Knot Question

• sallie

I would like to know what would be the best knot to attach Power Pro line to lead line. I would think that because lead line is so much heavier, you would need a knot that is small enough so it wouldn’t hang up on the guides. Any information would be appreciated.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m thinking an albright knot Sal. Going bass fishing are you?

The Albright Knot is primarily used for joining monofilament lines of unequal diameters, such as your main line to a shock leader. It is not an easy knot to tie but a good tight Albright is small and won’t catch on the rod guides during a cast. It is also used for connecting monofilament to wire.

sallie

Hey Briank
    BASS no, no, no
    I have a chart on knots but no Albright. Do you have any information on how to tie it?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You might try a blood not. I use it to tie fly leaders to tippets.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Knots click here

This should work for lead…I’m going to check with Turk and see what he uses too. There might be an easier knot to tie…

The blood knot would work, but I don’t think you can get the lead wrapped too well…but then, I’ve never tried either.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have always used a small barrel swivel to attached leader to lead core.

sallie

I tried the blood knot but it didn’t hold on the slippery Power Pro. Suzuki, last year I used the swivel with monofilament. About a week ago I saw a post where some of the guys are using 10 or 15 feet of Power Pro on the end of lead. I thought I’d try this and maybe save a few crankbaits. The area we fish is snaggy. I’ll try the knot Briank told me about. Thank’s to everyone for their suggestions.

barc
    SE MN

Sal,
    Here is a link to a great article on lead line trolling which includes directions on the ‘lead core splice knot’ on page 3… Trolling Leadcore I was very skeptical about using this knot with concerns about the superline cinching thru the leadline behind the overhand knot on a big fish or a snag. I like to run a short inside rod rigged with leadline when longlining and that really handicaps ya if you try to use a small swivel to connect and any length at all on your leader (i.e. the swivel won’t reel thru the guides and level wind into the reel). Well this has worked great for me, easy to tie, the knot seems strong and it reels right thru to the spool with no problem..
    Good luck,
    barc

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

remember to remove the lead from the sheath down to where the knot will be.

sallie

barc and DMan
    Thank’s for the information. That looks like a good knot to try, and like you said it is simple. If it works for you it’ll work for me. There sure is a lot of good information on this site. I’m all ready to go fishing except I got to get the husband to get the boat out of storage. Maybe this weekend it’ll happen.
    sal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.