New Captains!

• riverfan
    MN

Congratulations to future Captains; Jarrad Fluekinger, Loran Waalkens, Dustin Stewart, James Holst, Marty Hahn, Harold Rye, Greg Vandemark, Bill Hubbard Sr., Bill Hubbard Jr., Tom Power, Larry Smith, Lee Fluekinger and Me. All successfully completed the course work and test for the US Coast Guard OUPV license. The class was five days of course work and about 6 hours of testing. There are still a lot of other things to be done such as first aid and basic life support classes, oath, physicals and drug tests but the hardest part is out of the way.

The picture is part of the group at the post-test debriefing. The test was tough so everyone needed to de-stress a little, or in some cases a lot.

A special thanks to Jarred for scheduling the course and finding the facility.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Congrats guys.

Will you be able to apply anything you learned?

riverfan
    MN

The photo is of Captain Bob Townsend who instructed the course. He’s a great instructor and he make the course interesting with his stories. I would recommend him to anyone.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Congrats Guys!

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Which one is Cptn Kirk?

Congrates guys!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats Guys! I love debriefing meetings like this!!!

Now I will feel much safer knowing you have completed this test. Sorry, couldn’t help but express my unhappiness with this stupid law.

Again, Congratulations!!!! I know this was a real pain to take a week off work etc…

jhalfen

Congratulations one and all!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Good job guys

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Hats off to you all good work.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I LIKE MY CAPTINS WITH A LITTLE COKE– WAY TO GO GUYS- CONGRATS.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Congrats Guys!
    John,(aka Captin Kirk)
    Does this mean your boat is now called the
    Enterprise?
    I,I Captain

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Congrats! Hope it’s all worth your while!

emover
    Malcom, IA

A hearty to one and all. I know I hated studying for, taking, and debriefing after gov’t type tests I had to take years ago. You should be commmended for the effort as well as the results.

kwkfsh

Congratulations,

If you think that the hard part is over just wait till you have to study for the urine test. J/K!

My hats off to those who put out the time, expense and energy to accomplish the task of getting their Captains License.

Captain Brian Larson

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’m with kwkfish. I applaude you guys!
    Wish I was closer…been thinking about it myself. It would have been great to take the class with this bunch!

evileye
    Milan Il

Good Job Guys !!! Congrats ,Can’t wait to see you in those white shirts

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Congrats Guys!!!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

First Off I would like to Congratulate all of my fellow classmates.

And John I know when you retire days go by too fast.

However it was seven days of class room…and too me it felt like a month.

Also a special Congrates to John for a 100 percent test score.

Way to go

It was still seven days

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Congratulations to all of you Quite an achievment from what I’ve read.

Chris

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Congratulations Guys, now it’s time to make money without worry.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I too would like to extend my applause for all of you! Congratulations on a job well done!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Kudos to El Capitans, truly a ne plus ultra of achievement!
    Geronimo

shaneedwards
    MN USA

good job what do you use it for just wondering not being a smart a%$

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

100% on the test. Doesn’t that qualify for Admiral?? Congrats to all and one word of caution as Captains….. Beware of mutinies.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

It’s an expensive (near a grand I think) test that all guides in Minnesota previously did not have to take. People say it isn’t easy either. New regulations say that in order to be a guide on MN waters (dunno if it’s nationwide) you need to be licensed by the Coast Gaurd. More of a pain in the than anything??
    Chris

ted-merdan

Congrats guys to the commitment to your profession.

Quick question, how long are you certified for? When do you renew, what is required to renew?

ted

riverfan
    MN

Guys,

Seeing none of the other guys (the testies) jumped in I’ll tackle some of the questions. I suspect all of our attitudes have change a bit now that it’s over.

Derek, will we use much of what we learned…not much. Much of the subject mater is directed toward bodies of water such as the oceans and the Great Lakes. Are we better/safer mariners for taking the course…damn right! None of us will ever look at boating the same way again.

Are we the people that should be licensed? I have mixed feelings about it. However, if the Coast Guard is responsible for the safety of our waterways and I’m taking responsibility for the well being of others for profit, I’m OK with it. Should the CG develop a different license for guys like us, or is the security of our ports more important? I would rather they use their resources on security! Also, in today climate, how many taxpayers want their dollars spent on us? Are there idiots out there that need to be regulated more than us….damn right! The only thing that is required to own and operate a 50-foot pleasure boat is money. Things are changing. Thirty-three states now require some basic safety training before you can operate a boat. I hope MN and WI will join the other states with requirements soon.

The regulation applies to navigable waters patrolled by the CG. Most inland lakes are exempt so the requirement doesn’t apply to all guides.

Ted, The license is good for 5 years. Renewal is free as long as the application is make before the 5 years are up. Forget to renew on time and you have to redo the test.

Greg, I can plot a course psc, calculate the distance off, and figure out the ETA, but I can’t count days…doah!
    What does that say for common sense!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

Seeing none of the other guys (the testies) jumped in I’ll tackle some of the questions

Perhaps you are the only one with enough sack!

I’m sorry John but when you referred to them as “TESTIES” I just could not resist.

I hope the rest of you know I am just kidding!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.