Vexilar or Aqua View

• TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

If you had a choice, which would you get. My wife finally caved, ( I knew if I begged long enough, she would)and said I could get one or the other. Which would you get, and Why?

Thanks for the info.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I think you’d get more use out of the Vex. You can use those in a variety of situations, and in any type of water. The camera, you’d pretty much need clear water to get too much out of it.
    My $.02.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Personally……..

I would get an Eagle 320 portable for $200 (it has a flasher window). Then spend another $225 on a Marcum camera that they are advertising here on the site!!!!

This way, you have the Eagle 320 graph for your boat, or if you ever need a portable because of a fly-in trip to Canada, ya got it.

I’ve bought an Eagle Ultra Classic back in 97, when I went on my first fly in to Canada. It has been my ice fishing “flasher” ever since. I do keep it in a shack, since graphs don’t like to get cold. But, if it is 20 degrees outside, you are just fine!!!

The graph works just about as good as a flasher, plus you have 4x zoom features, grayline features, good sensitivity features…….

While I have my Old Ultra Classic, I will never buy a flasher……….it works just as good……….in my opinion.

This will cost you a total of $425!!!!

scottsteil
    Central MN

As I have said earlier, I would get an Flasher first, no doubt about it. You can fish without a camera, although they are very helpful. But honestly, I can not imagine fishing with out my flasher.

I have a few for sale again if you are looking for the top of the line MarCum LX-3. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Another key thing about a camera is that the battery doesn’t last that long. Most usage out of a recharge is only 6 to 8 hours max………….

charlieb
    Nashua Iowa

I’d recommend a vex! I’d also spend the extra 100 bucks and get the fl-18. I let the wife talk me out of that one The camera is great….the best way around that is let a buddy of yours bring his, and everyone will be happy Need help let me know……..

scottsteil
    Central MN

Gary, you need to check out a Flasher. There is not a graph out there that I know of that can give you an instant display and feedback like a MarCum or Vexilar can, I have seen them all pretty much. Put your eagle and a LX-3 together down the same whole and use them that way for a weekend. Let me know at the end of the weekend which unit your prefer. I always offer this challenge to people and I have never had anyone pick anything besides the LX-3.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I guess the only time I used a flasher is my dad’s old Lowrance portable box from the early 80s…………

I’ve never really used a flasher, because I always like to follow the “history” of the bottom. Something that you don’t get with flashers…..

And, since I’ve had my little portable for so many years, never bothered…..

Scott, it is all “ping speed” for sonar, right??? What is the ping speed of a Marcum vs. my Eagle???

One of these days, you will have to show me the “light”!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Just thought I would throw my $.02 in.

I have owned a vexilar for a few years now and I love it for ice fishing. I bought a Pro Pack (I think) all set up for ice fishing. I also have the universal mount on my troling motor so I throw it on my bow for jigging for eyes and casting for Bass / Pike (Yes, I occasionally fish for Bass, just don’t tell anyone). So I do get great year around use of it and maximize the usefulness to get more bang for the buck!. I have used cameras and think they are pretty cool, but the flasher will definitely will be a better tool for catching fish. For as type of flasher or anything else, I think it all depends on personal preference, so I would investigate a few (Vexilar, Marcum and etc.) to see what one YOU like better. Good Luck on your decision and Happy Fishing!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Gary, I am not going to get into the technical aspect of it because most guys don’t understand it anyway. So, lets try it this way.

Do this, lift your bait as you watch your Graph. There will be a processor delay….the time it takes your graph to convert the signal it receives to a signal on the display. You will not see this on a good flasher, that is why we call it a real time display. What you are seeing under you is happening at the same time, at least faster than the eye can tell.

Over the years you may have gotten used to this delay and can handle reading the gray display. I can not fish with that kind of delay. That is why most guys on the ice have a flasher.

Put it this way, when it comes to ice fishing, you can take my bait, but you can not take my flasher. That is how important of a piece of equipment a flasher is on the ice.

fireflick
    Alma WI

Thanks Scott for shipping out the Marcum LCX-3. It is already helping me catch fish. I never had one before is guess I didn’t realize how good these things really are. The best thing about it is my 7 year old has a blast with it. He can actually watch is jig go down next to the fish. He gets so excited watching the fish follow is jig up. Best thing about it is I can’t wait to put in on my boat in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the fast shipping of it.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I agree with you Scott. There is nothing better than a flasher for ice fishing. I think I’m just like Fireflick’s kid. It is almost like having a video game in front of you, watching that flasher.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Try fishing without one now! It is impossible!

scottsteil
    Central MN

You got that right Chris

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I remember the way my Dad tought me. 3 arm lenghts on the jiggle stick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.