40 hp Yamaha

• dustytoms

Iam going to get a 40 hp Yamaha 4 stroke tiller new this year . Do any of you Fishermen have past experence with the same ?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have never had a Yamaha, but I have done alot of research on them and talked to alot of people who own them. Everyone that I have talked to that owns one has nothing but good things to say about them, My next motor will be a Yamaha!

dustytoms

sounds like a good motor , thank you for your feelings on them .
    tom

jwellsy

I have been to a couple of Canadian fly-in’s that use Yamaha’s exclusively. I asked them why and they said that they are the only O/B’s that use good enough metal in the lower skifs to weld a skid plate or rod onto. The other mfg’s all use pig iron/ pot metal that doesn’t weld very easy. And they have to protect their motors as much as possible in remote lakes.

dustytoms

thank you for information

ted-merdan

if your boat can handle a 50 hp I would strongly suggest it. The 50 and above HP are now efi and the tiller models have a new feature for 2005 – VTS Variable Trolling Speed – a rocker lever that allows you to adjust the idle speed in 50 RPM increments from 620 – 900 RPM’s. Ck it out here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/subcatinfo.asp?lid=5&lc=otb&cid=19&scid=2&year=2005&cat=Four+Stroke+Series&scat=Midrange

Either way you will be happy with your engine but since you are looking at a tiller the new VTS feature would be a great addition for small adjustments in speed.

ted

dustytoms

Ted
    Along with the additional HP, I supect the weight and fuel comsumption will also increase . But the idea has me interested .
    Thank you for your imput – tom

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

It looks like your right about the weight, but I bet the feul economy would be close with the fuel injection on the 50.

I have a 2004 F75 (carbs) and sure wish they would have had fuel injection last year.

The variable rpm switch would be a great feature for trolling.

ted-merdan

The weight does go up but the fuel economy may be even better – if you run the 40 at WOT and the 50 at less than Wide Open Throttle, the fuel consumption would be less. Either way we are splitting hairs worrying about fuel consumption on four strokes that are 10 hp different. Also to note is the block on the 50 is 33% larger than the block on the 40 that will really make a huge difference!

ted

dustytoms

You have a good point on fuel . I also notice the corporation has a free 3 year service this year . It is beging to sound like a darn good motor for me .
    Any one out there have something to say about the compition for this size motor .
    Merk , Johnson ,Suzk, 4 stroke ?????????????????????????
    Or anyone have anything to say about the Service experence
    with the Yamaha corp.??

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

If you can I would jump up to the 50hp because it is fuel injection new this year.

ted-merdan

Service on a Yamaha – pretty rare…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.