fishing Minnesota

• bekay
    Nebraska

We havent fished Minnesota yet, Can anyone tell me if we wanted to get away for a quick weekend, somewhere close to the corner of nebraska that is a good fishing place and scenic. Like to fish , but also would like a nice place also. We have a RV so we would be using it and pulling our boat. So would rather stay on pavement. Thank You.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Campingal, did you want to fish MN or a corner of NE. If so, which corner of NE?

Wallmart parkng lots make a good RV parking spot…(no kidding, they don’t charge either!)

bekay
    Nebraska

Briank never thought of walmart parking lot being scenic or a good place to fish , but ill have to try that. We are looking in the corner of minnesota.Is there any where there that is worth the trip. It is a ways for us to the border so was wondering if there was anything close around there in minnnesota that was worth the trip.Thanks

david_scott
    Twin Cities

About the only thing I can think of in the southwest part of the state is LacQuiParle(sp? its close).. There is a couple other lakes down that way like lake Shetek… look at a map and for state parks. Usually if their is a state park, there is at least some scenery around. That is the prairie region of the state.. something you have no shortage of in Nebraska.

The Minnesota River can provide some decent fishing and has some enjoyable scenery around the Granite Falls area. As I stated earlier.. that is all prairie region, if you want to do much more than watch the corn grow, you may want to plan on coming further into the state.

bekay
    Nebraska

What would be the closest place that would be worth the time to drive up to Fisher dave.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

What kinda fish you looking to catch? I live in the SE part of the state & I might be able to help ya out if your looking in this area, Good Fishin DOUG P.S. We don’t have alot of lake here, A few, Got some rivers to fish, The Mississippi river can be awsome fishing,

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Campingal, I would suggest that you take a little extra drive time and head up to the Ottertail County area. It’s about a five hour drive from Sioux City via I29. There’s a ton of lakes in the county and nearby. Try Pelican Lake in Grant County, just south of Ottertail. Ashby resort has a nice area for campers, the fishing is decent, and Bird Island is pretty cool if you’ve never been there before. Try http://www.ottertailcountry.com for info. If you want tips on good places to eat, give me a holler.

If you really don’t want to drive that far I would suggest a trip to the Iowa Great Lakes (Okoboji/Spirit Lake Iowa). There are several nice campgrounds and the fishing is excellent in June. Ryan Hale and I have put some good info together on THIS PAGE.

Good luck and have fun!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

At Wallmart the fishing stinks…but the prices are low!

I think I would have to agree with everyone here, the SW corner isn’t where you want to go for what we would call good fishing.

SE You have outstanding trout fishing and the Mississippi River that can alway surprise you as to what or the size of fish that you catch.

A little better than half way up the state is where the lakes start. Wade from Jolly Ann gave you some dandy advice.

In my opinion, I would come up to Whitewater State Park or the Mississippi around Redwing…For lake fishing Pelican is great..but there are 10,000. more (all about the same distance for you )

Just make sure there’s a Wallmart close by!

bekay
    Nebraska

Thanks all i made some notes on your comments, anyone else have ideas im open to suggestion. Of course we like walleyes, and crappies. Havent ate alot of other kinds. Dont really care for pike , fun to catch but like to eat some of what we catch, and i really dont care for pike. Being from nebraska we have fished alot for crappie, we are so-so wallleye fisherman we are learning. Always welcome help. We have owned a boat most the years we have been married so have always fished just havent always had the money or the time to fish. Again THanks

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We just returned from Upper Red Lake and Roger’s Campground. It was beautiful! SHotley Creek runs through the camp, so you can park your boat next to your beautiful campsite! We caught fish on every cast from shore by the campsite! Unfortunately, they were mostly walleye which have to be thrown back. I will be posting a report here shortly. Oh yeah, crappies….BIG crappies!
    If you have any questions, plese send me a private email.
    Tuck

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.