tobacco

• chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Any good advice to quiting smoking/chewing?
    It’s been a week, and I’m one hurt’n puppy.

Any tips from IDA folks who have been successful would be greatly appreciated. Ya’ll have been great for other advice, maybe this will work too.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Holy crap. Just looked at some google images of lung/lip caner photos . Uhh, maybe it won’t be so hard to quit after all.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Believe it or not i got hyptnotised by a local guy and it worked. A good hyptnotist will work if you follow his directions and relax while hes working with you. No dt’s, nothing at all but comfort

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I took Zyban(Wellbutrin) for two weeks and it took all the cavings away. Other people swear by it too. I didnt give it long enough but have been thinking of trying it again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Jez! I hate posts about anti smoking…trying to quit smoking…And then I go out to my garage last weekend and on the damn radio station…there was a jingle about “the fresh air” in Hennipen and Ramsey Co. Restaurants. Who the he11 paid for those! Are they worried all thier customers are going to start eating outside those two counties!??? The better be…garenteed 20% or MORE lose of sales when you go smoke free!

Quote:

Believe it or not i got hyptnotised by a local guy and it worked

So did I…Easiest thing I ever did…I quit for 2 years…no weight gain…didn’t get anymore crabby than I nomally am….and then…figured I could have a cheap little ceeeegar one day while fishing…had a pac in my pocket ever since.

It’s time to go again…I won’t go in a boat without my life jacket on…but 2-3 pacs a day…no problem…

Have I meantioned I hate this type of post?

Anyone know a good hypnotist…besides Buckshot?

(he had to hypnotise walleye brat… )

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I second the zyban idea. I chewed for 15 years and quit about a year ago on this stuff. I was to much of an a## without the extra help quitting. I have gained some weight, but I will take the trade-off. Check with your insurance company, mine was covered. Best of luck, and hope you get the job done………

jig-n-rig
    coon rapids, mn

i am trying to quit chewing myself. going cold turkey is not for me- been there tried that. i have been chewing copenhagen for 20 years. so my method for the last week is slowing way down. 2 tins a week inplace of 6-7. saving a few dollars along the way.
    put a picture of your family in your vehicle, on the bathroon mirror to remind you why you want to stop-

good luck

danwi
    westby wi

i did the cold turky route and my wife used the patch. What ever works for you but the important thing is your trying. Hang in there it does get better

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I have been trying to quit chewing as well, but the thing is, I usually make ia few months cold turkey then some kind of life changing decision has happened and I get super stressed out and start chewing again. I am slowing down again, 1 tin, 2 weeks, in stead of 3 tins a week, now if i can just make it. I found that putting in a pinch of the beef jerky has helped tremendously.

shane

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I chewed Copenhagen for 30 years. In early February the price at the local gas station went up to $5.60 and I started thinking about all the good stuff I could buy with the money I was wasting on that crap. It worked out to be a very nice new deer rifle every year! And of course i was always concerned about getting sick, every time I got a sore in my mouth it would scare the hell out of me.
    So I threw it away and haven’t touched the stuff since. It’s been about 2 months and so far I’m making it OK. A couple of things I found out: Caffiene and Nicotine cancel each other out. So if you quit using tobacco, then cut way back on the coffee too. I didn’t know about that and it made the first week really tough. I couldn’t sleep and I was really jumpy and nervous. That was because I was OD-ed on coffee. The second thing was that there would be specific times I’d really crave tobacco. For me it’s mainly after lunch. Believe it or not it helps when you know it’s coming. I know I’m going to want a chew right after lunch so I’m not surprised when it happens. And finally you have days where your wife is yelling at you, the kids are acting like idiots, your Boss decides to dump on you, the truck starts making a new noise, and the vet says the dog needs an operation. You get would up and want to reach for the chew. Look at it like a test. It’s only a test. You can make it through THAT DAY. Worry about the next day or the day after that when it comes.

Good luck to all of us. We need to be around to teach our grandkids how to fish.

Rootski

wibucksniper
    Evansville , WI

I chewed 2 cans of cope a day for about 11 years. It’s now been 10 months with out it. I quit cold turkey. The only thing I did was chew sunflower seeds. good luck
    Jeff

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I quit a three pack a day habit “cold turkey” on October 14, 1978. Best thing I ever did for my health and well being!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I did the gum. I started with the 4 mg and then the 2 mg and then just chewing gum. Before I quit chewing I switched to a cheap crappy brand and then I did the gum. It worked great for 1 1/2 years then my brother-in-law bummed me a copenhagen pouch. BOOM! Hooked again. I didn’t go back to the cope. I’m chewing grizzly which is half the price and I’m buying the gum again soon. Good Luck!

dd

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Quote:

Believe it or not i got hyptnotised by a local guy and it worked. A good hyptnotist will work if you follow his directions and relax while hes working with you. No dt’s, nothing at all but comfort

I did the same thing, walked out of there and never wanted another chew again. PM if you want the info. When you thing you want one just stop take a few deep breaths and remember whos in controll. Good luck dont give up. Some hard core people have used the patch with the gum and swear by it.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I smoked for 20 years, tried the patch and had zero luck. Did zyban and it worked like a charm. Haven’t had a smoke in 3 and 1/2 years. I know guys that have been successful quitting chewing by using the gum. They still get to feel like they have a dip in with the gum, so they felt it was easier to quit that way. Good luck.

Fireash911
    Holmen, WI.

My wife told me it was either chewing or a boat. I quit chewing over a month ago (cold turkey) and went out and bought a boat.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Cold Turkey for me.

Smoked cigs for a lot of years. Couldnt seem to quit. Started chewing to help quit smoking. Ended up chewing and smoking!

“Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.”
    Mark Twain

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

For me, it was the wife getting pregnant that drove me to quit. I should clarify, I quit smoking a pack + a day everyday. I still “cheat” when I’m out fishing or having a beer in a bar. However, for the last year, I’ve only bought 5-6 packs of smokes. I’m told this method will fail miserably, but for now it works for me.

I know I’m still putting myself at risk, but so is driving the MN highways!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My surgeon told me that smoking and chewing were probably responsible for my kidney cancer. Ironically, I quit over a year ago when my body just said it was time to quit. No withdrawls, and no relapses. I don’t recommend that route either. I used the gum during earlier attempts. It worked well, but my mind wasn’t ready to quit. Now things are different. I watched my friend’s dad die of lung cancer, and another friend’s mom. Those memories really stick in your head! What a miserable slow way to die! I pray I never see a friend go through that again. We (I) am getting to the age where many of us used tobacco for about 30 years. It WILL catch up to you at some point. I have had numerous lung xrays and CT scans now with this cancer scare. Everything looks good for now, and I am going to do what I can to keep it that way.

Good luck with your effort! Keep trying. Make it your number 1 goal, and tell yourself that you cannot let yourself down no matter what!

Tuck

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Cold turkey for me a little over a month ago. When they started talking about more taxes to add to tobacco to pay for all the ill ones with cancer – it finally sunk in. I have a full can of skoal mint I carried around with me for two weeks I vowed not to open – it’s sitting on the counter at home now – looked at it this morning and said who’s tougher – you or me – I won again. I also wore a rubberband on my wrist and everytime I wanted a dip I would snap myself. Used toothpicks (plain and teatree flavored) also to beat the urge to have something in my mouth. Eliminated the spitoons that had been in various locations. Good luck – it isn’t the first time I’ve quit – up to a year and a half – next time your tempted to just try a little dip – DON’T. It pulls you back in – DONE for good.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I had smoked for 34 years. One day I said I was quiting and did. Cleaned out all the ash trays got rid of everything. Haven’t smoked for 28 years now. First 2 weeks were the hardest. But I did it and have not been sorry for it. tongue cancer I had 2 years ago they think was still related to the smoking. I feel better each day for having give them up. Breathing especially is the best. I can walk faster than most people that smoke and younger than myself. Only because I do not run out of breath. Cigs were 55 cents a pack when I quit. And I thought that was a lot then.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I quit for 3 years once……….Then one day in the bar wiht a buddy of mine, the craving came back and I lit up like I never quit before……….

It sucks!!!

I would like to quit, but when it comes to having a beer or a long road trip in the car………I’m chain smoking.

I don’t smoke in the house and I don’t smoke around kids. I can go 2 days without lighting up, but as soon as I have a beer, it is a done deal……….

My problem is that I enjoy smoking……..So, that makes it hard to quit…..

john23
    St. Paul, MN

BrianK,

I wondered who was paying for the fresh air ads, too!! The ads were developed by MN Partnership for Action Against Tobacco (MPAAT). Their funding comes from the MN tobacco settlement. No taxes, so fine by me. Here’s a link to their site: MPAAT Website

Also noteworthy is the fact that a Ct. of Appeals judge lifted the smoking ban that those ads promoted. It was in effect for less than 24 hours!

John

emover
    Malcom, IA

cold turkey for me too, a little over 12 years ago now. some of my weight gain can be attributed to quitting, but most goes to other matters. the biggest problems for me was severe headaches from nicotine withdrawl. yes cutting back on the coffee did help. whatever gets you through it is worth it. the better health, breathing, less sickness, etc is all worth it. Good Luck!

dave

gary_wellman
    South Metro

By the way…….

Just for a little Friday controversey…….

My father who turns 81 this August, who is as healthy as they come, and who is in the same shape as a 65 year old guy………..Smoked 3 packs of cigarettes per day for 25 years……He has a clean bill of health. No cancer, no emphazema (sp).

My mother smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years. No cancer, no emphazema……..

Don’t know why, but they are healthy??????

However, I know a bar owner who doesn’t drink or smoke who has had 2 heart attacks and 2 heart surgeries……He likes Ice cream!!!!!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That’s like the joke about the old guy who smoked and drank his whole life. He went to see a doctor who was surprised the guy was so healthy. The old guy replied if he knew he was going to live so long he would lived better.

Personally I think it’s all in the genes. I know 80 year old guys who have been eating bacon, eggs, sausages, ham, pancakes, and butter for breakfast for their whole lives and they have no problem with colestereol.

Rootski

pittmd

I am in my 4th day of my attempt to quite smoking. I am using the patches that you wear for 24 hours. I don’t have any cravings to this point. People have told me that drinking lots of water and working out helps a lot.

Best of luck to you.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I approached quiting very methodically. I smoked my last stick on the way to having my wisdom teeth yanked and stayed on the couch for a week. Worked like a charm, until……… I met a girl who liked me, and smoked. So, in an effort to quiet the “I feel so bad smoking around you” statements, I started up again! A few months later, she quit and I wasn’t ready to (again!). I too, enjoyed it a lot…… but I knew there was more reasons to quit than to keep doing it.

4 years later, my mind had once again looked at things very methodically, I smoked my last stick on July 28, 1998 and have been free ever since.

My method? Accountability and self-discipline. No one stresses us out more than ourselves (most of the time – lol!) so I saw quitting as a way to reduce stress as well.

72 hours…… Nicotine is out of the system.
    Rest of my life…… it’s all in my head.
    When tempted or “craving”…… make myself wait 10 minutes. So far, everytime……. 10 minutes is enough time to get my mind on something else.
    Chewing gum always seems to help and it also keeps fresher breath.
    Sing with the radio in the car. Think out loud. Talk yourself out of it by talking about something else.
    Wake up and shower. Can’t smoke in the shower.
    Eat and brush your teeth. You won’t want to wreck the fresher feel.
    Drive and chew gum or shelled sunflower seeds. Get creative!
    ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS……. remind yourself that it’s not as hard as we think it is! It’s not painful to have urges or deter them. Change the mindset, form new habits, change your environment if you must…… but in all considerations, you’re worth it!

If you wouldn’t let somebody else, friend, foe, or acquaintance give you a cancer pill, don’t do it to yourself! Concentrate on the benefits like food tasting better, easier breathing, higher endurance, and not effecting anyone else’s health.

Yes, smoking outside of the house helps but you still carry it all over yourself and if we can smell it, you’re still transmitting the threats that come with second hand smoke. It does effect everyone around you. Develop some compassion and feel good about knowing you didn’t threaten anyone else’s well being today.

I agree (with whoever said it) that any effort to quit is a good effort. But make it worthwhile. Hold yourself accountable. Get a buddy to be accountable with you. Plan a fishing trip and if either of you fail, no trip. Stay home and do laundry. Be POSITIVELY, LOVINGLY, TOUGH on yourself. Get something out of this so create a motive. When your goals are met and your objective achieved, you’ll have much to be proud of and all the better for it.

As months and years pass, look upon the old habits as a point of fragility. Respect them for the price you’ll pay, either monitarily, physically, or both, if you give in. You’re never too big to fall so don’t flirt. Having or not having a smoke won’t make or break anyone else’s acceptance of you, nor will it honestly threaten your good time. Discover what you didn’t know and forever say, “no” to the old habit!

There is no luck in this effort so I’ll wish you all a steadfast determination in winning this battle!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Sing with the radio in the car. Think out loud. Talk yourself

Heck, that’s enough to make be continue to smoke and drink a heck of a lot more…right there!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.