Winona Miss River Fishing Help Needed

• captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I’m taking an old high school friend with Parkinson disease out fishing. He lives in Winona. Any advice as to where to launch and fish, techniques appreciated. My wife is down there now for a horse show and said some boats are fishing by Prairie Island Park. Is that normally a good spot? A day out on the water is good,…getting some fish for him would be a nice bonus. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Buzzbait
    Winona Mn 55987

Yeah there is some decent fishing around Prairie Island. If you are going to be fishing with live bait there are always plenty of people catching fish right by the landing around the spillway. If you put in and go towards the interstate bridge on the right you will see some barges and there is a decent sized backwater area with plenty of bass and northern. I will usually fish back there with buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and plastics. Let me know if you need anymore help. I am sure there are a few other guys with more knowledge of the river that can help also. Good luck.

tbird171
    Winona, MN

The Prairie Island spillway landing is a good launch pad, but I generally avoid fishing the area directly due to traffic this time of year (fishing and pleasure crafts). There’s some good trolling area just above the interstate bridge along the rocks on the MN side if it’s your cup of tea and it’s only a 5 minute run down stream from the landing. If you’re tossing plastics, I’d suggest the 2nd channel on the WI side between the old train bridge and old wagon bridge that spans the 2nd channel, and find the entrance to the harbor, it’s a nice backwater getaway with plenty of depth aroun the boathouses as well as grass flats. If worms/leaches are your plan, the water flow is is slowing down enough to park on a wing dam.

The bite isn’t all that great, there’s been too much change in flow/depth. Good Luck!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Thanks everyone for sharing their tips. My friend ended up not being up for fishing. I did check out the landings,…sounds like walleyes were biting by the dam but most were sub legal. Was fun checking out a new area.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.