Can you re-texture drywall?

• Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

So the house we’re buying has a texture on the walls that is not what we want. Just wondering how difficult and expensive it is to sand and re-texture? If anyone has any idea please let me know. Also wondering if there is any special sander to use that collects the dust, since I’m sure this process is pretty messy. Thanks!

Matt

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I think you’d spend a month sanding. I think you would want to scrape it off.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

You can get electric sanders that hook up to shop vacs but still makes a mess. To sand all the walls will be very time consuming and very expensive if hired out because of how long it would take.

g38
    South metro

Depending on how “textured” your wall is, you may be able to re-texture. There are nylon rollers much like paint rollers that have a very heavy nap, which you can use with drywall “mud” or joint compound to create texture. Or, you can use a trowel and spread the same stuff in a smoother pattern.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

You can also hire a plasterer to come in and put a veneer over the texture. You could make it smooth or put on any texture you want. Not super cheap, but the best route to really good looking walls. You could find a veneer plaster contractor at the MN Lath and Plaster Bureau website.

Jira

Skim coat! Any tapers out there?

jroe
    iowa

What are you trying a accomplish, more texture or less? Also what type of finish is on the walls now? I have done this type of work for 20+ years,give me more info and I should be able to help you out.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

the best person to ask would be Nate Cadewell. shoot him a PM and he would be able to help you the best. he is a drywall guy.

shane

hntnful
    Everly Iowa

I also have don this for many years. More info would be helpful. The best way I have found to sand it is with the Porter Cable disc sander that attaches to a shop vac. On new construction I can sand whole house in a long day. An orbital palm sander also works wonders’ but this is a lot more messy.Both of these work great if it is accoustic texture. The biggest problem with sanding is getting through the paint.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Thanks fellas. I’m trying to get rid of the “drip” texture that is currently on the walls. I’m not sure how to describe it any better than that. This type of thing usually doesn’t bother me but this is some pretty ugly texture we’re dealing with. It looks like someone layed it on thick and let it run a little. We’re moving in a month, I’ll probably try to get a few pictures and post them after we move in.

G-Night

Matt

danwi
    westby wi

If it’s that bad you may be better off tearing the walls downs and hire a drywall company to hang new and finish. It would be alot less labor involved.There is really not a good way to sand off any thing that has paint on it. New walls would be cheaper and faster. This way you can also look at your insulation move or add any elec.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.