Devils lake North Dakota

• bekay
    Nebraska

We are planning on a fishing trip to Devils Lake this August, middle August. We have never been there. Can anyone give us advice on best place to stay with our Rv,(scenic, with bait and groceries, and water and dump)we are going to be pulling our boat behind Rv, so want to stay on pavement pulling in to camp. Also can anyone give us advice on fishing Devils lake. And any close places with fun things to do. Also any state laws about pulling RV and boat on length. Closet place to get fishing and state park permits. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

nubbinbuck

I can’t help you out with a location. However, a bit of advise. If you are actually in Devils Lake shopping, etc. PLEASE be careful with valuables. There was a rash of breakins during the duck season this last fall, from what I hear.

bekay
    Nebraska

You must have to be a guy to get any help here. Have to tell my husband to join.

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Here is some information that you can start with.

Devils Lake Chamber of Commerce & Devils Lake Tourism
    Highway 2 East
    PO Box 879
    Devils Lake, ND 58301
    Chamber @ (701) 662-4903
    Tourism @ (800) 233-8048
    Email: [email protected]

Sorry I can’t help anymore,I just hate to give advise to someone when I haven’t fished it that much to begin with. I have heard that fishing can be very good at times, hope this helps you out. PS Hae a great trip

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

campingal,

I don’t know much about Devils in August, or anytime for that matter. I was just there last weekend. We stayed at Eastbay campground. It was nice enough for us. However it is 8 miles off the the pavement so I’m not sure it will work for you. I would check out the Grahams Island state park or Woodland resort. I’ve heard both are very nice places. There is a huge tourney up there this week, so I’m sure the tight lips about fishing will be loosened by next week. Shoot me a pm to discuss fishing more.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Campingal,

I have not been to Devils Lake, but the trip sounds very nice, (RV pulling boat). I do know you can get a bit of info from the area web page

dave

jonathan
    NW MN

I’ve stayed pretty much everywhere in and around Devils Lake, by far my favorite is the the state park. Graham’s Island is the name of it. I’m not positive that it is blacktopped all the way to the park or not. As far as fishing advice goes, contact walleye pro Johnie Candle. He guides on DL when he’s not tournament fishing, and is always willing to help out with tips and advice. Sorry I don’t remember the name of his guide service, but I’m sure the Chamber of Commerce could help you out. Good luck and have fun.

bekay
    Nebraska

Thanks all i check out the info. I gather its not anyones favorite place to fish.

jonathan
    NW MN

I love fishing DL, but I live so close to Lake of the Woods, it’s hard to find the time to get over there as often as I would like. You won’t regret the trip.

bigstick
    WEST CENTRAL MN

LOT’S OF FISH LOT’S OF NICE PLACES TO STAY WOODLAND NICEST PRIVATE RESORT ON THE LAKE GRAHAMS ISLAND STATE PARK RV HOOKUPS VERY NICE ACCESS FISH CLEANING, BAIT,ICE,LICENCES, ALL YOU WILL NEED.GRAHAMS ISLAND PHONE #701-766-4015 FISH THE TREES SLIPBOBBERS JIG YOU CAN FISH 2 LINES LOTS OF WALLEYE LOTS OF BIG PIKE LOTS OF FUN GREAT LAKE.JON

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It’s hard to say I have a favorite place to fish, I love fishing everywhere/anywhere I can. I had a blast up there last weekend!!! I’ve never fished in trees like this before. It was a hoot!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Hi Campingal,
    DL is a great place to fish. You do need to be a little careful while running around out there….since the lake has grown so much a lot of where you are fishing would have been dry land not too many years ago. There are a fair number of deadhead even out in the middle of no where so take it a little easy when running until you have made a pass or 2 through an area.
    Fishing the lake is not really a secret….bobber fish with leeches or whole or part of a crawler in the standing timber or cast crank baits like shad raps. I am not talking the edge of the trees either…get back in there.
    2 summers ago I fished the co-angler side of the RCL up there and one of the boaters actually kept track of time going deep into the cover so he knew we would have time to get back out.
    I would suggest picking a stretch of timber and just start casting cranks if you find walleyes tie up to a tree and pitch out some bobbers in that spot.

It is a fun lake with lots of nice walleyes and big pike.

You also have a PM.
    JB

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.