Scum Frog & Moss Boss Techniques

• ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

What is the most effective way to fish these lures?

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I love fishing these in the heavy slop. sometimes I will just reel in at a constant pace other time short jerks that move it 4′ or so each with a pause. constant retrieve and stop it just before or after an opening. that is where 80% of your strikes come from.

HEAVY LINE!!! Rod with lots of backbone but a super fast tip for casting. I like a bait caster best, but I know people that like spinning rods too. .

Nothing better than a blow up in the slop!

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

I will second what was said above. Also bass rat has a walking rat now that walks the do really nicely. Good technique when you are fishing slop that isnt quite as thick. You may know this already but let them eat your frog 2 seconds before setting the hook. Hard to learn but will increase hooking percentage.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Here is a thread from last week that is a good read on the subject. topwater threadYou will have to scroll up once there, the only way I knew how to find it was to find my post. Hope it helps and good luck scum frog fishing is very exciting.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I usually only fish topwater in the heavy cover and man I tell you, it is a blast getting them things to come up out of the water and dance for ya. I use a 7’6″ medium light spinning rod with 30# spider stealth on it. man works great for mowing down that milfoil and lillies that get in the way. just concentrate up close to shore and work the open patches of water. that has been my best luck.

shane

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Personally, I don’t go for the two second rule before setting the hook. I always felt that after giving a nice bass two seconds head start it was difficult to get them back on top. Seems they always found some lilys and other junk to spin around in those two seconds. I set the hook immediately as soon as I’ve lowered the rod tip and took up the slack line(from lowering the rod tip), then winch them across the top as fast as possible. It seems when I’m missing fish most of the time there smaller ones, the bigger fish seem to inhale the bait on the first try. Just my opinion though.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

birdman,

you should try to use a longer rod one time when you are out. that extra leverage gets that head out of the pads and they will dance across the top of the water without gettin you hung up. i use a big long rod, I like it better than the 6’6″ rod i was using.

shane

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Shane, I use a 7’6″ flipping stick and a 7′ heavy action rod for my slop rods with either Power Pro or Fireline. I still think that when you get bigger bass in the heavy slop 2 seconds is too long to let them run. It’s hard enough to get a 3 or 4 pounder up and sliding across the slop, much less with an additional 2 or 3 pounds of cabbage with it. I do think that you miss a few more fish setting the hook earlier, I believe that the majority of them are smaller though.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I noticed that the majority of the fish that I catch while fishing top water is around the 2 to 3 pounds. the biggest one I have caught is a little over 4 pounds and that was a bugger with the 8 pounds of salad that came in with it. but oh well. that is the fun of fishing the slop.

shane

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.