idling along but you were dangerous.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Why was it dangerous? Just curious?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Those Rangerettes can be speed demons.

ripper

Why was it dangerous? The guy is idling and two boats fly by him under full power, barely a boat length away? Not much room for error if the idling fellow had made a quick turn. Or if he was fishing, someone was in the water, etc.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’m not doubting the post, I just know that sometimes things are embellished a bit. That’s all. I’m sure they blew by him, but there were hundreds of boats out this weekend watching the air show, so everyone was out of the wood work….could’ve been anybody.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Quote:

Why was it dangerous? Just curious?

COULD IT BE THAT ANY WAVE COULD GET YOU GUYS TO VER OFF COURSE THIS FAR?? IT’S HARD TO GET A BOAT TO TURN WHEN IT’S IN THE AIR AND THIS WEEKEND WAS CRAZY ON THAT PORTION OF THE RIVER WITH AIRFEST GOING ON, ALOT OF FULL BORE WITHIN 20 FT OF SOMEONE ELSE AND ALL SIZES OF BOATS DOING IT,I SPENT IT IN THE POONTOON AND IT WAS VERY NERVE RACKING, ANYONE CAN BUY A BOAT OR PWC AND GO FULL BORE WITH NO CONCERN FOR ANYONE ELSE BUT THEMSELVES BUT THAT IS THE TIME WE LIVE IN, NO CONCERN FOR ANYONE ELSE BUT THEMSELVES.MY 70YR OLD PARENTS SAID GET ME THE HELL OFF THIS RIVER, THAT WAS NICE!!! PEOPLE DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT NO-WAKE MEANS.IT MIGHT BE TIME FOR A BOAT DRIVER LICENSE OR AT LEAST A BOATING SAFETY CERT. MY VOTE WOULD BE YES TO THIS.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I have a boater’s safety cert. and practice good boating skills…..

I just hate being grouped w/the bad apples because I own a bass boat

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I just hate being grouped w/the bad apples because I own a bass boat

You shouldn’t have bought a Ranger.

Just kidding Slop.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

ALOT OF FULL BORE WITHIN 20 FT OF SOMEONE ELSE AND ALL SIZES OF BOATS DOING IT,

I DIDN’T LUMP YOU IN WITH ALL THE IDOITS OUT THIS WEEKEND AND THERE ARE ALOT OF GOOD BOATERS OUT THERE, THE REASON HE SAID BASS FISHERMEN WAS PROB. THOSE WERE THE KIND OF BOATS THAT FLEW BY THEM. AND I’M SURE HE WAS OFF THE RIVER BEFORE THE HELL BROKE LOOSE WITH ALL THE TYPES OF WATERCRAFT, I LOVE ALL THE BIG CRUSIERS THAT THINK MY BOAT IS BIGGER THAN YOURS AND GET THE HECK OUT OF THE WAY, (RODNEY DANGERFIELD IN CADDIESHACK).GLAD I DON’T FILL THEIR TANKS.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Happy Birthday old man Blue! In no time you’ll be in the OF’s club….

You should have seen the @@#@#$ BASS boats on the Croix this weekend! A BASSHOLE in every shape and color…One stands out…must have been a 50 footer…blew right through a congested no wake zone! I counted 5 of them cigar shaped bass boats…not only are they loud but they were racing between Afton and Hudson. I couldn’t clock them…but I’m guessing faster than 70 mph.

All them Bass fisherman are outlaws.

Point is that there are good stewards of the waterways and bad stewards. I wish it was just bass fisherman…but they come in every shape and size. The more crowded the waterways…the bigger the percentage of ….whether or not they come packaged in a Ranger.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I guess the best way to get it off your chest would be to take it up with the drivers of the boat. Frankly, all the talk about how stupid BASS fishermen are with their boats is getting sickening. I for one respect fellow boaters, but if others choose not to…then I suggest letting them hear about it or it will never change.

Just an idea…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just for clarification…I was refering to cigar boats, cruisers and just plain ol weekend boaters…trying to point out it’s not just you smelly bass people.

B.C. that is the best solution…however, I can’t catch them!

PS…I would say…in my experiance the fisherman…this includes bass folks aren’t the problem on the Croix. I can’t speak for else where.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Bass guys……..

The sterotype problem here lies in the “justification” that many bass boat drivers give for “not backing off throttle, due to loss of being on plane”.

I have heard complaints about and I have heard excuses from many “bass boat” owners.

I think it would be beneficial and healthy to discuss these events at your “bass meetings”.

I also recommend that if this happens again, to get the numbers off the boat and report them to the sherrif.

Not all bass boat owners are bad drivers, and I’m not implying that here.

However there are a “few” bad apples, along with some of the jet ski owners, cruiser owners, and speed boat owners that wreak havoc every summer.

So, instead of defending the driver for his wreckless behavior…..Take a stand and protect your interest in trying to eliminate bad driving.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

You know, I see alot of Walleye guys bombing in and around boats also. How come no issues there? Lets call these guys what they are: inconsiderate jerks. Please don’t lump all of us good bass guys in with them. Yes, there are such things as good bass guys…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Yes, there are such things as good bass guys…

Tell me it’s not so!…

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Tell me it’s not so!…

Well according to my mom anyways… At least I hope so.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

This type of behavior IS discused at every tournament that I fish! Just because 2 guys with dads money are idiots doesn’t mean we need to groups the rest of us in. Nothing pisses me off more than boaters not respecting the water. But bon’t point fingers. I have seen plenty of Lunds, and runabouts pull the same crap. I understand that you had an ugly experience yesterday. Un fortunatly it was bass boats this time. And because were fast and some times loud we will continue to get a bad rap! I would love to know who they were so we could all hang them by there toes!

This is another issue that proves my favorite line.

“You don’t need to be smart to own a boat.” Because most arent.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Quote:

I also recommend that if this happens again, to get the numbers off the boat and report them to the sherrif.

PRETTY TOUGH TO GET THE NUMBERS OF SOMEONE GOING THAT FAST.

PAINT GUNS WOULD HELP.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Lets have an open season for stupid people! Nothing deadly. Just painful!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Running no-wake zones is wrong and shame on them. They will get caught but they probably won’t care.
    Running by other boats too close is also bad and shame on them too. I’ve had tin boat fisherman do it to me every single time I’m out. You don’t hear me complaining. Is there some kind of double standard around here I’m missing? The last time I was on 7 I had it happen all over the place. Go-devils running through all the weeds stirring everything to heck. Wheres the complaint forms? I could scream about pool4 this weekend too. Cruisers all over. The channel was like Leech with 30 mile an hour winds. But we all have the right to use the river and we need to deal with it. Just because a person has a small boat doesn’t mean they own the backwaters, or just because you don’t know how to “run” an area doesn’t make it a no-wake zone.
    On the other hand I do believe in and practice respecting everyone by setting the boat down and at the least slowing down when passing in quiet areas. It chapped my this weekend when I took the time to setdown for someone and still got the look and smart remarks.
    So to us “bass” guys, we will always be picked on for this behavior, even if its only 5% pissing off everyone.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Lunds and runabouts typically aren’t in the backwaters, and people more or less expect to get tossed around a little bit in the main channel.

That’s why it always seems like the bass fishermen getting a bad rap.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Quote:
    ——————————————————————————–

Quote:

Tell me it’s not so!…

Don’t worry Steve! I’ll get you converted to fish with teeth!!!!!!

treed

I, for one, would like to find a cure for this behavior. How do we as group push for: larger boat numbers (so they are easier to get), more enforcement patrols, mandatory education and licensing etc. I don’t see any possibility for change without these and more. I have been nearly swamped in the wake of all styles of boats, not just bass boats. It’s a BOATING problem.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tell me it’s not so!…

Don’t worry Steve! I’ll get you converted to fish with teeth!!!!!!

How do you lip them to get the hooks out? That’s what bothers me!!!

2Fishy4U

I still think Cabin Cruisers are the worst, and clearly the least educated. As for widespread boating problems, it would help to know what Pools people are referring to. Fishing out of Alma, Fountain City, Winona and Trempleau, I don’t see a major problem, albeit every now and then I almost get swamped in my 14 foot Jon Boat. I suspect Red Wing, the St. Croix, and other ares north are worst.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

The answer is common sense and curtisey, plain and simple.
    My Bass / multi species 135 hp on plain will throw less wake than your 14′ with a 40 horse. Because it’s a Ranger I’ll be lumped into the “bass bad boy crowd”. So be it.
    Why is it no body complains about the inconsiderate walleye guy’s?
    I just blow this off as it seems alot of people are envious of the fiberglass boats.
    The poster could just as well said “a boat passed to close”
    but he had to make it a bass boat.
    Point is ALL anglers have it in them to be bad boaters, not just bass guy’s.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Quote:

You know, I see alot of Walleye guys bombing in and around boats also. How come no issues there? Lets call these guys what they are: inconsiderate jerks. Please don’t lump all of us good bass guys in with them. Yes, there are such things as good bass guys…

I agree whole hardily with this. But those cruisers are the wicked ones to watch out for. They are more dangerous than anything going out there. But they do stay in the main channel. Where as the rest of us go in the back waters. I do respect others or I try to at least. But this goes on all the time and always will as long as motors keep getting bigger.
    Not just bass or walleye guys. Can be anyone with a big boat and motor.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I got flamed for this same type of thread awhile ago. I don’t voice my complaints on here anymore so as not to ruffle any feathers. I have taken to using my camera. If I ever manage to get a pic that shows hull numbers I plan on printing it and giving a copy to the sherif AND the warden AND dropping a copy off at the DNR office.
    I also chased down an inconsiderate tuna boat this past weekend and “discussed” his lack of common courtesy and respect for others.
    I have often said…the only requirement to buy/own a boat is money.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I also chased down an inconsiderate tuna boat this past weekend and “discussed” his lack of common courtesy and respect for others.

What did he have to say?

BomberA

It’s just common sense that everyone in a bass boat is an egotistical jerk and everyone else is an angel who owns the water. Case in point. This weekend my club had a tournament up on Long Lake near Serona, WI. With the great weather the lake was packed all weekend with boaters/fishermen. I went up Sat to poke around and maybe saw 2 other bass boats on the whole lake among probably 30 pontoons including two idiots racing pontoons around and weaving in between people fishing. Then there were probably 15 jetskiers whipping around all day on every part of the lake making wake and then jumping it. Also, there were some bigger cruisers out lolly gagging around just cruising the shoreline at half throttle (you can imagine the wake that will throw) After all this I go into a bar/grill on the lake Sat night to get an adult beverage and a meal. Normally this place let’s us use their dock to weigh in so I eat their eveytime I’m in the area to show my support. However, due to complaints about the bass tourneys on the lake we were not allowed to dock there the following day for our tournament. I also got to enjoy listening to people sitting at the bar complaining about bass tournaments in general. No big deal we would just use the “public landing” Well Sunday morning rolls around and we have 6 boats. That’s right 6 bass boats would be on the over 3,000 acre lake for 8 hours. So 2 o’clock comes and since there is no where to beach our boats we load them up and do a quick weigh-in. The whole time all the yuppy ski boaters and pontooners are also loading/unloading at the ramp all the while giving us dirty looks and finally some a-hole comes over and asks if we have a permit to tie up the whole ramp for this. I think he was just upset because he didn’t know how to back up a trialer. The whole ramp, give me a break. Again we had 6 boats total and we were not in anyone’s way. I’m sure most of us have seen how long it takes a tournament or regular fisherman to load a boat compared to those who launch their 25′ cruise 5 times a year plus no one was there when we were loading. Sorry for the long confusing rant, but I am sick and tired of being spat upon for enjoying the sport that I love. For some reason bass boats will always stand out to people, maybe it’s time I take to rigging up a jet-ski for tournament fishing so I won’t be stereotyped by the precious “lake front owners” club as a bass hole. There, I’m done. See ya on the water.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.