” What was your first boat”

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Mine was a 1970 something 14′ Alumacraft V-bottom with a 6hp Sea King. The boat was a bright blue with a tilt trailer. The motor was a pile of junk. You had to keep a bag of spare shear pins, it sheared them for no reason . I spent more time leaning out over the motor changing the pins and trying not to lose parts in the water . I have had 4 other boats since then. That isn’t too bad, but I bought that first one in 1995, a year after I moved to WI. I just can’t decide what I want .

davec
    St. Paul MN.

My first Boat was a 1988 PM 180 Starcraft with 75 horse tiller.I thought I was pretty hot being 21 and haveing a rig most guys would have killed for,but I pulled it with a rusty 76 T-Bird.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

My first boat was an older style 12′ Coleman Crawdad, all green not like the new ones now with white moled placstic inside. Wish I still had that boat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ryan!!!

Quote:

1983 Lund Mr.Pike model with a 55 Suzuki

If you tell me your dad bought this for you…I’m going to tell you that you were a spoiled bratt!

Dave C is off the hook…his T bird was rusty….

“Mr Pike”…jez…the only thing we called Mr Pike was they young man they named the peak after…

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

1979 14′ Alumacraft F-7 and 15 hp Evinrude. Still have it and it runs great. I can’t imagine the hours on that motor.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

MY FIRST BOAT WAS A 1954 HERTERS WITH THE SEE THREW FIBERGLASS BOTTOM. IT JUST DROVE PEOPLE NUTS WHEN I WOULD TAKE MY 3 HORSE EVY WITH 360 TURNING AND REVERSE IT SO THE EXHAST BUBBLES WERE UNDER THE BOAT WHERE YOU COULD SEE THEM. EVERYONE THOUGHT WE WERE GHON’A SINK. SOME PEOPLE WOULDN’T EVEN GET IN IT BECAUSE THEY COULD SEE THROUGH IT.!!!
    WENT WITH MY DAD AND GRAMPA TO WASECA TO PICK IT UP.

GUNDY

WILL THERE EVER BE A IDA SPORT SHOW?

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

My answer to this question is two-fold.

My first boat that I fished out of was my fathers old boat, a 1970’s 14′ run-about with 35 horse Merc.

The first boat I bought was two years ago when I bought a 2003 Lund Angler 1700SS with Yamaha 115 Four Stroke and this is the boat that I hope to be running for many years into the future. The only two ways that my setup will change is:

1. A new house with a 25′ deep garage and 9′ wide door.
    2. My despensable income warrants an upgrade.
    3. A wife that will give me permission.

Take care!

Bob Bowman
    MN

It was a 1993 Alumacraft Competior 170 with a 60 Yamaha Pro tiller. I just up graded last year to a new Alumacraft 175 Tourny Pro with a 90 Yamaha 4-stroke tiller. The 1st boat was a great boat, but I can’t get over the floor space in the new one. Either way they both have created a lot of good memories on the water and that is what it is all about.

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

My fisrt boat was a 12 ft alum boat that my wifes grandfather no longer wanted.I took her home painted it and got it registered and away I went.I used only a trolling motor and oars and hauled it in the back of my truck.After that came a 16 ft Legend I bought from my brother in law who keep it in great shape for me.Then I refurbished my father in laws old sylvian.And now I have a 04 Stratos 285.Talk about coming up through the ranks.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well my first boat was a wedding gift from my best man. it is a 1973 (i think) tri hull thunder craft from bethel marine. it has a 75 horse merc on the back. I still have that boat and I have caught alot of fish out of that boat and look forward to catching a few more. I have to put some new additions in it this summer and hope that if i need help, someone out there and rigged a boat similar to this.

shane

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Mine was a 1970 15′ Duracraft. I bought it when I was 16. I had just gotten my license so I figured I needed my own boat.
    Boy, I had some good times in that boat. I drove it for three years.

Lenny Jamison

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Mine was a 1955 14′ Alumicraft semi-V. Bought it and homemade trailer for $250 in 1982. I had to borrow my brothers 1956 5 1/2 HP Johnson to push it until I could afford to buy my own motor the following year. I then equipped it with the maximum allowable power, a 16 HP, 1980 Suzuki Spirit. Thought I had a real race boat there. I still have the whole rig, although it seldom sees water any more. Gets an occasional nod for fishing ponds and the Rock River when it is low. I fished from that boat in all weather for 12 years, and probably caught as many fish in it as all other boats combined. I would have to tow a duplicate boat behind now to hold all the overflow rods, tackle, and equipment that I feel the need to bring on the water!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Where’s the rod holders on that trolling rig?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Good one Bud!!!

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

1982 Bass Tracker 3 with a 40 Merc. No tilt or trim and a old style Minn Kota foot controled trolling motor that took all your weight to steer it. Caught a lot of fish out of it though.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

16′ Lund with a white 15 hp Johnson and homemade trailer. Don’t know the vintage of that motor but it is still out in the shed if I ever need it again.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

A 14′ 1964 aluminum V and my dads 9.9 merc.

SWEET Boat.

Bought it my first year of college. Had it for over 10 years. Even pulled it down to Memphis when I had to live there with my Ford EXP, a two seater 4 banger. Only could hit 45mph going up the hills.

Caught lots a fish out of it and learned a bunch as well.

Just sold it 2 years ago. Put the sign up in the yard and I did not get back to the house before someone stopped and bought it.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Now I know what to do with my kitchen table when I buy another one, Im going to put a suntarp on mine.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Here is a photo of my Dad in 1957 on the Hudson River.
    Now that is a boat. That is in Poughkeepsie New York..Just north of the Highland Bridge.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Reefrunner, what year of motor is that? It looks like an old 6 cylinder merc from the back with a reworked cylinder water cover. It looks like an evenrude from the front. It looks like the motors reworked for racing. Do you know any perticulars on it?

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Don’t have alot of infomation on the motors.
    My Grandfather had a Marina and was into playing with boat designs on some of the first racing boats on the east coast.
    Here is another picture of another boat from 1952. I wasn’t even around yet.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Here is one more from I believe 1940.
    My father age 3..One of the early rigs.
    Ok I will quit with the archives

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Reefer, great pictures from the way it was days!

GUNDY

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

First boat was a 16′ aluminum Starcraft v hull powered by a 50HP Mercury! Caught my biggest muskie (50″) while on board.

sjh62
    On the border-Trempealeau

1971 14′ Starcraft.Bought it from a buddy that was desperate for cash for $175.Somebody ripped off the Johnson 15 that he had on it,so he sold it to me for cheap.I used a freebie Sears Ted Williams 7.5 hp motor(Eska).Probably one of the worst motors made,but it was better than rowing.Not much power to it when it got hot.

Bought a 1981 25 Mariner for a whopping 699.00 (new)and that boat FLEW!

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.