How much time to Launch / Trailer?

• fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Was wondering what the concensus was in how long it should take to launch or trailer a boat? I say NO more than 3 minutes.

Lemme preface by saying while I was in the Navy, I was stationed in various cities near the ocean and I used to launch / trailer my 20′ extremley deep V center console in less than 2 minutes BY MYSELF. If I had a budy along it would be much faster. There is no reason anyone should tie up the ramp, especially on busy days, for over 10 min’s.

I just love the guys who load and unload all the gear at the bottom of the ramp before putting the boat in the water or onto the trailer. Get it on / off the trailer and move! You can load gear in the parking lot!

danwi
    westby wi

life is to short to worry about how long it takes someone to launch a boat. I like to relax,enjoy the day on the water and thats hard to do if you start the day off pissed.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m kinda like Dan…but I do try to make sure I’m not the guy that’s holding up the line. Sometime’s it’s uncomfortable and I have to read the persons “body language”, but I have been known to go down and talk/help the guy… Many times …they just aren’t aware of what they’re doing.

But the bottom line is that if a person gets mad at the launch…it’s a sure sign of not being out fishing enough!

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

We were down to Red Wing yesterday and we were sitting just off the boat ramp. Boy did we see somethings to make us laugh. That is on of the best parts of opening weekend when the people get to the ramp for the first time that season and maybe ever. We have seen guys throwing blows to drunks falling in. It’s more fun to laugh then get mad.

herb
    6ft under

DanWi, I understand his frustration. The boat ramps he was using at Genoa has a rigging area. Very large rigging area in fact. Some of the people he’s talking about just don’t have a clue about boat ramp etiquette, others don’t care. I’ve been to lakes in the south that have very direct and to the point instructions about loading and rigging and you’d still be surprised at the number of people who can’t read. I would’nt put a stop watch on it though because every case would be different. I would never rush an elderly person. We’ll all be in their shoes someday.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Some of us sooner than others eh Herb?

While out in Denver I was talking to a fella about fishing/boating in the area. He said the closest lake had a “one off, one on” policy. Wasn’t sure what he meant.

But I guess they count the number of boats and once it gets to the limit…no one goes on until someone comes off. Even if a boat is docked…

This should eliminate any worries about taking too long launching a boat!

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Well I look at it this way. Not everyone has as much experience with launching/trailering a boat. Sure we can make it look easy, but most of us our first few times out it wasn’t an easy thing. Some people have never been told or just don’t know what proper boat load and unload precedures are. Hell, I’ve been pulling a trail for years but sometimes its not that easy backing up just using your mirrors. Or loading your boat with 20 mph cross wind.
    I quess the best thing we as fishermen and women can do is help them out while at the same time giving them a few tips!
    We don’t need any boat rage that’s for sure.
    AFter all that, I do agree, it really pisses me off also!!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I don’t mind waiting on someone in difficult situations. But the ones that back down and then load poles, unstrap boat covers, etc. That is the ones who get me. I will agree with a lot of rude people at Genoa. We have had to instances this year where we could have easily went to blows with smart remarks from locals One I didn’t hear that would have gotten the person a little feedback, but my partner heard it and was being mellow that day. Genoa really doesn’t have a big ramp, but like Herb said, there is plenty of room up above to get ready before launching.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I hear what your saying! But getting mad mostly only ruins your day!
    Some people just dont have a clue.. Last year a guy dumped his ranger on the ramp(not the water on the ramp) then came back the next weekend and did it again.. Some people are clueless! Dont get mad, feel bad! <- for them.

But like we all know if you dont have patience you shouldnt be fishing!

The first time I backed a boat in the water I sucked at it too.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

4 or so years ago I fished the BFL in Red Wing going out of Coville. There had to be a hundred guys waiting to load there bass boats….as we watch a guy and his girl/wife try to load one of those little two seater side by side Sea doos. He had the trailer completly out of site under water and half the tow vehicle backed in. Must have been first time I hope. Him and his wife were so mad at each other. Anyways out of all the fisherman nobody said a word and the guy finally figured it out. Next time I think we’d need to give some helpful advice to speed things up

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That’s why I like getting to the lake at 3 AM. If there’s anyone else out there at that time, they know what they’re doing and won’t tie up the ramp. It’s awful tough watching some idiot unload his car into the boat, ON THE RAMP, but I guess you guys are right about not getting mad about it. Personally if I’m on the ramp for more than 2 or 3 minutes I’m off my game somewhere!

I get the feling people are looking forward to open water!

Rootski

robby
    Quad Cities

I agree that we should be courteous of others when launching or loading by preparing prior to backing down the ramp. But I think that we all need to have patience for some that might not be as experienced as some. Just as we do not own the water, we do not own the ramps. At least I do not.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

All the time it takes to do it safely…
    This time of year, at Genes launch you really need to be careful..I have seen the heavy boats pull your tow vehicle right into the river cause of the icy ramp so go slow.
    Water filled trucks just don’t tow well.
    Over the years I can think of four that I have seen with only the roof showing waiting for a tow truck and diver to pull them out.
    Be safe and have fun..

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I think that if you can offer a hand you should. Some days when I am alone loading my boat I love it if a person offers to pull me out. Some people do not think or know that loading the coolers, rigging rods, pulling of the cover,ect should be done before they are on the ramp.
    I figure that if I am sitting at the ramp I can wait for them because it is better than working. It also gives me a minute or two to make sure I have everything ready. Don’t get mad, offer help, make sure you are ready and go over your game plan for fishing that day. It could be worse.
    Ron

Sometimes the things that you see are worth a good

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Vandy your right there should be a sign in front of genes launch that says anything over 16ft go to Everts or Red Wing the launch is to steep in the winter!!!

I have seen many vehicles in the drink this time of year, over the years.

sd507
    SE MN

I just bought my first boat this year. I can speak from experience that it is very much appreciated when someone offers to help if someone’s having trouble figuring it out. I still have difficulty loading and unloading at times. and it doesn’t help me do it any faster when someone is breathing down my neck and upset. I don’t generaly take longer than 5 minutes but that is just too long sometimes at busy ramps. hopefully the more i fish the better i get. maybe there needs to be a boating information course on ettiquete and proper procedures that could be attended. its slick when you have two people fishing, but that’s rarely the case with me.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I had an incident last spring at a landing. There were 2 elderly fella’s trying to load their boat. Had taken several runs to try and get it straight on the boat. But went on crooked every time. Fially gave up on that and decided they could lift it into place. I was waiting to load mine. Finally seen they weren’t going to get it. So I went over to them and asked to let me show them something. I got under the boat lifted it up with a shoulder and pushed it back just far enough that we could hook the clamp on and pulled it into place. Had it done in seconds. They were so happy. And offered to help me. But I said no thanks and they went on their way. Made me feel good to help the guys And besides that I got a chuckle out of it being I’m a woman and 70 years of age.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Heres a quik tip. Loading alone

Loading or unloading back the trailer in intil the top of the first trailer tire you see is showing.( I have tandem trailer) that way about half your trailer is wet half is dry. On either bunk or roller I have had both, trim your motor up a bit approuch the trailer hit it leave the motor in gear slow and crank it up. Its fast and easy..

Its not unsafe dont leave the motor balls to the walls just enough to come forward. Once the hull is into the rollers or bunk its not going left or right.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I hear you. My problem is that I don’t get out enough and I get rusty. I know what I’m doing but I still can get screwed up. Just yesterday got a little screwed up at Evert’s. I was backing my buddy’s trailer and had to use the mirrors (which I don’t on my rig). And that is definetly a skinny piece of cement to back onto. Nobody died or got hurt.

mm

herb
    6ft under

I also love it when you have a 2 lane ramp and one rig ties them both up, or a 4 laner and 2 rigs tie them all up.
    Briank, that one on-one off ussually means that if it’s the busy time of day, one rig loads up and then the next rig can dump in and so on.
    Then again, there are some lakes that restrict the number of boats and when that number is reached, no more boats are allowed until one or more come off the water.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

The best thing you can do when you see people struggling with launching is get off your dead and help. Often times it’ll open the door for some education on how things might go a little smoother next time. Everyone started without experience and it’s just a few lucky worm dunkers that get to polish their launching skills making it look effortless and being extremely efficient. Unraveled nerves do nothing but further degrade the publics image of all of us fishermen……. My 2 cents, Kurt

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

This story is partially related.. I was pulling my flatbottom out of the water (years ago), got ‘er on the trailor and pulled up a bit….A lady and her husband pulled their flatbottom up to the beach. She went go get the car etc…Well after 5 minutes of not lining the trailor up correctly, you could see the frustration building…He was yelling, she was yelling …they both looked drunk ….

So then they switched places….Now i don’t know what happened, but i looked a way for a minute, and when i looked back, their boat was sunk there at the dock, stuff floating all over, F-Bombs dropping like mayflies on a june day…It was HILARIOUS

I know you guys might not think so, but there was no way i wanted any part of that mess….I had to leave cause i was laughing so hard, but the last thing i saw was the wife beater come off and in the water he went….

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

I have no problem with the inexperienced , elderly or mom and dad taking the kids out. At one time or another over the years I’ve helped several who fell under one of those catagories. No big deal as I too was once a boat launch folly when I first started out years ago. Still am once in a while I’ve been told ).

It’s the inconsiderate folks that test my patience. There’s a difference between inexperience and being inconsiderate IMO and if you’ve done the boat launch shuffle long enough you can tell the difference.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

That is the difference GEEMAN!
    There is inexperience and people who “just don’t know”.

Then there are people who just “don’t care”.

For those who don’t know or are having a tough time, like said before, get off your butt and help them out!!! Atleaset offer, especially if the person is alone. Good grief, I hope somebody is willing to back my trailer or pull me out if I’m fishing alone and the dock is busy!!!

For those who “don’t care”………It ain’t worth getting mad. Why not? For the primary reason what my father taught me………… “SON; NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT……THEY DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!”

2Fishy4U

Ditto Dan, and for the folks that have problems either help or watch. Regarding the latter sometimes it is fun to watch how screwed up up people can get trying to launch or pull up a boat.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

“SON; NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT……THEY DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE!”

Great words of wisdom.
    I usally fish with my dad when I go out and he usally backs the boat into the water and I run the boat. But those times when He isnt with me can get frustrating. I usally am fine backing the boat in until the ramps get busy. When Many people are waiting I seem to get in a bit of a hurry and start oversteering the truck while backing down. Let me tell you it is a little imbarassing with all the people watching. But from what I read most people are dont get mad when someone is a beginner and struggling a bit. I remember one time down on 12 mile here in Iowa it was real windy and these peoples 14 foot jon boat had blown side ways on to the shore. I took off my shoes and socks and helped went in the water and helped them pull their boat off the shore. This obviously wasnt a time to get mad. It also feels good to help somebody out.
    But any complaints about people who put their gear in ther boats while sitting on the ramp I find are warrented. That is a curtisy thing. Nobody who has loaded their boat in the loading zone should have to wait while somebody loads on the ramp.

buzz4469
    Plainview, MN

While alone I try to keep it under 5 minutes. With my wife or a buddy 3 minutes tops. Have a great story as well. Last year down at the West Newton boat launch watched a guy launch his boat without the plug in, park his truck and come back to see the back end of his boat under water. The very next weekend same guy same results.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

Last year down at the West Newton boat launch watched a guy launch his boat without the plug in, park his truck and come back to see the back end of his boat under water. The very next weekend same guy same results.

LMAO How do you let something like that happen 2 weekends in a row

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I think some of you may of mistaken my sarcasm. I quit offering to help those having difficulty about the third time someone threatened to “kick my a zz” for being a smart a zz. Although that in itself would not be an easy task as I am 6’1″ and 250 lbs. But since everyone I have run into that is having problems seems to be an expert, it begins to rub me the wrong way..SO now days I just laugh, and most times out loud. So if your having problems and a big guy in a mirro-craft is laughing at you. Ask for help, or grit your teeth and hurry it it up.
    If your loading your gear at the bottom of the ramp..I may just start telling you exactly how I feel about it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m with you Gary. The people that just don’t care are always going be there no matter what your doing. I see them fishing, snowmobiling, driving etc…..I still get mad though and always will. I especially get tweaked on the ramp since I am always in a hurry to unload or load. I don’t get mad at people stuggling or rookies and I do offer to help some. It’s the disrespectful, self important a$$e$ I hate. I feel better. It’s miller time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.