I HAVE HAD IT WITH CHARTER CABLE!!!!!!

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Just got my cable bill and it went up again, my new bill is $103
    I have the digital package with the sports package and High speed internet. I am sick to death of dishing out this kind of money to Charter. Anyone out there have there internet though satellite, how would it compare to cable? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yup, I’m in the same boat, basically, I’m having a hard time though, I’m addicted to the 3 meg cable modem.
    You might want to call them up and see if they are running any promotions, it seems like everytime I talk to them they can somehow find me a better deal. Worth a try for the short while anyways. Let me know if you find a good alternative.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Already did that, now the promo is over and the bill went up.
    I know what you mean about being addicted to the 3 meg cable modem

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

High speed dish is about $80 per month. Your cable company might offer a slightly slower speed for less money. They use it as a rentention tool.

I pay about $100 for Direct Tv and $45 for high speed.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I get my internet portion paid through work, but it is still way too high

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

I’m in the same boat, love the 3 meg but cringe at bill time! I would like to hear the pros/cons from DSL users.

gunflint
    gunflint trail, mn

Being a backwoods hick I feel lucky. I have no cell phone coverage so no cell phone and therefore no cell phone bill. I do have satalite tv. (basic package$40) And you probably won’t believe this but with my oldfashion telephone modem I can fly on the internet at a whopping 34k.($17 )I know that none of these things are impressive but, it frees up alot of cash for the important things in life, like fishing.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I have dsl through Qwest. It bills me on my phone bill and I have it sitting right here. It says Qwest choice dsl-$15.00 and then theres a qwest.net basic dsl charge of $9.99 a month for a total of 25.00 per month. I love it. Never had a problem yet in a year so far. Is there any thing faster? It seems lightning quick. You click on something and its there right now. There may have been a hook up charge but I can’t remember. I did away with my digital box for cable cause they just kept raising rates so I say the heck with it. Still get 70 some channels without it.

HOOKSET
    Strum Wisconsin 40 Mi North of Pool 4

I just hooked up to dsl through tri west on a special for 19.95 so far so good I love it HOOKSET

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Not sure if any of you can get it but I belive that HBC out fo Winona has some kinda deal with all three, Phone, Internet and Cable?

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Here’s one for everybody. No matter what state you live in when you look at your phone bill you will find a bill for the phone line about $15.00. But then there will be another charge not sure off the top of my head what it says but it is monthly for each line and ranges by state probably between 5-7 dollars. They tell you this is a federal charge but it is not it goes to the phone company. Something about used to maintain equipment but have you noticed they want you to pay them so much amonth just in case they have to come in your home to fix something that otherwise may cost upwards of $90. They are fleecing every single telephone subscriber, write your state rep in Washinton it’s crooked. You’ll have a hard time convincing them though.

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

I have had everything and finally settled on DSL, slower baseline connect speeds but I am close to the POP and don’t ever have problems. It’s cheap relatively speaking and I have Amish Cable(Rabbit Ears) so I get no bundle savings. Not going to shell out large quantities of dough for something I’d rather not be doing anyway. Sure I miss the outdoor channels and TLC, Discovery and Sports but until they come out with a package where I can just choose the top 5-6 Channels I want and get a prorated discount and not see any of the other crapola at all I’m not buying it. To Gonefishing’s point, there are a few items on your phone bill that are extraneous, one is linebacker which is what you are referring to, this is inside wire insurance and keeps you from having to shell out a large one time fee if your phone line goes down. This does go to the phone company but its optional, you can call them and tell them you don’t want it. The other charges are Federally mandated, some companies choose to list these charges categorically on the bill so you can see them. Others absorb the cost and build it into the bill you get from them so they don’t confuse the customer. Hope that helps straighten that out.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

The high speed through the Satellite is just high-speed download. The upload is still phoneline/modem. So you will still tie up your line when surfing. DSL and Cable are very similar. I have DSL in one of my offices and cable in the other. Basically, the only noticeable difference is what kind of band-width packages the providers offer.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I also have charter and I have been thinking about getting dishnetwork ($40) for cable and get charter internet($29.99). You would save some money. I’m hoping RPU comes out with there super highspeed internet soon. So I can totally dumb charter. It comes through your outlet. They are testing it in some parts of rochester now.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

That would be sweet, only problem for me is I am just outside of Rochester and get our utilities from Peoples co-op

Quote:

I also have charter and I have been thinking about getting dishnetwork ($40) for cable and get charter internet($29.99). You would save some money. I’m hoping RPU comes out with there super highspeed internet soon. So I can totally dumb charter. It comes through your outlet. They are testing it in some parts of rochester now.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Until HBC comes to La Crosse, most of us are at the mercy of Charters Monopoly. I have already cancelled my landline phone. Never used it and paid 25-30 bucks a month so it can hang on the wall and I get my name in the phone book?????

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I believe this internet via electrical outlet is being done in partnership with Hiawatha Broadband Communications (HBC) out of Winona. I talk with one of their tech support gurus on a regular basis (IDA hosts our servers with HBC) and he makes it sound like this system will offer high data transfer rates at a much lower cost since the data will be transfered over the existing infrastructure the power companies already have in place. Hook-up will be as simple as plugging a special modem into any outlet in your home.

Hopefully this arrangement will allow more people to gain broadband access without getting nailed by companies like charter.

Quote:

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Guys,
    get the heck out of the house !!!

I have HS Cable too but I pay $13 for cable…just the minium basics…plenty of TV for this guy…12 channels I think…get the heck away from that tube

herb
    6ft under

No dish or cable here. Get 10 stations off the rabbit ears. Dial-up for internet.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

The problem that I have with cable is the price goes up and up and with 200+ channels you would think that there would be something good to watch.
    Ron

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have charter internet but only the basic TV and pay around 58 dollars per month. I think the internet part is something 42.99 which burns my butt but I don’t want the slower phone dial up again. I spend too much time on here to be on slow dial up. I want to fish alot this year [lots to catch up on from last year, lol] so need the faster interest.
    Thanks, Bill

herb
    6ft under

That’s why I don’t have either one. If I want to listen to music I turn the radio on. I don’t shop at home. And if I wanted to listen to foreign langauges I’d probably work at a meat packing plant.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I live in Rochester, MN and just get the cheapest basic TV from Charter for about $16/month.

This last winter we tried Netflix — 35,000 DVD movies to choose from, no start up or cancel fee, no late fee, and we were able to watch about 3-4 movies per week for $18/month. All movie selections were made on the internet and movies were mailed to our house. Overall their service was great except for about 3 weeks around Christmas. We don’t go to the movie theaters anymore.

For internet access we use Netzero at $10/month and only call on the best of the 4 numbers available to us. Connection speed (usually 50Kbps) and service has been good most of the time.

We use ATT wireless Free To Go prepaid cell phones (now changing to Cingular). We get 40 minutes every 3 months for $11 and any unused time rolls over.

For long distance calling from home we use the landline and a Sam’s ATT card at 3.47 cents/minute. Using 85 long distance minutes a month cost only $3.

Summary:
    Charter Basic TV $16
    Netflix DVDs $18 (only used in winter)
    Netzero Internet $10
    Quest Phone land line $24
    Cingular 2 cell phones $8
    Long Distance Sam’s Card $3

Total = $79/month in winter, $61/month in summer

I would be curious to know the totals of what others spend for TV signal, DVD rentals, movie theaters, landline phone, cell phones, long distance calling, and internet access. These monthly fees can quickly get out of hand as the years of usage accumulate.

Dave Gulczinski

John Luebker

Quote:

Guys,
    get the heck out of the house !!!

I have HS Cable too but I pay $13 for cable…just the minium basics…plenty of TV for this guy…12 channels I think…get the heck away from that tube

I have the same package. 15 bucks with tax and dial-up for 9.99 a month usually conect aroun 49. Fast enough for what I am doing

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.