Idea for the DNR

• jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I would say that 1 out of 4 times i go fishing in the metro area I witness poachers taking illegal fish, although I’m sure the problem is more widespread than just the cities. ie: last night fishing the Mississippi river at Rice Creek in Fridley….two morons keeping 1/2 lb-1lb Smallmouth Bass..last week people keeping Walleyes from Pool 2.
    Anyway, with there being a not nearly enough DNR officers to effectively cover the entire state, I propose this:
    Howabout they set up a course for your average concerned fisherman to take to basically become a volunteer deputy of sorts, giving you the right to ticket offenders when violations are witnessed. I think this would cut down on the practice of taking illegal fish substantially, considering the fact that any old average Joefisherman might be working undercover for the man, ready to bust your dumb poacher butt for being an idiot. I would definitely sign up in a second to do this as I would assume many others. Although they would obviously have to do some sort of screening before any training to prevent “wannabe john law loose cannon abuse your authority types” from joining the ranks.
    Anyone else think this could work/not work?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I use to fish there many times as a youth. That area is bad for poachers. We use to call TIP but they never show up and we then would dump thier pails of fish back into the creek.

GEMEYEGUY

Well every spring we see the debate about which lures or what size jigs are and aren’t legal before walleye/northern opener.
    We’ve seen our share of the “holier-than-thou” posts thinly disguised as “more-ethical-than-thou” sportsman.
    I think peer policing may be a recipe for outdoorsmen scenes of the Jerry Springer show variety.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Shrump,

Excellent post!

I agree with you but other than calling TIP there isn’t much a person can do. I witnessed a man approx. 65 years old last year fishing from the bank at Dubuque catching and keeping 12″ to 14″ walleyes. Everytime he would catch one he would look around to see if anyone was watching and lift the cover on a 5 gallon bucket and slip the fish in the bucket. I know I saw him catch well over a limit of fish and they were all short and he kept every one of them. When I figured out what he was doing I pulled the boat in close to shore and asked him if the fish he was catching were at least 15 inches long. He held his hand up to his ear like he was having trouble hearing me and I never got an answer from him. He left soon after I tried to talk to him about it.

Even if you call TIP you would have to have some sort of damning evidence in a case like this because it is your word against the poacher’s word unless he is caught by the DNR. It is much easier to call TIP if the poacher is in a boat. Then you can give the DNR a boat registration number and they can be waiting for them at the boat ramp. Even then there are so few DNR officers that getting a quick response to a TIP call is difficult.

I often wonder how many illegal walleyes are kept every year just in a single pool. I think the answer has to be that we have to educate people when they are young to respect the laws. We also have a protected slot limit down here on Pools 12, 13 & 14 and I know there were many people dead set against it. I wonder how many of these people are still keeping the fish between 20″ and 27″ just out of spite.

There is a real shortage of DNR officers here in Iowa. I spend hundreds of hours on the water every year and I was not checked once last year. Most years I get checked at least a couple times either by Iowa, Illinois or Wisconsin officers but they are spread so thin that it is easy for the poachers to fall through the cracks.

Eyehunter

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

carry your digital camera, snap a photo including their vehicle. If questioned as to what you are doing just answer that they are poaching and you are mailing in the evidence to the DNR.
    Will the DNR do anything? Probly not, but it should scare the guy a little bit.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

There ya go, Start a website and post the pics..

jimmykroe
    Bay City, WI

Ever hear of road rage?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Keep in mind that poachers are scum to begin with.
    Common sense goes a long way, if there are 5 poachers and you are alone , yes it may be a bad idea.
    Be safe, but take action. Keep turning the other cheek and soon enough we won’t be able to do anything.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

I vote for a little backwoods justice, we all get to be deputy, judge and jury. Maybe if we plant a big tree by each boat ramp and fishing area hang a box with a pre-tied knot in it, think that would make people think twice? You could either tie them to the tree till the DNR shows up or if the DNR is there hang them from the tree !

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I think that education can end alot of the illegal activity in some ways and in others it gets me soo that I want to be my own judge adn jury. but that don’t show our youngsters that being a true sportsman is to obey the laws that are in place and vote and lobby to get ones that we don’t like changed. just remember, all of our children will watch us and learn from us, so be the best that we can be and they will turn out just fine.

shane

3670wayne
    So. St. Paul

Just a word of caution. If someone has no problem poaching, chances are they are capable of worse offenses. I would try TIP first, then maybe if there is a police officer at the ramp when you are there, give him the information. I see cops at the ramps and parks quite a bit. I am sure he would pass on the info to DNR officials for you on the radio. For that matter, maybe they can do something themselves, but this I am not sure of.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would have to agree the TIP line is the best way…

Don’t need much training to learn how to dial a cell phone. AND you know that if I or anyone else approaches someone that’s KNOWINGLY practicing illegal habits that an altercation will happen…sooner than later, with a doomed out come.

You can do your part right now by using the TIP line.

On the other hand…this has been bothering me for sometime. When someone does something that’s against the law…but doesn’t know it…I don’t know…let’s say keeping a walleye under 15 inches on the Croix or ‘sippi. You bring it to there attention and you can tell they really were’nt aware…would you still call the TIP line…

Ok, Here’s a better example. But I have to put in a disclaimer first….

This is a true story, but the names have been changed to protect the (somewhat) inocent. I cast no judgement on anyone…including the accused. So please don’t think that I am…

A while ago, a (admittedly questionable joke) post was put up by an IDA member. Before it was announce that it was a joke…many TIP calls were made. By reading the original post, one could assume the poster didn’t realize what he had done was against the law.

Should he have been contacted?…by one of us first to find out if he was aware it was against the law?

He broke the law. Doesn’t matter if he knew or not…Call TIP and let him pay the price.

I guess that it does make a differance if you know the person or not. It’s alot easier…to report someone if you don’t know them personally.

I guess I have a double standard. Prior to that post, some lady had her picture in the paper (?) holding a bass that was either out of season or out of the slot(?) caught on Mille Lacs. When she was turned in…I felt bad for her because she caught a fish of her lifetime…only to get it taken away and a ticket in it’s place. She obviouly didn’t have a clue….But it was only a fleeting thought and I didn’t give it much thought.

I spose you could say…Briank, all we have to do is plead ignorence and we could break every fishing/hunting law out there…and get away with it. Maybe I just believe in people too much

I’m asking…what’s your thoughts.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I work part time in a sporting goods in St Paul. I see things every day that lead me to believe that some people just do not care. Education is our main hope to convert some of these people.
    Example #1: Person wants to buy fathead and shiner minnows because he is catching northerns and bass while fishing for crappies. He now wants to use larger minnows to target bigger fish. Do you sell him minnows???
    Example #2: Group of fisherpeople want to get fatheads and shiners. They ask where to go fish walleyes around the area. My question to them was ” Did you buy a license this year?” Answer “Yes”. Next question. “Did you read the rule book?” Answer “No”. Do you sell them minnows?
    This type of behavior is way to widespread.

I grow weary of reading the CO reports in the Outdoor News or any other outdoor paper. There is an increasing number of serious violations. The report in last Sundays St Paul paper was hopefully read by many who do this on a regular basis.

Dino

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Some of you may want to try and do the right thing, yet be completely in the wrong. Best bet is to call the TIP line when in question. But also know the facts. When I was in the Navy stationed in Duluth, MN as a Recruiter I had an experience with Duluth Police and MN Cons. Off. because someone was trying to turn me in for violating. They didn’t know the rules, or the facts. For that matter, niether did the CO or the Police. To make a long story short. They turned me in for hunting in the city limits of Duluth. Police and CO’s both responded only to realize they could not cite me for any violations as I couldn’t have been hunting in the city limits since Duluth is in MN and I was on the WI side of the river(with a WI license as a WI resident. It was alot of wasted time for a Cop, a CO and for me.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Anyone care to post the TIP hotline phone numbers?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

For WI the number is 1-800-TIP-WDNR (847-9367)

herb
    6ft under

Good post Briank. That head of your’s isn’t stuffed with that gosh awfull lutey yet is it!
    Briank brought up a good scenario. I’d have to say that for me personally, I’d look at each situation and then decide whether or not to call TIP.
    I wonder if Jake has any thoughts on the matter?

lawmanjoe

Minnesota is very strict regarding law enforcement powers. Very few people can issue a citation, however, everyone can make a citizen’s arrest for a public offense that occurs in their presense. Thus, if you actually witness a violation you could arrest a person untill law enforcement arrives (if you do this you better be sure there is a violation, if you are wrong you can be sued for false arrest), you then sign a citizen’s arrest form and if the issue goes to trial you are a witness. While, this process is legal I would not reccommend it. (CO’s have one of the most dangerous jobs in law enforcement).

However, you don’t have to call TIP. If you see a violation you can call to law enforcement authority for where you are, generally the sheriff’s office, and tell them you are witnessing a violation and report it. (Cell phones make this much easier.) You could also tell them you are willing to make a citizen’s arrest (essentially telling the dispatcher you will sign the form and testify to the violation in court, not actually physically making an arrest as discussed earlier, this is helpful because police officers generally cannot issue a citation unless they see a violation or have a citizen arrest.) Even if you do not want to make a citizen’s arrest, providing very specific information to the police, including the violation, how you know of the violation (saw them while in a boat 50 ft away, saw them at the landing, watched them with bionaculars etc. . . ) description of the violators, description of the boat or vehicle they left in, and contact info for yourself; can provide police with probable cause to stop and search the violators. If the police are not able to intercept the violator, the information may be pasaed on the a CO who will investigate it. I know of CO’s writing search warrants for cases as simple as a person who shined a deer, I’m sure if you see a gross violation, they will follow up on it, least doing a knock and talk at the violator’s house. Fortuantly, lots of the cops in this state do hunt and fish and know these laws even if that is not their normal assignement (like CO’s) they do have the authority to enforce them and will. Unfortuantly, officer’s often do not call reporting persons back to tell them the results, if you report something and don’t hear back call in later and find out what happened.

To expand on your idea, what I’m suggesting is a “neighborhood watch” for our lakes and rivers!

herb
    6ft under

Good info and welcome to the site.
    I wonder if it works the same in Iowa?

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Herb it does work here in Iowa. I’ve heard it on my police scanner. Where people have turned in hunting violaters to the sheriffs office. I’m sure it would be the same for everything. Also have heard them being given the athority to go to the Wis side of the river at the boat landings for some things.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Lawmanjoe is correct. I was in loss prevention many years ago and thats how we apprehended shoplifters in the store. I never thought about using it against poachers.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Lawmanjoe! Welcome to the site. I’m glad you added

Quote:

While, this process is legal I would not reccommend it.

in your post. THAT would be a good way to get a broken nose!

Having the local sheriff number is a very good idea and having the TIP line for when your not in your backyard fishing is good too.

I’m guessing if you tell the folks on the TIP line that you would be willing to go to court, it would work the same way as talking with a peace officer?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.