new invention but need feedback

• thompkevin
    Austin Mn

I would like to know what you all would say to an invention that would help prevent the spred of invasive species from one lake to another? without going into detail(it is still on its way to the patend office)this divice would wash your boat on the trailer at the boat launch. I have done some extencive research and found that “some people” just take their boat out of one lake and launch it in another without washing or spraying it down. I am also thinking of trying to make it a law to have one of my devices on every thing that goes into the water and then out again. What do you guys think?? is this a good idea or not?? The cost for this device will be around $150.00 and will be garunteed for at least 5 to 10 years.

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

ANything to help stop the spread of that crap! I’d buy it!

Don Hanson

There are many boaters that are not aware or just do not care about the spread of exotics. Your product seems reasonably priced for the time it would last. Advertise, promote, get the DNR to endorse it, but I would leave the making it a law part out.

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

Would this have to be on in the winter?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

This would handle the outside, but not the live wells, bait wells, any leaks that get pumped out, minnow buckets.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

I believe here in Minnesota you can be fined by the DNR for not making a reasonable atempt to remove any vegetation etc. from your boat/trailer.

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

I’m very skeptical. I doubt this would be able to dislodge a zebra mussel or remove the grass that is hanging from the trailer. This is often held in place because the boat is sitting on it. I guess it would help but I think to only a small degree and I would view any law toward this as simply “symbolism over substance” or in other words just feel good legislation.

As for zebra mussels I say bring em on. They sure make the water cleaner. This is why the bass population exploded in the great lakes.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I was going to reply as Dave B did. Livewells and bilge water would not be eliminated.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

How would it work at removing exotics from the carpeted bunks of a trailer with a fiberglass boat sitting on it?

-J.

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

BTW The patent is very expensive and I doubt you want to go that route. Also, don’t use one of those “invention companies” you see on TV. They have very poor view of them at the BBB. Nearly all are scams. They will tell you anything is good idea if you send them money.

I’m an engineer and deal with patents often if you want to discuss this further.

jwellsy

Would your new laws apply to non-powered craft as well,
    such as sailboats and canoes?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’d say that any effort toward the effort of prevention is a good effort. But I have to agree with some others and say that legislation feels like a line is getting crossed.

I actually see a small income opportunity with the device. Give one to a kid during summer break, head down to the local ramp and offer to “cleanse” the craft for $5.00. If it’s quick and easy enough, maybe service an average of 5 crafts/hour and that’s a nice summer job!

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

I am not sure about the winter time, I guess if you take your craft into the open water, then yes. It will be up to the DNR to make the regs for this device. I am hopeing that it will work as well as the research has proven.

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

I agree that it wont solve the problem of bait buckets and other things that hold water inside the boat, My main concern is for the species that attach to the outside of the craft and are not removed. The inside of the craft and its water holding’s is still the responsibility of the owner or opporator of said craft.

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

In minnesota, You can be fined but The dnr have to prove that you were not going to take your craft to a washing bay or something like that.

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

Outlaw carpeted bunks!! I am only kidding, I am curently researching that problem and hopefully will come up with a solution.

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

If I can get this passed, It would apply to all waterbound crafts including sailboats and personal watercrafts.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

CC, I don’t want to Poo-Poo your idea, but you may want to check with the DNR on this before going too far.

Does anyone remember when the DNR got all freaked out about the zeebs about 6-7 years ago. Remeber the washdown station at the Hasting Ramp? They did it for about 3 weeks before acknowlaging it was basically a waste of time and money to wash down “Trailer Boats”. Zeebs get attached to “Moored Boats” (Mostly barges) and that is where the problem lies.

When zeebs get into lakes they do so in the larva stage, usually in bilge water. A wash down does nothing here!

Also on milfoil. Here is when I lost all confidence in any DNR program to prevent the spread. Lake Vadnaise here in St Paul has been closed to boating and swiming since the 50’s because it’s where the city get’s it water. Milfoil was discovered in the lake some 4-5 years ago. Probably transfered there by birds.

Sorry I’m so pessimistic, but I don’t see any way short of closing every lake and river to all human and wildlife activity to stop the spread. And I’m not totally convinced that milfoil is a bad thing in every case.

-J.

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

This device is not going to “stop” the spread but to help reduce the spread of invasive species. As far as the DNR is concerned, An ounce of prevention is worth its weight in gold. I am not saying that this is a cure for this problem and yes, there is going to be oppinions on the pros and cons of this but i think it will help.

jwellsy

OK, I’LL say it ,
    I think it would be absolutly rediculous
    to put a $200 or more spray bar on a $500 rig.
    I’m sure the boat nazi’s would certainly enjoy
    having a new fund raising scam writing all those tickets.

It is a noble cause to fight invasions of harmful species,
    But this one seems driven more by greed than practicality.

Developing a space age cling free paint or gel coat
    that new boats would have to have would be different.
    Kind of like when catalytic converters were started being put on cars. Cars before then don’t have to be upgraded.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Quote:

This device is not going to “stop” the spread but to help reduce the spread of invasive species. As far as the DNR is concerned, An ounce of prevention is worth its weight in gold. I am not saying that this is a cure for this problem and yes, there is going to be oppinions on the pros and cons of this but i think it will help.

If we are going to make this an ounce of provention then making it a law would make it more like a 12 ounces wouldn’t it?
    I would skip the law thing myself. Seems as if the law aproach is briven more by money than anything else. I feel you would sell a ton just by having it on the maket and getting manufactures to help you.
    Hope I didnt tick you off buy telling you how I felt. But if it helps at all I would buy one Law or no law because I care about the lakes and rivers.
    Good luck on getting it to market.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

If Ken is offering some advise on patents be sure to give him a call,like he said it is very expensive.
    Some of the best ideas in fishing come and go because of patents.
    The inventor gets a loan and pays intrest on the loan,when they should of just made there product and get it to market.
    If some one wants to copy your product,they will patent or not.Then you can battle it out in court,more lost money.
    If you make a great product ,people will buy the name brand that invented the product.
    Be careful,good luck.

jwellsy

Dave, you can do that,
    yet if a product is offered for sale for over a year
    than a U.S. patent probably won’t be granted.

Yes, there certainly are alot of unethical sharks in the invention submission area.

Another option is to do preliminary patent searches yourself.
    Then find a reputable professional to do an independant search
    on patents, litigations, prior art and include an evaluation.
    This should run $500-$2000.
    This should indicate if going forward in the patent process is warrented.

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

I am thankful for all the feedback I have gotten so far. From my understanding, It would not be a wise choice to try to get this passed into law. I guess I just thought that if it was mandatory to have this or a similar product that it would help with the spread of these evasive species. I guess that was targeted more to the people that don’t give a rats butt what harm thay cause to our lakes and our fragile eco-system. I am sure that everyone here is responsible enough to do their part in cleaning off their boats and trailers. Please keep the feedback comeing.
    P.S. This device is not a spray bar, I researched and tested that option and found it to be pretty much useless.

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I’d say give it a try! I don’t think it’s a greedy attempt at making some money! Any little bit that can help stop the spread is well worth the cause! If people think that money is the driven force here, why not give a certain amount to the dnr or some other enviro. cause. MAybe take the profits to sponsor a GTG
    Any little bit helps. I’m sure you’ve done your research.
    Good Luck

jwellsy

By your logic banning recreational use of public waters
    would be well worth it too.

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

Quote:

By your logic banning recreational use of public waters
    would be well worth it too.

what is this suppose to mean????

jwellsy

Banning public use of public waterways would also limit unwanted spreads.
    Would that pound of prevention, be worth a ton of cures?

thompkevin
    Austin Mn

Quote:

Banning public use of public waterways would also limit unwanted spreads.
    Would that pound of prevention, be worth a ton of cures?

I think you are missing the point. The public waterways are just that, PUBLIC. We cannot go banning the use of these waterways. What I am trying to do is to slow down the spread of these invasive species. Nothing that we do short of closeing these waterways or just plain killing off the lakes that are infected will stop the spread. I am not sure if you are just trying to tick me off or mayby I am just not sure what you are trying to say.

jwellsy

The point is, now we are just debating

on where to draw the line in the sand between

idealism and practicality.

edit;These responses were actualy to “Fishon’s” post.

I applaude you for try to do something good,

I just resent more things being forced onto me directly.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.