light, and after a while, feels like nothing on at all. I bought the long version in camo and wear it over a t-shirt, as well as over my Fall/Winter gear which includes Cabelas insulated Guidewear Bibs and Parka. I’d recommend this vest if you are really looking for a light vest that does not feel bulky and stiff. I think mine was in the range of $150.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.