Question for you Crestliner owners

• dkremer99
    Central City, IA

I bought a 2001 1750 Fishhawk a month ago and it has a Motorguide LazerII 52#’s of thrust on it. This motor just doesn’t seem to have enough umph to it for river fishing. I was wondering what motors others are using that they like. I was thinking of looking at the minn-kota power drive with 80#’s of thrust anyone have an opinion on this motor?

Thanks for your input,

Dan Kremer

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I’ve got the same boat and have a Minn Kota 65 Auto Pilot with a 60″ shaft and feel I have plenty of power fishing rivers. I upgraded from a Minn Kota 55 12 volt which was to small for fishing river current in my opinion.

evileye
    Milan Il

Buy the biggest 24 volt one you can afford, You can always run it on a slower speed. I know a lot of guys like the power drives, but I always felt they were to sensitive for the river I really like a bow mount hand control, but the cable operated one is more popular

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

thanks guys for the input. tony do you mean the pedal is to sensative, because I am having a heck of a time getting use to the pedal on my motor guide and was thinking it was because I have always run a cable drive before.
    Thanks.
    Dan

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I agree with Tony 100%…Go 24 volt young man! I just upgraded to a Minkota 70 PDUS on my 1750 FishHawk…probably shoulda went with the 80!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Dan,
    I agree with Tony fully. I have a cable pull/pull foot control 24V, very simple and no complicated electronic system. internal batteries, elect steering and auto steering can be okay, but the more complicated it is, it is more to screw you up when you need it the most.
    Jack…

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a cable drive motor guide and do not like the foot pedal on it because I have to keep my foot on the pedal all the time to stay in control. I was thinking I would go with the minnkota power drive next time around as you do not have to have your foot on the pedal all the time. For those of you that have the minnkota cable drive do you have to keep your foot on the pedal all the time to keep the boat under control as well?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Steve

There should be an adjustment on the under side of the foot control to tighten it up. I know on the minkota you pull the bottom cover and there is a lock nut you adjust for cable tention. I am sure your motorguide should have some such adjustment also..

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I put the Minn Kota Power Drive(PD/AP/US) 80#(60″ shaft)on my new boat! I am anxious to try it out with the hand held remote control device!

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

Thanks for all the input guys hey eye let me know what you think of your power drive after you use it.
    Thanks,
    Dan Kremer

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.