where to mount gps module

• jig-n-rig
    coon rapids, mn

i am looking for some suggestions on the best location to mount my gps module for my lowrance lms 332. i have a crestliner 1750 sportfish. i also have a raymarine marine band radio mounted on the councel next to the graph. i have heard that the marine radio and gps may have interference and i should mount the gps module 5-6′ away from the radio.any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    erik

jldii

Go to Gander Mountain, and get yourself a portable transducer suction cup and mount your module onto the cup. You can then stick it anywhere you want without having to do any cutting or drilling in your hull. You’ll have to mount the cup onto a plate, and then screw the module onto the plate. I use a piece of plexiglass for a plate. It works great, and you can take both your GPS and module with you when you are done with the boat. No fuss, no muss!

It comes in real handy if you go ice fishing and want to drive right to your fishing spot on the larger lakes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mr. J Rig,

I’ve mounted my x-19 modual right next to my marine radio. No problems…HOWEVER, I really wish I would have asked here first. Someone just used velcaro to hold their gps antenna on…and that would have worked for me!

Just keep it as high and obstruction free as possable.

PS suction cup would work just as well, although a tad more expensive.

Good luck!

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I just bought the same unit, but I to wish I would have asked here first! Drilled the holes and ran some wires. Oh well! I put mine toward the back of the boat on the same side as my console. I have a lund Pro-v! Haven’t got all the power hooked up yet. Hopefully today!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i used velcro, on the gunwale just ahead of the console. works great. i used velcro because i have my unit rigged portable. i use it in my truck, on the atv, and on the snowmobile and of coruse in the boat. the only problem is that the wires are exposed. i fixed that by stuffing them into a fanny pack, and you just pull out as much wire as you need. i use a small “pony” hand clamp and clamp the fanny pack to the side of the windshield…….tom f

jldii

Quote:

Mr. J Rig,

I’ve mounted my x-19 modual right next to my marine radio. No problems…HOWEVER, I really wish I would have asked here first. Someone just used velcaro to hold their gps antenna on…and that would have worked for me!

Just keep it as high and obstruction free as possable.

PS suction cup would work just as well, although a tad more expensive.

Good luck!

A word of caution for you. Lowrance recommends that you keep your radio and graph seperated as much as possible. 2 years ago when the LCX series was first introduced, there were a number of units that fried at the first PWT event from radio use right next to the units. They found out that it is the mic for the radio that causes the LCX’s to burn up. Something about keying the mic next to the unit and electromagnetic fields

Anyway, just an FYI.

Fireball

I Agree with JDLII
    Suction cups or velcro if need be can take the unit out of the boat and use in auto

jhalfen

What power source are you using when you take the unit out of the boat? A vexilar-style sealed battery, I assume??

jldii

I plug my x19 right into the lighter of my truck when I use it as a GPS ice fishing. Buy yourself a spare power feed which has the fuse built into it, and splice it onto a lighter plug which you can get at any NPAA/auto store for about $5. Pop your modual on the dash, or if you want,on the roof with the extension cord, and place your unit on the dash or cup holder. Its better than an Onstar system, at least when you’re talking icefishing anyway!

jhalfen

Thanks for the tip!

jig-n-rig
    coon rapids, mn

are you saying the graph and two radio or the gps module and the two radio. if the graph, don’t most people have their graph and two way radio mounted in the console area of the boat. should i be moving my radio to the passenger side of the boat ?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i have a 12v plug on the end of my unit. plugs into any 12v accessory plug, simple as pie!!!…………tom f

jldii

Quote:

are you saying the graph and two radio or the gps module and the two radio. if the graph, don’t most people have their graph and two way radio mounted in the console area of the boat. should i be moving my radio to the passenger side of the boat ?

The problem is when you key your microphone to speak into it. Don’t do it close to your graph. Hold your mic plenty far away from your graph when you use it. As for the module, I can’t say, but if BrianK is not having any problem with his being on his radio, I would have to guess it would be OK.

Maybe Wade from JollyAnn will see this and add some of his knowledge. Or you could PM him.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.