??? ON PLASTICS

• sallie

Hope this doesn,t sound like a stupid question. I was told when you put plastics like a twister tail, ringworm, (ect), on a jig the tail should be pointing up when it’s tied on. Does it even make any difference. Thought with all the people that fish with plastics on this site I,d get some answers to my question.
    Thanks

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

There are no stupid questions sal OK maybe a few
    I like to put plastic with a twisted tail on so the tail points down. It will give it more action on the drop. When I am just dragging I will put the tail up. I believe there is no wrong way.
    Good luck fishing.

Murf
    West Central WI

Plastics are one of the few things I do know how to fish well……After 25 years of fishing them with tail up (and with great success I might add )I was informed by one of the major plastics companies that I had been doing it all wrong…..supposed to be down they say. So since then I have put them down. About three years now, and roughly 2000 walleyes later with the tail down, (I fish a great fly out river system in Canada every year) I have not noticed a lick of difference in performance. I believe they are intended to be down but consistently catch fish both ways. I still put mine on down now (Always looking for an edge) ………….Murf

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I see most Pro’s have the tail curl pointing down. and it does catch fish both ways. I think the idea is if the tail is pointing down, it will be less likely to foul on the jig hook during cast or retrieve. Jack..

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I put the tail up when fishing with just a twister tail and the tail down if adding a fathead to the jig. Does it improve the catch? Darned if I know. Just kinda made sense to cover the hook a little.

sallie

Thank’s for the replies. I have caught plenty of fish with the tail up. I also can understand the reasons for doing it different. I’ll change my ways and see what happens. It’s nice when you guys explain your reasons behind a question. That’s what is nice about this site.

THANKS
    sal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.