I will never spend another dollar at TARGET STORES

• asdfasdf

I will never spend another dollar as Target Stores. I had to take it up with the Better Business Bureau, but I just learned that they will not return a two week old car seat, EVEN WITH THE RECEIPT! In no area does it state their return policy on carseats, you open the box on a car seat and if it doesnt fit your child/car you eat the bill/carseat. My family will never spend another dollar there!!!!

-Mike

Here is my formal complaint.

Quote:

On October 29th, 2004 my wife had purchased a carseat for our son. We only had used that carseat once as it did not fit right in my vehicle. Therefore my son never fit correctly in it. So it became a matter of safety. Shortly thereafter we purchased a new seat because Target did not have any other products we were interested in. On November 16th, 2004 we finally had time to return this seat which was purchased for $99.99. Target refused to take this car seat back stating that they don’t accept returns on car seats when the box has been opened. Nowhere in the area where the seat was purchased nor in the customer returns section did it state this policy for carseats. I actually went into the store and took pictures in both areas to prove this. I tried to settle this with Target Corporate but they are unwilling to budge and siding with the store. I not only was able to provide this product with it’s original box, but also with the original sales receipt. They will not even offer to provide store credit. As a consumer this is absolutely unacceptable for them to sell you a product and fail to notify you that you cannot return the item. This item was used for no more than 10 minutes once it was deemed unsafe/incompatible. I thank you for listening to my formal complaint with Target.

Sincerely, M. Cayford

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I filed a claim with the BBB against Dish Network. I personally think the BBB is a big hoax. They did little more than send me a letter with my claim info. I replied. Never got anything back after that.

Larger corporations loose sight of the values that got them large. It’s frustrating to hear stories like this, but as big business keeps getting bigger, more and more stories like this will come out. It’s sad we as comsumers have little defense other than to go to the other big store, Walmart, Kmart etc… I miss the ma and pa shops!!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I feel bad, but I believe this may be a state or Federal law. I remember seeing something on 60 minutes or one of those shows about how used carseats can be unsafe if they were in an accident. They probably adopted a policy of not accepting any carseats for refunds (you can thank lawyers for that).

I am not sure, but it may not be there fault.

Sounds like an item for the IDA classifieds.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Mike!

I believe no company will take them back. They won’t take them back for the fear that maybe you had tampered with it or the car seat was in an accident. Either way (of course not saying you would or did!!), if that was the case, they took the car seat back, and someone else purchased it and had an accident where the child was injured (or worse), Target would be liable.

They will not take it back to protect you or me as the end user or consumer.

They are looking at it in this scenario:
    Once a car seat has been in any type of accident, it is recommened that the seat be discarded and a new one purchased.

Now, say that you were in an accident, knowing that you shouldn’t “reuse” the car seat, took it back to Target, got your money, bought a different one. Then Target puts it back on the shelf………Then I buy it, have an accident, and my child is injured, because the seat was damaged (unknown by anyone) in your accident? If that happened, I would be the sole owner of Target!

Sucks, huh?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll pass on Target if at all possible, but for another reason……

This year they decided to ban the Salvation Army donation kettles from all locations. Some BS reason about being politically correct.

The best response locally here in the Twin Cities > CUB Foods says, they will welcome 2 Salvation Kettles at each location!!

I just can’t pass up a kettle without tossing in whatever pocket change I have.

-J.

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Quote:

I filed a claim with the BBB against Dish Network. I personally think the BBB is a big hoax. They did little more than send me a letter with my claim info. I replied. Never got anything back after that.

The BBB is a Joke, simply because the companies that are listed with the BBB, pay to be a part of it. Why would the BBB, do anything to help anyone that isn’t paying them?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

That really does suck, that Wal-Mart will take a return on a car seat, and Target won’t. I can see why Wal-Mart is bigger than the Beatles now.

As for the BBB, they just don’t have any real power. They only have power if the consumer or potential employee seeks information before the fact of doing business with a particular company. They are a good resource, but that’s about it.

Jon, I hadn’t heard that about Target, but now there is another valid reason to like Fleet Farm better!

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

IS IT TRUE THAT TARGET IS ALSO REFUSING PEOPLE COMING BACK FROM IRAQ THEIR JOBS BACK? THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK. I THOUGHT I HEARD THIS ON THE RADIO ONE DAY.

GUNDY

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

BTW-Mark Dayton is enough reason not to shop there.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

IS IT TRUE THAT TARGET IS ALSO REFUSING PEOPLE COMING BACK FROM IRAQ THEIR JOBS BACK? THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK. I THOUGHT I HEARD THIS ON THE RADIO ONE DAY.
    GUNDY

I don’t think they can legally do this. I believe they have to have a position for them when they get back, but not necessarily the position they had when they left. I’ll have to brush up on that section of the employement laws.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

That is NOT true. Target even extended ther insurance time line for those who are in iraq so they will have ins. for there familys while they are gone. And as the post above say it would be illegal they need to give them (a) job back at the same pay scale.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I don’t beleive that they are refusing jobs to the vets returning from Iraq. That is against federal law. As Skhartke stated, it doesn’t have to be the exact same position, however it must be a position that is equal to or greater (in pay and title) than what the employee previously held.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sounds like Channel 5 News time!

It doesn’t matter what their policy or the law is…as long as it’s posted somewhere!

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

THANK YOU FOR THE EXPLAINATION ON THE RETURN LAW. I WAS LISTEN TO A TALK SHOW HOST ON THE RADIO THE OTHER NIGHT AND HE WAS GETTING OPINIONS ABOUT TARGET NOT ALLOWING BELL RINGERS IN THEIR DOORS AND WHEN HE DID THAT IT WAS MOTHER BAR THE DOOR!!! PEOPLE CALLING FOR AND AGAINST AND THEN ALL THIS OTHER STUFF GOT THROWN IN.

GUNDY

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I do not care for Target much as they do not have a hunting dept that I know of.
    As most of you probably already know Kamart bought Sears, I wonder what there policies are on returning car seats? Look out Target Kmart will now be the 5th largest retailer!

buckmaster

You hit it on the head Steve………no hunting department. That there is the one and only reason I need not to shop at a store like that.

Sorry to hear about that return deal.. $100 is a $100!!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

This was quite a few years ago when I went into the Target in Rochester and asked them what happened to there hunting dept, I was told that Target would no longer carry products that could harm people or animals, as in guns.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Alwin Lewis just sat in the CEO’s chair at Kmart.

This guy is an awesome leader. Knowing Alwin personally..I think within a year you will be seeing many good things coming from Kmart.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I have Terri from Target Corp on the line right now…I’ll PM you with her phone number and the case ID…

She claims if you have the receipt and the seat isn’t in a “used” condition they will return it. “Used” would mean stains, spills…accidents.

Give her a call and have your receipt ready….Good Luck!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Brian!
    That was the nicest thing I’ve heard anyone say or do all day!

Way to go.

But, on the other hand (since I like to be the devil’s advocate once in awhile ) I don’t think there are any federal or state laws that force a company to take back an item, because the consumer was at fault buying it. Now, before everyone “goes off on me”, listen up! Just because you (consumer) buys something that doesn’t fit your needs (not due to false advertising), doesn’t make the store responsible for taking it back. Stores take product back soley for the purpose of customer relations. Most products taken back are only 10% fault of the company. However, because the 90% take stuff back, the store eats it, to keep good relations with the 10% crowd.

The company is not forced into taking merchandise back that is not defective.

Do you think that if I might not like the used boat I bought in a month, I can take it back and get a full refund of money???? Just because it “doesn’t fit” me for walleye fishing?

It is courtesy that business’s give cash back to customers that don’t buy the right goods. It is not a right!!!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yup I got screwed by target for $7 because, I wanted to exchange a brand new in the box mini blind that I bought the week before, in cash, (lost my receipt) because it was almond in color not white like everyone else on the shelf, they after talking to several stores and their customer service reps would not do anything for me, for a $7 dollar blind that was still brand new, totally stupid, trust me I’ll get myself a new blind, and they will take the old one back, and then on top of that, the will incure more financial stress from me. Kiss my Target. I’m tempted to contact a very high up corp exec because of this, but honestly I don’t think I would want to be bothered for a $7 item if I were in his place, so I’ll have to do it my way.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Nick;
    Buy the new one.
    Then take the new receipt with the old blind back and get your money back.

Mike:
    As far as “false advertising”. I understand your frustration. However, unless the product states it will NOT fit your vehicle, then it isn’t false advertising. If the product states it WILL FIT your vehicle and it doesn’t, then that would be false advertising.
    Bud, I know this is frustrating, beyond no end. And it sucks! But, I really don’t think there is much that Mike Hatch is going to do for you……..I wish you luck!

annmarie
    Des Moines, IA

Try taking your seat to another Target. As long as itis in within 90 days you should be able to return it. Target destroys them at the store level and then is reimbursed by the manufacturer, not to go off, but this is one of the reasons your $20 car seats cost $100. As for the salvation army, Target is not allowing them in front of the stores due to the fact that if they allow them they must allow everyone and anyone to stand in front of their stores or they could risk a law suit for discrimination, there are areas of the country that would literally have 15 organizations blocking the entrance to the building. Its not that they don’t want to give to a good charity, in fact they will give over 100 million back to their communities this year. Go to their web site and look at how much has been given to each of your school districts in the form of cash to use at the schools discretion for people using their Target Visa. There are no longer hunting and limited fishing dept in the stores because the clientel that Target caters to is not who would be purchasing this product, Target needs to answer to their shareholders and unfortunately there is limited profit in these areas so for those reasons they have left it to the Cabelas, Sheels, and other to specialize in this area.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Just for the record, I work at Sams Club and they periodically carry car seats. The best thing about Sam’s is that they have an unconditional no questions asked return policy. Within the last month we returned a big screen t.v. that was over 2 years old. The reason for the return was that the picture didn’t work anymore. 2 YEARS OLD!! The t.v. is going to be repaired then resold in our clearance area to mitigate our loss. The only bad thing about the return policy to me is that the loss is considered shrink and is taken from the employees profit sharing at the end of Sam’s fiscal year. I am just a student therefore I’m not too worried about the return policy eliminating profit sharing in the future. But once I earn my bachelors degree and quit Sam’s I will continue to be a member because they do have some nice prices on some things and that wonderful return policy.

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but, go to Wal-mart and see if the have the same carseat. If so, try to return it there saying that you got it as a gift. It might work it might not. We all know that it wasn’t in no accident, so you shouldn’t feel guilty. Good Luck!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

BBB wont do crap other than listen to both sides and file it away. You need to file a complaint with the Attourney General Office.

MrSeaguar

The problem with no shopping at stores that anger you is that you will run out of stores eventually. My wife is a shopping master 19th degree Black Belt and when I spend quality time thats what we do. I have to say this in Targets defense: the chicks wandering around there are way hotter than the walmart chicks. WAY hotter.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Targets defense: the chicks wandering around there are way hotter than the walmart chicks. WAY hotter.

Now that’s funny!..unless your a female at Walmart

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

I have’nt stepped into a KMart for I bet 10 years. The last time I was shopping with my daughter who is in a wheelchair. They closed their “handicapped line” so we ended up going back out the doors to go in the out door to get to a line and wait til the cashier decided it was our turn to check out. That was it for us! Now with them merging with Sears, don’t think I will go there either, not that I go there too often anyways. Sad how instances, no matter how old they are, still burn your

gary_wellman
    South Metro

mmmmmmmmmm……….Victoria’s secrets!!!!!!!

That is like deep fried perch……….Good eat’n!!!!!!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.