Keeping my dog in the boat

• buzz4469
    Plainview, MN

I have 15 month old yellow lab who has decided he was put on earth for one reason and that is to retreive anything in sight and bring i back to me. He very obedient on land but when I get him in the boat he does not listen to anything. Including jumping in after the first stick he sees floating by or going after the splash my lure makes when it hits the water. Before I know he is circling the spot the lure went in. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with dog obedience in the boat and what they did to stop the problems thanks.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Try using a rope to keep him in the boat. Make sure that the rope is short enough to keep him entirely in the boat so he dosen’t end up jumping and his head is still in the boat and his body in the water or hanging there trying to get back in. When he wants to jump keep telling him to sit. You especially want a short rope if he decides he wants to jump when your going up and down the river at a higher speed. I had this problem with my dog and it cured her after she finially figured out what i meant.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

My Springer had a habit of jumping in after bobbers when casted out. I use a product called Gentle Leader and put him on a short leash.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

The Gentle Leader works really really well almost like a tack for a horse. Other than that may be ivisable fence your boat?????????? Somthing to think about. I know I would enjoy seeing you two out on the water with it. Good luck.

2Fishy4U

My son has an 8 month Yellow Lab that he couldn’t keep in the yard. Afraid it was going to get run over by a car he bought a shock collar. Generally, I would prefer not to use the collar, but after one shock the dog has never left the yard. And future training has been easy. You turn off the shock and just beep the thing and it makes the dog obey.

Love those yellow labs.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Shock collars are great, but I don’t think they would work for this. I could see the dog jumping in, getting shocked, and then learning not to like water. My buddy accidently hit his dog while it was swimming and now it won’t touch the water. There were some other factors, but I would still be worried about that happening. A short leash sounds good to me.

2Fishy4U

Without elaborating I do think with a shock collar you culd teach your dog whether to jump or not to. That is about what my son did with the yard.

Anyway, best of luck. Those Yellow Labs are great.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

My dog is just fine in the boat. Doesnt do a dam thing UNTIL, you start casting. He too has to try retrieve anything that some one throws. He stays in the boat but everytime soemone casts he runs from one side to the other. You swear he’s going to die if he cant retrieve that lure. So this is a pain sometimes. I know what you are going through.

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

First teach your dog the “whoa” command. Then when it starts to make a move for the retrieve, or jump off the boat, simply say “whoa”. It will learn pretty quickly not to chase anything casted.

Do labs really retrieve whenever they want? I would think you would want a lab to wait for a command to retrieve…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.