In Name Only!

• eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I received a pm recently asking why I used Geronimo as my signature “Nom De Guerre” by someone who shall remain nameless. I decided to skirt the issue upon receiving this query. Having given it some thought in the meantime, I decided to take the LEAP and answer the question for the party in the pink dress as well as any others who may be curious!
    Geronimo (circa1829-1906) is Spanish for Jerome. He was a Wiley old Chirichua Apache leader! As a youth he participated in the forays of Cochise, Victoria, and other Apache leaders. Geronimo, after his capture and confinement, used to frequently bolt the reservation with a small band of renegades and pillage the Arizona countryside , hiding in Mexico.
    As I am not: Wiley, old, Indian, a leader of renegades(at least not since I sold my Harley)and never been to Arizona or Mexico, the question remains “Why Geronimo”? The answer is quite simple, I prefer it to Jerome!
    Jerome (you see what I mean, it just doesn’t work)

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Geronimo,
    A little more history on your name sake. Geronimo was actually held for a while in the Ft.Sill jail, Oklahoma. Ft Sill is right at the town of Lawton in SW Okla. I flew Army helicopters there in the early 1970’s. the artillary ranges there were full of ponds and pits for fishing, and the hunting was pretty darn good to for deer and BobWhile Quail. One area I used to hunt Quail was along a river bottom just on the east side of the hwy, and Geronimo’s grave site is located there. His grave is marked by a four sided pyramid of 3″ to 4″ stones, with his name across the side of it. Brings back some good memories. Thanks Jack…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Ft Sill brings back some really bad memories for me. I spent 15 weeks there in the fall of 1990. My head was shaved and I had to get up way too early everyday to go running.

I covered a lot miles on that post, but I never got to see cool stuff like his grave site. Good history lesson boys!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice leap!

But answers always lead to questions.

Please explain

Quote:

“Nom De Guerre”

for us uneducated folks in the pink dresses.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Kooty, my time at Sill, was actually quite pleasant……..I was there for about 5 days preparing for a CALFX (Combined Armed Live Fire Exercise) We had all the good stuff from the Army, Navy, Airforce, & Marines putting on a big show of force for the Congress to give us more money. We had the B2 bomber carpet bombing, our Apache’s were launching hellfires and 2.75 rockets, lots of artilary, jets, bombs and all kinds of good stuff.

We partied every night for the 5 days I was there………We found some club outside the gates that was restricted to Ft. Sill boys, but since we were not from Ft. Sill…….we found ourself at home!!!, we had a “good ol time” at the “Club”.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Nom DE Guerre: A fictitious name used when the person performs a particular social role! I guess posting on IDA could be considered a “particular social role”!
    Geronimo

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I flew Army helicopters there in the early 1970’s. the artillary ranges there were full of ponds and pits for fishing

I’ll bet you just had a blast fishin them bass!

sorry I couldn’t resist

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Oh…Kinda like Bertha for me?

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Gota tell ya big “B” you break me up!
    Actually my friends call me Speedo, but my real name is Mr. Earl!
    Geronimo

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Jack, I find that very interesting, as I have long had an interest in American Indian history, I would very much like to see Geronimo’s monument some day! Thanks for the G2!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey Jack – It is nice to find another helicopter jockey in the IDA crew. Spent my time as a Slick pilot with A Co 101st Avn Bn in Vietnam (68-69)hence the Comanchero name. I then moved to Ft Rucker and IP’d until I left active duty in 72. Spent the next 30 years in the MN National guard. It is amazing how many former helicopter pilots I bump into.
    Hey Geronimo – it’s a great handle. The Army has always appreciated that warrior ethic and has always named it’s helicopters after the great ones (AH-64 Apache, OH-58D Kiowa Warrior, UH-1 Iroquois, UH-60 Blackhawk). HooRah!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Comanchero………..Was that the Natl’ Guard at St. Paul Airport????

What year did you retire……..I think I might have crewed for you!!!!!!!!!!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Comanchero15, must admit to a little warrior in my sole however its been somewhat muted over time!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I retired in June 2002 (2 years ago). Your name is familiar. I was in and out of aviation most of my career, spent a lot of time in the infantry (Battlion Command, 1st Bde staff), then 34th Division HQ, then the Adjutant General’s state staff and the last 5 years back out at the AASF. I arrived just at the start of the flood in 97 when the hangar drowned. I loved the aviation assignment, the flood of 2001 was an unforgettable experience. We kept her dry that year but we were an island in the middle of a big lake. Every spring we would all pucker up, 2001 was the worst. I flew Hueys in the 80’s transitioned to the OH-58 and flew my last years in the 58.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

From 88 to 91, I was in the Army Reserve at the St. Paul airport. I crewed 58s. From 91 to 94, I went AGR in Texas for Apaches. Then from 94 to 95, I was DOD at the Reserve Hangar taking care of the Cobras. Then, when the shut down the Reserve hangar, I went over to the guard hangar and was a TI on the Cobras till 2000. Then I got out.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Great to see you, Gary. We were there together. You wouldn’t believe it now. Lots of deployments. The Hueys are all gone, replaced by the Blackhawks and they are getting ready to field an CH-47 Chinook unit in the near future. I hope it doesn’t flood them this spring. That is the last thing they need.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Yep, when I left, they were getting ready for the Blackhawks. I see them buzzing around every once in awhile (you know…….black helicopters hovering overhead for the conspiracy theory folks )

Those floods sure were fun in 97. All them carp swimming around…….

Hey, was/is Joel Munson (armament) and Jeff Linder (full time mech/ti) still there????

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Geronimo,
    your welcome on the INFO>
    I am sure I have a picture or two around on his grave marker. If I come across it will send them along to you. It was fully 30 years ago (holy smokes), but if they turn up will let you know.
    as far as the fishing, it was pretty darn good, the ponds were around the perimeter of the post, not right in the middle of the artillery impact areas, those were just barrin, and lots of coyotes. the west range had a good population of Elk, that came across from the Wichita Wildlife area to the north, and it was legal to shoot an Elk on your deer licence on Ft Sill and on the 3 surrounding counties around that area. a friend of mind was the game farm manager and had all the ins and outs of all the game and fish all around that area. Largemouth, big crappies and huge catfish were in the lakes to the north. Lake Lawtonka and Lake Ellsworth. I wass there for 4 years, what a good time. Jack…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.