Need a bit of help in preparing for my Canada trip

• asdfasdf

The last time I was in Northern Manitoba was about this time in 1993. Obviously quite a bit has changed since then. But what do I need to have with myself to prepare for crossing the border. I have a clean record because I have heard that if you have a DUI on your record it is quite a ordeal to cross the border. Beyond that is their anything I should have on hand. Also, just wondering if their is anything I should bring with that you normally wouldnt think with for a trip like this. Just wondering as I’m sure we have quite a few folks on the forums who annually cross the border?

Thanks in advance, Mike

jboecker
    Illinois

Mike- I’m going up to Ontario this Friday and I’m bringing my birth-certificate with just in case. My drivers license has been good enough the last few times I went but that was pre-9/11.

Other than that bring plenty of Advil for the sore muscles from all the fish you are going to catch!!!!!

Good luck and have a safe trip!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Bring driver’s license and birth certificate.

You need this more for coming back into the US than you need it for Canada.

It is actually harder at times to come into the US than it is going into Canada.

hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

Wish I could help but I havent made the trek since around 1995-96. More curious as to where you are going I guess because I’m starting to plan another trip for next year. We used to make the annual trip to Kississing Lake in NW Manitoba a coupe hours north of Flin Flon. Great lake but we stopped going due to pollution from an abandon mine basically killed off the eastern half of the lake. I hear its been cleaned up somewhat but it sure used to be a pretty disturbing site to see.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Don’t over pack! Many guys I bring up there bring everything, PLUS the kitchen sink! If it is a fly-in, charges add up in a hurry! Go light,and pack t-shirts, and fewer sweats. Change the t-shirts, and recycle the sweats! Don’t bring the whole tackle box either! Redundant jigs and weights add more weight. I make up Plano boxes with lures I plan to use for pike and walleye. I would even make some leaders out of cable, and swivels.
    Tuck

gary_wellman
    South Metro

10 spoons, a 50 jigs and a bunch of ringworms/k-grubs, and a plano tray of cranks is all a guy needs.

Make sure you pack aspiran, Tylonol Flu, Pepto, Rolaids, bandaids, ointment, suntan lotion, chap stick.

BomberA

I’m taking off Friday too

What are the rules regarding bringing nightcrawlers across the border. I’m gonna stick with ringworms but the Grandfather-in-Law wants some live bait. Hopefully, I can convert him by the end of the trip.

mikem
    SE Minnesota

They usually ask about live bait,I’ve never brought any.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

no problem bringing crawlers, just make sure they are in bedding and not dirt. If you purchase a worm bedding kit, you are good to go.

Just don’t bring them accros the border in dirt. Canada doesn’t like our dirt…….

BomberA

What about hockey sticks, eh?

Suckerminnow
    Stillwater, MN

Crossing is pretty simple. The key to avoiding a search is to be HONEST and look the crossing guard in the eyes – without attitude. Look relaxed. You have to build their trust or they will order a search. No nightcrawlers in dirt – bedding only. No minnows. No potatos. 1 case of beer or one bottle of booze per person. There are limits on how many smokes but I just smoke cubans. Leave the guns at home if you don’t need them. Bring DL, passport or birth cert. The US search every X number of cars so I wish you luck there – no avoiding it if you are chosen.

Suckaminnow

Murf
    West Central WI

They made us dump 1000 night crawlers . We had them in organic bedding purchased and made here in WI. After they made us go back into US and dump crawlers, we purchased the new night crawlers in Ignace. They were actually cheaper than in US. But what really got me was after I purchased the night crawlers I asked them where there worm bedding was. I went to the shelf he pointed to, and there were 20 bags of the same exact bedding made in Wi that we just dumped out 2 hours earlier…… …You ever try to reach the queen on a cell phone on a weekend in Canada???… Not an easy task.
    Good luck on your Canada trip and be safe…We have been crossing for 25 years and all we have ever needed is our drivers license. But there is always a first… …Murf

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Mike,

My best shield lake walleye tactic, from May through the summer, is trolling nightcrawler spinner rigs behind bottom bouncers. I tried this with Gulp! crawlers last year and they worked just as well, actually better because I didn’t have to change them all the time! So bring some bouncers and spinner rigs with your Rapalas and jigs and I think you’ll be all set for eyes!!

John

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

John23 is right. It’s tough to beat trolling a spinner behind a bottom bouncer. Minnows, crawlers and leeches all work well. I’ve had my best luck with a hammered silver or gold spinner with a red hook. Jigging and trolling cranks are a close second.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.