Other sites

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

I was told about another site at the same time that I was told about this site and I recently explored the other site. I gotta say that IDA is an awesome site comparably! It is definately in a class of its own. IDA is a much more professional looking site and easier to use as far as navigation and readability even though the other site uses a very similar format. I also like IDA’s avoidance of in-your-face advertising, it’s there but just not as pronounced. One more thing that I noticed is that the other site charges the member to use its classifieds where IDA doesn’t. I guess I understand the reasoning behind this but again, IDA doesn’t. Lastly, I think IDA’s gear is better looking stuff although I wish there was a jacket available . With the quality of this site I am proud to wear IDA on my head and on my vehicle Thanks to all that make it possible.

Chris

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You couldn’t have said it better I really agree on the advertising thing going on over there There is a certain tackle company on here that gets promoted in a tasteful way and I have started to buy it. The other site sticks it in your face so much, I get sick of hearing it and won’t purchase any of it. This site is definitely way above ANY other.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I think I know off the site you are talking about. Dont forget the censorship on this other site. Lots of rules to what you should comment on. I was suprised to see they even chopped the posts on the road passes on millelacs.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Oh yeah, and no pictures of dead fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

WHAT other site?

CatchnRelease, I was going to get on my soapbox…but I’ll just leave it at…

I couldn’t agree with you more! The IDA Staff, I’m sure have made some tough decisions now, in the past and there will be more in the future.

They are committed to keeping this site free, which is why I (and others) became Gold Sponsors. It wasn’t because of a hat or a decal or the word “sponsor” by my handle (although as you mentioned I wear the logo’s proudly) it’s because everything costs money including running a website.
    AND
    Personally I’ve saved hundreds..no thousands of dollars since I’ve become a registered member (almost forgot about Stickboy’s kitchen remodel). In fact, I can honestly say…my wife is happier that I’m a registered user of IDA!

So, if you like what you see, want to support IDA’s success AND want to keep your wife happy.

Check out this link:

Click here for IDA support options

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Forgot a couple things….

I’ve learned more about fishing, caught bigger/more fish AND met some pretty damn nice people from this site.

But, no matter how big this site gets, I’ll never eat Lutefisk!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

But, no matter how big this site gets, I’ll never eat Lutefisk!

NEVER say never Braink

I use to follow that sight but IDA feels more like home.
    Thanks to everyone that make this the best sight on the net
    Ron

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good point Slider…

I hope I never eat Lut! (where is that spitting Graemlin?)

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Better be careful, Brian. I may have found a new friend in the RealSwede.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

But I…my friend…have SONOFPUTZ!

stuart
    Mn.

I call it HOME.

crappie catcher
    Central MN

I am still a member of the other site and I have to agree with the comments made here. They make you gun shy of what you can even post over there, deleting of posts is a normal procedure and I think members are starting to jump ship over there.

I started looking for a new site recently and found this one and am very pleased with the info and knowledge of the members here.

I will probably read some of the posts on the other site for a while but doubt if I will write a post on there any more.

Ron

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Yes James does run a very fine sight here and has avoided all the pitfalls of some other sites. Its a place that people who love to fish can call home. A place where all anglers, no matter whether just staring out fishing or if they have decades of fishing experience, can come to and share and feel welcome. And thats all possible because of all of YOU. ”Thanks everyone.”
    Thanks, Bill

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Whats nice is that you can speak your mind even if people don’t agree with you Everyone has a voice. I spend a few hours a day here, Told my brother and a friend and they do the same.
    You all make the site fun and worth the time so I would like to say thanks to all those that Post.( Thanks )

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Yep, no doubt in my mind IDA is a vastly superior site. I jumped ship some time ago! The censor was way to busy reeling in the “First Amendment” to suit me!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

AND…Golf isn’t talked about!!!!

TRZ
    St.paul

I’m very sick of the other site, the censorship is out of control. Rick, the guy who runs it is clearly trying to make his living off the site and any little thing he doesen’t like he gets rid of. i have fished with him at mille lacs on one of the outings and the guy does not know much about fishing and it shows in his site. i have been a member of his site for 4 years but i’ve about had it!

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Quote:

AND…Golf isn’t talked about!!!!

When do we get the golf forum?

Congrats to Phil Mickelson…two victories in a row. $2 million plus this year in earnings. Not too bad for February 14th.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

From the IDA staff, moderators and all of the regular members that help make this site what it is, we thank you all and we’re glad we can make some, maybe even most, feel like this place is home. No one site can please the preferences of all people but if we can keep the majority of our visitors happy, we’ve accomplished what we set out to do… to be the most friendly, open and helpful site we can possibly be. Run by fisherman FOR fishermen.

That said, let’s take the focus off negatives about other sites. There’s a good number of successful websites out there, all a little bit different, appealing to different interests. If we’re doing something here that makes you happy, we appreciate you saying so. It puts a spring in our step and a smile on our faces for the rest of the day. On the other hand, if there’s something we could do better, please don’t hesitate to let us know about that too.

Thanks guys.

jldii

I guess I’ll be the fool here, and ask which site it is everyone is feed up with. I assumed everyone was reffering to WalleyeCentral, but now I’m wondering if it’s a different site.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve talked about this with some other IDA members privately, but I’ll share some of what we discussed. We have no idea how he keeps the following he does over there. The metro area info is plentiful, but I don’t know how accurate. We are definitely seeing a migration of users from there, one thing consistent. Everyone who comes over to IDA can’t stand the censorship on the other site. I know it’s the reason I have’t looked at that site for over a year. The last time I remember posting over there, some Rick wanna be was bashing James and Dustin. Luckily for me, I got to set him straight and proved he was a liar in front of everyone. It’s funny that thread disappeared shortly after….

I’m surprised some of the guides who are “staff” members over there can even post over here.

IDA is the only fishing site on the net worth spending any time on!!!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

IDA is the only fishing site on the net worth spending any time on!!!

Can I get an AMEN!!!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I’ll second that motion!

clarkk
    Eagan, MN

I’m a member at the other site and here. I do like both and think both have something to offer. I don’t particularly care for the rules on the other site either. That seems to be a sticking point with most folks. I’m not a staffer on either site so I can’t comment on that side of things.

I do think the fishing advice here is more trustworthy as far as what works and what doesn’t. I definitely feel more comfortable buying a product that is recommended by a pro staffer on this site. One thing I especially like at this site is that there are “experts” here that are professional tournament fishermen. While most of the pro’s have sponsors, one thing is for certain. If a pro fisherman uses a product, it must work to a degree that helps them catch fish. Also most pro’s on this site will qualify their statements with “I am sponsored by this company” and aren’t trying to be sneaky about plugging their sponsor’s products or drumming up sales numbers for the site.

I don’t particularly care for the subtle (or not so subtle) posts on the other site that are really just ads for a sponsor product. A staff member will post about the success they had with product X and then a couple more staff members will chime in with their success too and then the lemmings all get in line to march off the cliff to buy the product. Undoubtedly some of the products they plug are worthy but don’t insult my intelligence by posting advertisements under the guise of a message board thread. I definitely have my B.S. Radar set at a higher sensitivity level when on the other site.

Bottom line for me, I visit both sites and use the info from both sites that I feel is useful. However I feel the staff here is more trustworthy, the information more useful, and the “noise” level lower on this site.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Amen! Brother Jake!

But someone forgot to move my soap box!

I only know two of the Pro Staffs over there at the “anti christ” site (his words not mine )

Both of them are stand up guys (guides) and I trust their info as if it were coming from my Dad…actually more than if it was coming from my Dad.

Although I’m not a member and only get over there a couple times a year, I’ve found some very good info.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is…if you don’t like Mercury…buy a Yamaha….they will both move your boat.

Almost forgot…My only sponser….is my wife! Happy Valentines Day Hon…I’ll be home about dark…thirty!

glb
    Twin Cities

Well said James.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

, if there’s something we could do better, please don’t hesitate to let us know about that too.

James how about a PM and give me more smallie spots on the pond

James and Pro Staffers- You guys are great. THANKS for a great site.

Ron

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

One thing i’ve noticed here at ida is the amount of accuracy, knowledge and water sense. When i hear the things said about the fishing topics when guys describe there approach or tecnique i can tell its not bull and this is whats happening on the end of thier line. I’ve learned alot especially about those fine tuned approaches that i hear about from all sections of the river. I’ve found that if i want too find out about something perticular i can look on the ida site or just ask and someone or many will always be of help. Its better than a magazine because the guides are always around telling about thier approach on any perticular day or night and a magazine dosen’t cover this as readily as this site does, these are day by day reports and it dosen’t get any better than that. This site is the best spot for up to date, day and night catch information on the current conditions on the Mississippi. This site is the greatest especially for the guys who can’t make it up to fish as much as they would like to. Thanks to all who have made this site possible for everyone else to enjoy and rely on.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

This is a very interesting thread..I’m not sure i know of the other site in reference or even care….b/c in my mind, there IS NO OTHER site to compare IDA with

For computer Geeks like me who’s life is built around fishing, I don’t know what I would do w/o IDA I’ve been here going on @ 2 years and I can honestly say IDA and it’s members has helped me take my fishing to the next level…and I hope I might help others do the same…

One of my new years resolutions was to get BrianK out Bass fishing!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.