Boaters Needed – Anglers as Rolemodels Event..!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

On Friday July 22nd Anglers As Rolemodels (ARM) will be holding it’s 4th annual “Take a Kid Fishing” day.

In-Depthangling.com and its members have ALWAYS been come through in support of this event and many of the volunteers in attendance at previous events tell us that the day they spend on the water mentoring a young child is the most rewarding and memorable day they will have in a boat all year.

ARM works in conjunction with the Big Brothers and Big Sisters organization to match a guardian, known as a “Big”, with a child in need of mentorship, known as a “Little,” with one of the many ARM volunteers willing to take the “Big & Little” fishing for a day.

ARM “Boaters” do not need to be experienced anglers. They do not need to be guides or drive big and expensive boats. What you do need is the willingness to share your day and your love of fishing with a youngster who is unlikely to have this type of outdoor experience without your help!

For those not familiar with this event here’s how it works….

Volunteers meet at Everts Resort around 7:30 AM. A short pre-outing meeting is held to discuss some simple do’s & don’t, the time to be back for lunch, as well as to share the latest reports from the river and where the fish have been biting.

Around 8:30 AM the Bigs & Littles will begin to arrive. Introductions are made and “matches” are arranged with our volunteers.

Volunteers help their “Littles” pick up donated rods, reels and tackle that is on hand for them to keep.

Boats are launched with assistance from non-boating ARM volunteers.

ARM volunteers are off and fishing with their “matches” until lunch, which is provided for all in attendance at an ARM event.

We are just now starting to hear back from Big Brothers & Big Sisters from MN and WI and we look like we’ll have over 40 “matches” in attendance this season!

So we need your help. We need boaters to cover all 40 matches. We need non-boaters to help on shore launching boats and cooking lunch. We could also use some extra rods and reels for donations to these youngsters…. check in your garage and attic for working outfits you don’t use any longer and bring them to the event.

For those interested in volunteering a day to this wonderful cause, please reply here to this post so we can get a count going. Or you can call me personally at 507-271-0362. We need boaters primarily but anyone that can help in ANY capacity will be greatly appreciated.

So, who’s in?!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m in…. count me boater #1.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

James,
    Let me see if I can get out of work. If so, I will be there. Send you a PM tommorow.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Cool. That makes me number 3. Hope to be down there on thursday night for pre event planning.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Jeff and Mary Harcey phoned in as boat # 4.

Mike W. – the pre-event planning is the best part… lol

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

# 5

I’ll be there but I wanted to be number 1!

jhalfen

James: when does the fishing day end? Mid-afternoon?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yup…. 3 – 4 PM at the very latest.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

# 6

I’ll be there as a boater.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Looks like I’m LUCKY 7!!!!!

riverfan
    MN

Straight 8, count me in

John

redneck
    Rosemount

I guess I am nifty nine. The boy will be there for shore duty, jig tying or whatever.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

I’ll be there biut I don’t have a boat.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

# 15

I will be there with my oldest grandaughter [13 years old]. If there are enough boaters we will take pics on the water for publicity [pics to be posted after being oked by main office of BB/BS] like last year. If needed we can take a big/little fishing.

Thanks, Bill

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Vandy’s # 11

You can count me in I’ll be there with the boat..

I have five days in a row off.

Mike is coming along to help launch boats and hang out and help.

jbb
    Minneapolis area

I’ll be there with my walleye pointers.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

# 13

Wouldnt miss it!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

# 14

I`ll see if I can get my schedule clear it should work out. I`ll be a boater, I will need to find a youth life jacket.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I just wanted to thank everyone already, but we do have a few family matches this year so we will need 3 or 4 bigger boats, ones that will hold a couple plus a little. also I hopefully will get the ol tri hull running her in the next couple of weeks and get it out and have a good test run. so I may have my boat with me, if not, i can get a 16′ aluminum boat to take a match out.

shane

thflounder
    Plainfield, IL

Like last year I would like to help out, but I have no boat. I am willing to entertian any offers for an extra seat to help with the littles, if there are any extra seats. Otherwise I can help with the on shore prep for lunch, docking, etc. I had a great time last year and I have been planning on helping out, even taking the day off 6 months in advance to make sure I can be there to support the kids.

For those of you that are thinking about helping but don’t know if you can make time, make the time. You are helping out kids that need a good influence, and the kids are great. The littles that were there last year were some of the most well behaved kids. They don’t want to be put on the big fish as much as they just want to catch something, sheepy, bass, carp, rock bass, walleye. Whatever you can do to get out of work, do it the kids will feel great and so will you.

Matt Budny

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Matt

We definitely can use you on shore duty. Thanks for your help!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Steve Erickson called in as boater #16.

Thanks to all that have volunteered so far. We’re going to need quite a few more boaters so if you’re waiting to see if you might be needed…. you’re needed!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Matt, You are welcome in my boat. I promise I won’t run us up on any sandbars this year! If they need you on-shore that’s fine also. Let me know.

thflounder
    Plainfield, IL

I will do what I am needed to do James. SteveO I had a great time with you last year and I didn’t know if you were comming this year so I will join you if I am not needed elsewhere. I know that the river is is low up in St. Paul so we might have the sand bar again this year, maybe we will stick to the dam???

brent07
    Preston, MN

My dad and myself are in. Just got off the phone with the old guy. Is not a member on the site but is more than willing to do it. That is two more boats to count in.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Brent

You have my thanks sir! Tha makes you and your dad boats 17 & 18! We’re moving right along but we need more guys to step up like you and your dad just did.

Quote:

My dad and myself are in. Just got off the phone with the old guy. Is not a member on the site but is more than willing to do it. That is two more boats to count in.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

John from Chippewa just called in as a boater for #19.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks Dean…. and thanks John!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.