Which outboard???

• pittmd

I am going to be upgrading my boat with a new motor. I want to put a 50hp tiller on and have been trying to decide between the Evinrude 50hp E-TEC and a 50hp 4 stroke Merc.
    Reports that I have read suggest the E-TEC is faster and gets better mpg than the 4 strokes. I am concerned about the trolling ability though. The dealer who sells both tells me that the E-TEC will troll just as good as the Merc 4 stroke. What are you opinions? Anyone have any experience or recomendations on the matter?

Thanks.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

The dealer is correct on the trolling.
    How ever look at the specs of the e-tec.
    Look at how the motors are built.

I have an opinion and it is mine…When considering the e-tec look at what you gain and loose between the 40 and the 50. I found that the $750 more for the 50 was not worth the 3 miles per hour you would gain. But they again that is my opinion.
    I still get 28 MPH with my 40 on a 16ft Lund Explorer.
    My 2 cents

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

I’ve sent you a pm

kwkfsh

Suzuki, Proven reliable performance

evileye
    Milan Il

I,m going through the same thing ,I am going to buy a new boat with a tiller and have looked at both,I want something that will troll 1.5 without a kicker, check in the product forum ,Chris tuckner has some reports on the e tec and he is a guy you can trust to tell you the straight scoop. I did have a 60hp merc four stroke in 03 on a 1675 explorer and it was smooth.

pittmd

Quote:

The dealer is correct on the trolling.
    How ever look at the specs of the e-tec.
    Look at how the motors are built.

I have an opinion and it is mine…When considering the e-tec look at what you gain and loose between the 40 and the 50. I found that the $750 more for the 50 was not worth the 3 miles per hour you would gain. But they again that is my opinion.
    I still get 28 MPH with my 40 on a 16ft Lund Explorer.
    My 2 cents

Thanks for the input Clarence. I assume from your post that you decided to go with the E-TEC?
    I was at the dealers at lunch today and both the mechanic and the sales person told me that I would not be able to notice the difference between a 40hp E-TEC and a 50hp E-TEC on my boat (Lund 1650 Reble). I wish I could find out what kind of fuel economy I could expect to get out of the motor and boat combination. I have read that the E-TEC’s are supposed to be lighter but for the 40hp size motor its 20lbs more than the Merc. 40hp 4 stroke. Also the E-TEC comes with a 7 year warrenty as compaired to a 5 for the Merc. (if they are purchased before the 15th of April).

pittmd

Quote:

check in the product forum ,Chris tuckner has some reports on the e tec and he is a guy you can trust to tell you the straight scoop.

Now all I have to do is find the “product forum”????

clarence_chapman

Yep went with the E-tec.
    I have been very impressed with the fuel economy.
    And the oil usage is almost non existant.
    Last summer I filled the resevoir 2x’s. Once half way through the summer and the other at the end.
    Probably used 3 quarts of oil. Let me tell you I used the motor a lot last year. Trolling and everything.
    I probably put 150 hours on it. If that gives you an idea.
    I can get my boat down to 1.5mph GPS in forward and about1MPH GPS in reverse.
    I was also impressed with what the engin and lower unit. The lower unit is actually the size of higher horse powered motors.
    Where are you located? If you are anywhere near Hastings I could drop it in the river and let you check out a working motor. That would be no problem.

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

How big of a e-tec did you get. I got a 75 on my new boat and am real happy with it. I got it on a pro angler 1700 and it goes about 32 MPH on the gps. You will be real happy with it. Jim

big water
    Andover ,MN

suzuki is the best thing going

clarence_chapman

I got the 40.
    The only difference between the 40 and the 50 is a chip that lets the RPMS run a little faster. That’s why I said that it wasn’t worth $750 for the extra 10 horse.

evileye
    Milan Il

Go to forums from the top of the page and to outdoor products ,I think its on page two or three

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

MDP, you are welcome to take a spin in my boat and evaluate it for yourself. If you buy one from LaCannes Marine in Fairbault, I’ll give you a half day guide trip on Pool 3 or 4. Actually, that deal is good for anyone saying that they heard about it here on IDA until the Minnesota opener.
    If you have any questions on the motor, send me a private email.
    Tuck

Destry

I dont have a customer who purchased an etec yet that has regretted it. I am planning on running a 150 when they release it myself.

fishiowa
    NW, IA

The owners of Algona Marine in north central Iowa run on the PWT and have a choice of any Merc or Honda, they both run Merc Optimax by choice. They say the fuel injected two-stroke is the best thing out there. I don’t know if the E-TEC is fuel injected or if Merc makes an Optimax that small, just thought I share what I was told as I am thinking of a new boat and motor also.
    Everett F

pittmd

Dangit, I knew I was a little to quick on the trigger. I bought a 40hp E-TEC from Al’s Specialty in rochester. They have yet to get it in but I can’t wait. I have to say that it was the IDA and people on it that got me to consider the E-TEC. I started out thinking I had to have a 4 stroke and had all but convinced myself to go buy one.

pittmd

Nice looking rig Clarence.
    Thanks for the offer to test out the motor. I live in Pine Island which is just a little south of hastings if you did not know.

I can’t wait to get mine in the water.

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I’m deffinately no expert on motors here but I run a 9.9 Honda on my small boat and a 75 Yammy on my big boat. Both 4 strokes and I have zero complaints save they are a bit cold blooded.
    My reasoning for going with the 4 strokes was the enviromental issue. Now I’ve read that some of the newer 2 strokes burn as clean or cleaner than the 4s but the fact that California has already banned 2 strokes from some bodies of water there got me to thinking. Right or wrong I can see the day when the enviromentalists get thier way. 2 strokes will be banned altogether and 4s will be the only motor choice. To that end that’s why I went with the 4 strokes. I also don’t miss the noise , smoke or oil slicks of my old 2 stroke.

I’m not saying don’t buy a 2 stroke. Do your research and buy what works for you.
    Say what you will about my opinion but I just hedged my bet not wanting to one day down the road have to replace my 2 strokes for 4s because some Greeny says they are poluting the water.

PS: I have also heard good things about teh Suzukis.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Now I’ve read that some of the newer 2 strokes burn as clean or cleaner than the 4s but the fact that California has already banned 2 strokes from some bodies of water there got me to thinking. Right or wrong I can see the day when the enviromentalists get thier way. 2 strokes will be banned altogether and 4s will be the only motor choice. To that end that’s why I went with the 4 strokes. I also don’t miss the noise , smoke or oil slicks of my old 2 stroke.

ETEC’s burn cleaner than 4 stroke engines. They are over and above the compliance levels set by the clean air act for 2006. California is going to have to reevaluate their ban. Yes, older, carbed two stroke engines are polluters. They are an ancient memory in technology compared to these new motors.
    Tuck

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I agree with you. I did’nt mean to sound like Chicken Little/The sky is falling.
    The polution aspect was’nt THE major consideration for me but it did play a minor role in going with what I did motor wise.

If it were today and I were looking to replace a motor from what I’ve read and heard I would seriously consider an ETEC.
    It’s just amazing ( and hard to keep up with )how motor technology has advanced in the last 10 years.HECK , 5 years even especialy in the tiller motor market.

We are talking California too. A state with MANY over the top laws if you ask me. Who let them into the union anyways ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.